Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone other than me find it annoying when you are looking for used sport bikes, or bikes in general and everyone thinks there bike is like "brand new" or something. for example i have been looking at some older model sport bikes ( i like the bulky look ) and people are asking like $2500 - $3500 for a bike that has 30k plus in miles and is more than 15 years old. i mean come on people, i dont care if it is a 1000cc sport bike, if it has more than 30k miles and is like 15 years old be realistic about your price. anyone else think like i do on this one? for example i found a 1988 HONDA HURRICANE 1000 with 63k miles and the guy wont come off his $2500 asking price

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some people have paid too much and want to recoup thir costs. Some people put more value in something than anyone else would, so they can't sell it. Some people don't really want to sell.

The person who wants something, but not badly enough to pay the sellers price, feels the seller is crazy. The seller who values something more than any buyer will pay, think's noone is serious...

·
Registered
270 Posts
but an 88 should be paid off by now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My brother just bought his first bike, took him almost a month to find the one that he bought. His price range is pretty low, under $1000, so he knew that he wasn't getting much. He looked at about a dozen bikes, everything from a late 60's enfield to a very new gs 500 that was in a small accident. All in the under $1000 price range. Most people were asking way too much for their bikes, but we did eventually find an '81 kz440, the asking price was $850 (kbb said $830 so the price was close), the guy was willing to negotaiate, and we finally settled on $600. Next day we went and picked up the bike and it did the $50 mile ride home with no problem, it just hummed along at 80 mph, and took everything I threw at it.

just keep looking and eventually you will find the right bike at the right price. I know I overpaid for my bike, by $1000 (it was 5 years old and had 8k on the clock, it was an older guy, the guy had all service reciepts (from a dealership i use), excellent maintenance records, and it was immaculate, and didn't show any signs of being dropped. it also had alot of stuff already done, racetec front springs, muzzy, k&n, rejetted, braided brake lines, and a few other small things. i dunno I just felt confident with the bike and the previous owner

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I know how you feel too, when I was looking for a bike it was like that too ,the funniest one was at a dealership that had a used 2500 mile 1 yr. old bike that was only $200.00 less than new , I finally ended up buying a new bike that was 1 yr. old 0 miles cheaper than the one I just mentioned. So go figure????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Come up to where I live. A 1996 EX-500 with 28k miles sells for $3500. That's just the market around here and we were just talking about how used bikes are 30% more expensive this year than they were last year due to the increasing gas prices.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As gas prices rise through the summer so will bike prices. It's just more incentive to binrg home a brand spankin new machine to the garage....haha.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I know what you mean. People aren't always realistic about the prices they ask for stuff they sell, especially bikes. Unless you are looking at something like a 1938 Ariel Square Four, an old bike isn't worth all that much, except to the owner.

One of my old bikes is a 1979 Suzuki GS1000. I have done alot to it, including custom paint, seat, all needed mechanicals. It has 20k miles.
I don't expect to get more than $1500 to $1800, when I do sell it, and it is a bike that you could hop on and ride anywhere.

For the price of a new bike these days, why buy some old piece of junk?
The only reason I don't buy new vehicles is that I like to save money and I don't like depreciation. Plus I like to fix things up and try to learn how to do some stuff myself. It has gotten to be a hobby, plus I make some money on resale, then get something different, when it comes along.

The price of a new EX -500 is so cheap, for example, why pay $3500 for a bike that somebody has abused for 15k miles when you can buy a new one for a little more than a thousand dollars more. You can even get a loan!

·
Registered
114 Posts
any bike that runs is automatically worth at lead $1000 here, if it's saftied, $1500. 10-20 years old and under 500cc seems to be worth more than a bike over 600cc of the same vintage. Strange but all true.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts