Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Winter plans here (if not prior) include:
Replacing the RR on my 800SS Ducati with a FH020 Shindengen unit (already in my possession). Fork oil change too.
The Honda CBR will (finally!) get the Signal Dynamics voltage monitor installed once and for all.
The 900SS needs/gets nothing.

Thats about it here, for now at least.

Edited to add.....the FH020 swap was completed this morning to great success ....14.3DCV at 1,000RPM.....required relocation of the horn and easy mods to wiring harness. Fairly straightforward stuff, permanent and now DONE.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,723 Posts
I'm going to have to find something to rock the forks with. I'm getting the feeling there's more going on than just a fork oil leak.

·
Registered
2003 500R
33 Posts
I'm going to have to find something to rock the forks with. I'm getting the feeling there's more going on than just a fork oil leak.
I went to my local small hardware store that sells custom windows and they gave me an off-cut (4"x14") free of charge. Maybe a framing shop (paintings) could have something too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Holy cow, after nearly 4 months, I just got a notification that the Bridgestone rear I ordered has shipped! Guess it'll be a fall project and not a winter project. Maybe I'll even get to ride it before the snow falls.
I'm going to bite the bullet and replace the flywheel as well just as precautionary from everything I've read on here. Going to take a chance on the "RM Stator" replacement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was dreading removing another 30 year old tire (date stamp '229'), and it was as much of a battle as I expected it to be. The new BT-46 spooned on in about 5 minutes. Only took a few weights to balance, so that was good. I went out for a cold ride yesterday, and it sure felt a lot better than the hockey puck that was on it before! It was probably about 42°F outside, and one thing the surprised me was that the temperature gauge barely lifted at all over the "cold" section of the temp gauge. Both freeway and around town. Carburetor tuning felt better when it was summer. Oh well. It felt better the hotter I got the engine, but it just never seemed to warm up much.

Still doing some more research before I swap to the RM Stator flywheel. It did show up this week though.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
42 Posts
The BT46 is a great tyre all round. Excellent on the road in all conditions and surprisingly good on the track as well.
I'm looking forward to giving them a proper ride. My plan this year was to get my first bike (~15 years ago, 1984 Honda VF500F) and forever-project out to Blackhawk Farms this year to try out the BT-45's (and everything else, hah) on the track. But I got side-tracked and focused on my SV650. It culminated in going for my racing license at the last CCS weekend of the year. That was... the most fun thing I've ever done.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

I pulled off the EX500's stator cover just to get a look at the Flywheel. I need to order a flywheel/clutch holder. I'm certain I could get it off now, but I don't think I could get it back on correctly and be certain I had it torqued correctly without it. Of course, since I just got finished painting a bunch of components for the VF (and some EX), I'm staring right at the knackered looking paint on the EX500 stator cover thinking... dammit. I should have done this before. Especially with how nice the paint turned out on the EX's chain cover. Both had their paint ruined by fuel leaking down from a failed petcock.
Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

So with how nasty it was to get the hardened gasket off, I figure the stator has to come out to clean everything. And now I'm staring at the stator case cover, and it's just begging for paint. The problem is I don't have nearly enough components needing black paint to justify another can of 2K clear--and I don't trust that it'll have any durability without it. And it's getting too cold to paint, fast. Gah, I need to find some more things I need to paint black immediately! ... or find a friend with a paint booth.
Circle Auto part Bicycle part Metal Art

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Bicycle drivetrain part

And this is why I never get anything done on the house. A couple hour-long projects turn into weeks or months! I'll replace my 1961 toilet and shower...sometime in the next 20 years.

·
7,723 Posts
oh crap, I realized I've been responding to the wrong thread... I'm an idiot. I thought this was the "what are you winter projects" thread.

My bad.
I'll move them for you.

·
Registered
87 ex500, 81 gs1100, 74 xlch 1000, 72 cl350, 03 525 exc, 14 wolf 150
4 Posts
I, too, will be taking on a winter project in the form of an ex500 rebuild with intentions of testing at Blackhawk farms next season….

I will share more as the project progresses. Hopefully pretty straightforward. Step one is to rebuild the electrical system in my building’s basement, and step two is to get the EX down a flight of stairs. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got the OEM to RMStator flywheel swap finished last night. We'll see if I get some time today or tomorrow to fill the bike back up with oil and verify I did it correctly. Painting the left side engine case really helped fix the major nagging aesthetic issue on this bike with all the paint damage on that part.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Every new maintenance task is a learning experience, and I certainly learned some things doing that flywheel.
  • Have a strap wrench in your arsenal
  • Make sure your flywheel removal tool has a long enough bolt. The RMStator one that came with was too short.
  • Use some heat and a soft hammer to help jostle the flywheel to remove it in addition to the flywheel removal tool -- Reason being... it damaged the lip of left hand threads, so I couldn't thread the damn bolt back on! I had to order a 10mm 1.25 left hand thread dye to clean that up. It worked fine after I re-chased the threads.
  • 25ft-lbs on the starter clutch bolts is tricky to apply.
The RMStator replacement is actually a good bit heavier (starter clutch was removed when I weighed them).
  • OEM = 1265g
  • RMStator = 1396g
Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Tire

The only installation instructions from RMStator was about adjusting the airgap between the flywheel and raised node. Mine was well over 0.010" with the RMStator flywheel, but it was tighter than OEM. I rotated the engine quite a bit after reinstalling the engine cover, and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I did not see how it could even be adjusted--it didn't look like the pickups could be repositioned, but I didn't go digging too deep into the literature to find out if that was true since the gap looked fine.
Eye Human body Rectangle Purple Violet

I guess I'll find out if I did something catastrophically wrong before too long.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh yea. She all good now. Time to give it back to my dad, so he can put it in a garage for 5 years and not ride it. Nahhh it'll at least make it to the MotoAmerica races at Road America as a spectator next year. I took it out for a decent ride today to make sure everything was working right after the flywheel swap. This was probably the last weekend before the weather turns to... depression.
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Sky

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Having reassembled my '87 EX, I move on to a long forgotten '82 Yamaha XJ650R. When finished, it should look quite similar to this example - except for EBC discs and Marzocchi rear shocks. Doing tapered roller steering bearing and progressive fork springs at this time.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Oh yea. She all good now. Time to give it back to my dad, so he can put it in a garage for 5 years and not ride it. Nahhh it'll at least make it to the MotoAmerica races at Road America as a spectator next year. I took it out for a decent ride today to make sure everything was working right after the flywheel swap. This was probably the last weekend before the weather turns to... depression.
View attachment 57308
Looking good! We had an excellent, hot and dry summer. Then, in mid October, it just took a dump. Wet snow last night.

Reactions: MattTries

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Early winter? Mid day highs forecast easily -10 degrees lower than normal for this time o' year.......I've opted to winterize 2 weeks earlier than my Dec 1 normal cutoff. Though I've left my 800 ready to go, just in case. Disappointing end of season to say the least. Already looking forward to next year!

·
7,723 Posts
We're hitting 20 degrees lower than normal. Sub-freezing temps. I've opted to push on, at least for the time being.

·
Administrator
16,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Now reconsidering final winterizing of the 800. Winter weather hit way ahead of time, I believe my season is now done. So much for global warming bs, eh?
Will transition my outdoor shop to indoor basement area as well.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts