Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well there are already plenty of threads/posts about aftermarket exhausts and what not. but my bike runs pretty crappy i have a muzzy 2-1 exhaust (guy had it done that i bought it from) wondering if someone could check out/help with my bike as some people said to do a jetkit and others said do not. i have seen a couple posters in the pitt area. also to help with a fender eliminator/dogbones, etc. basically there are a lot of things i wanna do/need done with it and would appreciate if anyone near pittsburgh knows what they're doing and are willing to help a bike noob out. it's an 04' 500

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to be honest, i haven't looked at the carbs since i got the bike, and when i say i'm a noob, i really mean it. lol. it rides lean/rich (forget which is which) it pops when i let out the throttle, and the bike runs crappy at times. i would basically need someone to look it over that knows what's what. and be able to help me adjust this and that, or totally re jet the bike. i need that done first, but i wanna do some other mods later on

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
It's probably your pilot jets. you have to remove them and clean them until you see light through them. the popping on decelleration is nothing to get worked up about. it's quite normal. it's because of the PAIR system. it would pop with stock cans on too, you just wouldn't hear it. while you have the carbs off, install a fuel filter. that will help keep the pilots clean.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. what should i do when i change my air filter then? get a stock or a kn high flow filter? fuel filter as well, can i get one online? or should i go to the stealership and see if they have them

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
for an 04, you wont need to change it any time soon. they are serviceable. just sud them up with some dish soap, rinse it off let it dry and put some motor oil on it. squeeze the excess out and you're good to go.

You can get a fuel filter from your local small engine supply store. remember the carbs dont suck fuel, it's a gravity feed system, so you need something that filters gravity feed systems. i had a briggs and statton filter disk type for the longest time and it never cut out on me. only cost me a couple bux to boot.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, these are the times i wish i knew something about cars/bikes. lol. in any event, it's supposed to snow/rain here for the next week so i will mess with this stuff next week, and if for some reason i fail miserably, i will probably still need that help from someone around pittsburgh, haha. thanks a lot for the help. all i've ever been told is how i need to get a jet kit and high flow filter, etc. etc. i've never really heard of an alternative til coming here.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
your FREE alternative is to tune your pilot jets when you get it running OK. you didn't say if the carbs have been disassembled....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knightslugger said:
your FREE alternative is to tune your pilot jets when you get it running OK. you didn't say if the carbs have been disassembled....
yea, i'm basically looking to do whatever to ensure the bike is riding properly/no adverse affects of not messing with anything in the future. as of right now, i know stuff needs adjusted/tuned, so hopefully someone around can help that has experience with bikes

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you want to bring your bike to Warren PA (about 2 hr drive or a little less) I'll tune your bike for free and show you how to work on it in the process. I just like working on bikes and I'm running out of things to do on mine :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm trying to remember where warren is......i'm actually 40 miles north of pittsburgh, but if you are willing to help i would be more than happy to make the drive. what all have you done wtih your bike/what else could you help me with?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
found where warren is. i would have no prob heading up there. hopefully by then i will have the integrated rear light/signals done. then mess with teh fender/eliminated. when are you usually free?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
not to derail the thread, but yuengling is so damn good. and they dont sell it in ohio :mad:

i can drive two hours to PA to get it, which ive done before. they just need to start selling it here.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
they make a lager. its pretty good. its supposedly an "old style" beer. i guess they have been in operation since the 1860s or something, working as a dairy during prohibition, and they havent really changed their recipe for beer, so its pretty much like a beer you would drink in the late nineteenth century.

they also make a good black and tan too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts