Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

· Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Sink or swim, no? Gotta tell you, I'd take tuning a carbset over injection anytime.

Happy Gesture Finger Font Publication

• Haha
Reactions: auburn

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
monthly battery bump charges underway today

#comeonspringdammit

• Haha
Reactions: FlipFlop

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
More winter layoff time spent in a very positive direction......my version of the Ducati special tool threaded exhaust plug-in adapter completed today. Come spring, i'll cut the tubing to usable length during the 1st session with the Gunson CO reader. How'd I do?

I bought a 2nd fitting (with a vacuum barb) for use as an alternative, if actually needed. Instead of long tubing, hose will slip directly on to the fitting. Heat may be a factor, thus considered "alternative" at this time. We'll see.

Wood Flooring Floor Tints and shades Rectangle

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
#comeonsppringdammit

run full out of winter "to-do" ideas. Bored silly, can't wait to ride! Hell, I'll build up a couple of EX MOSFET conversion harnesses.

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Yet another "winter project" I chose to delve into.....self-learning basics of welding. Never found a need till now.

Reactions: auburn

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
using a flux type (el cheapo) electric welder

· Registered
2,820 Posts
using a flux type (el cheapo) electric welder
Ah ok very descriptive, one assumes you mean a stick welder, rather than the much easier MIG welder, cost is about the same for the equipment, every type of welding requires a different approach. stick welding is better for heavier materials (more penetration) but blows out thin stuff without effort. MIG welds most thin stuff easily (more control) but doesn't have the penetration for heavier stuff.
hardest part of stick welding is rod selection (there are different rods for different jobs) and AMP selection to suit the rods.
if you need a pointer or two give us a shout I'm certified in most popular types of welding, ARC, MIG, TIG, GAS, all have a place in the arsenal of a welder.

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
this one here from Harbor Freight...perfect for a beginner like me

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Ah gasless MIG using flux cored wire (FCAW), I see should be ok. one question what type of mask was provided with it (if any) if you decide to practice for long periods suggest you obtain a auto darkening lens with at minimum a no8 filter, and use outdoors (they give off really bad fumes) and use in well lit areas.

· Registered
499 Posts
I second yorkie's suggestion for getting a quality mask with auto-darkening lens. No chance of a good weld unless you have a clear view of what's going on. Money well spent. My own welding skills instantly improved once I spent the money for an auto-darkening mask. This was quite a few years ago and they were really expensive at the time but I think the cost has come way down.

My own mig machine (a smallish Lincoln) has flux core capability and even included a spool of flux core wire in the box but I've never used that mode. The inert gas produces much nicer looking welds. I predict that if you get into this welding stuff (and you will), you'll soon want a much more capable (i.e. more expensive) machine. (As in: might as well start shopping for a tig machine right now, he-he.)

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
THANK YOU both for expert input

actually ended up with this one

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Thanky @K-woppa. 1st and foremost a steel exhaust bracket which I've fabbed, fits the older '95 Ducati GPR exhaust. As its in 3 pieces, welding required to complete it. Dimwit (me) lost/misplaced the original, ripped both the garage and basement shops apart searching for it.

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
exhaust bracket today. whole custom frame tomorrow. (well maybe not tomorrow literally)
Haha....I'll be quite satisfied if i can conquer simple brackets and such.

· Registered
499 Posts
Taking the plunge and buying your first welder is stepping onto a slippery slope, you know. I find welding to be especially satisfying and I'm betting you will too. If you're gonna work on motorcycles, it follows that you will want to do be able to do very fine work and also have aluminum welding capability.

Which probably means the most versatile of all welders, a tig machine. Just saying.....

· Administrator
16,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
doubtful at my advancing age, but we'll see what the future brings.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts