1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R

·
0 Posts
Re: Any one interested for a ride to the racetrack ?

Dang! You would pick the only two weekends I'm not available in May wouldn't you...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Royson said:
Dang! You would pick the only two weekends I'm not available in May wouldn't you...
Check on the web site if there's any other visit to a canadian racetrack, I'm opened to all suggestions ;D

Is that little movie in your sig from Top Gear ? big fan here ;) But it's heavy for a dialup connection..

R

·
0 Posts

Lol, I actually have no idea what it's from, but it made me laugh...

June 16th they're at Calabogie again...that could potentially work for me!! :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

June 16 works for me so far ;D

I think it is from an episode where capt slow, jeremy and the hamster went to the US .. That was their supper as the rules were to camp outside and eat only roadkill..

they also went to Alabama and that did not turn out too well..

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/

Season 09 episode #3

R

·
0 Posts

Let me check with the appropiate people (work, fiance, etc) and make sure I'm allowed, but as of right now, I'm pretty sure I'm good for June 16...I'd be pretty cool to come out and try the track in zero stress environment, being the pansy I am :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Anyone interested for a ride to the racetrack ?

Anyone else ? the more the merrier ;D

Indeed, trying the track in a no stress place under the right supervision is the only way I'm going to allow myself on a race track on 2 wheels

·
Registered
171 Posts

June 16th would be good for me too. I might chicken out of going round the track, wouldn't want to fall off the bike or anything but the trip there would be great. Are they having races that day too?

R

·
0 Posts

June 16th does in fact work for me...so if we can get something organized to go out, it would be a fun "meet the board members/track laps for newbies" session!

I'll leave it to Frog to work out the details though :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes they have races, check the other post from dad you'll see it's a once in a lifetime to go on the track, we'll be following a coach and take a slow ride.

Don't forget, we don't have any track experience (on 2 wheels at least) and we have to ride the bikes home too ;)

dad's a professionnal coach and he and his team won't let us harm ourselves or our bikes. That is if he can show up there too. if not, were only going for a weekend at the track on our bikes, still, that'll be plenty of fun I'm sure :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

On the 16th it'll be on Calabogie circuit..

Where should we meet ?

Is Calabogie very far from your place Johndoe ?

Maybe we could meet at your place, drop our camping gear and ride to Calabogie ? If it's less than 2 hours away, I'm up for the morning and night ride anytime ;D

·
Registered
171 Posts

Looks like about a 2 hour drive from my place. I'm right off the 417 at exit 27. I've got a couple tents here, and all sorts camping stuff.

·
Registered
200 Posts

I'd be up for it.. but seeing as it would take me a day just to get there... southern Pa.. but it sounds like a good excuse for an adventure

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If you got the tents, that's going to be great !

Haven't quite figured out how to get that to fit on my bike.. But should be able to make the rest fit on it :D

I'm just not too excited to go for a 4 hours long ride on a packed up bike and then leaving it unattended in the parking somewhere... So this plan is coming up very nicely, for me at least it'll be a nice 2 hours highway ride to get to your place ;D

What do you guys think ?

Anybody else want to join the group ?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Jkrup47 said:
I'd be up for it.. but seeing as it would take me a day just to get there... southern Pa.. but it sounds like a good excuse for an adventure
Sweet ! that's going to help you for the mileage competition for sure ;D

R

·
0 Posts

By looking at the map, the track isn't too far from Algonquin. Some good roads in that area too for a spirited ride!

I'm going to try to make a weekend of this, probably hit up Algonquin area roads on the way back and likely camp up there for a night too.

Hopefully all this works out!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Hey, good to see you guys working something out! 8)

And for those worried about riding on the track. If you're not worried about riding on the road to get there, you surely have nothing to worry about once there. :) The speeds will generally be held to highway speeds as a MAX, and NOBODY will be asked to go ANY faster than they're comfortable with. They take it around very slow a lap or two to let everybody get some sense of the line and then gradually pick it up a little, to a still civil speed.

Part of the idea of the try the track deal is to allow folks to get rid of the idea that the track's scary. There's MORE room with everybody going one direction and full use of BOTH lanes, NO traffic, intersections, pedestrians, gravel surprises, etc. It's really a comfortable environment and is part of the reason we offer that, for folks to get the sense of what it might be like. Now, if you were out there racing and somebody was trying to stuff it inside you, banging elbows, that might be a different story. :eek: ;D

That's also one of the differences between a well run track day and a race. Track day for the novice and intermediate groups has restricted passing, never inside, and always at some courtesy, even in the fastest group. The word of the day for all skill levels is, it's NOT a race, there is NO prize. The coaches are out there to assist but also to keep an eye out for dangerous moves or situations. Corner workers, too. A person will get black flagged and if they can't play well with others, will be booted. The neat thing is, that seldom happens. Folks seem to take it in the spirit intended and show appropriate respect for the rules and each other. Hope to see you around one of these days.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

Well golly, Dad. You almost have me talked into trying it, & these veteran bones & rusty/ undeveloped/ or nonexistant skills oughta know better.

I know there's a road track south of Council Bluffs...
hmmmmm...

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

I imagine a track club in your area might offer a similar thing. Try to check out the operator running the show. If it's a well run operation it can be a LOT of fun!

I have ridden with Sportbike Track Time, an operator out of Dayton or Toledo, who I believe gets out your way. Check for a website. I'm sure they've got one. Although it's been a few years since I rode with them I was always happy with how they ran their events. Unless something has changed, I'd feel comfortable riding with them. :)

R

·
0 Posts

So 'dad' will you happen to be this June 17 event we're thinking about hitting up?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts