Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im browsing evil-bay and came across these. they are the real deal that clip onto the fork tubes they look pretty nice, although i know id probably end up modifying them to accept a bar end.

thoughts?

item # 320098920561

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I think you'll find that true clip-ons won't clear your stock fairings or gas tank. The old 600 pieces or Woodcraft risers made for the EX are the only way I know to drop the bars on a stocker. Either one drops them about 2" at the grip as a result of initially lower riser height of about 1" but also an angle change, netting 2" at the grip. A search will find a thread talking about the 600 risers, the method I used.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, if heard of the old 600 method.

i just guess....certainly its gotta work if they sell a setup specifically for the ex. i mean, i know its ebay, but if there is no way in the world its gonna work, i dont see how theyd even be on the market.

but it very well could be that they dont work. i wish it wasnt $100 so if they didnt work it wouldnt be such a big deal.

you probably are right tho, you seem to be one of those members who knows all the little tricks and mods that will and wont work.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
A lot of EX's that are used for race only will have fairings that are modified to clear a lower bar. Most use either the Woodcraft pieces made specifically for the EX or 600 pieces I mentioned. Woodcraft also makes generic style clip-ons for 37mm tubes that clamp on under the top tree. So do a number of other manufacturers such as Vortex, but they all have the same issue. You have to chop your fairing to use them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhhhh

yeah, now that i look at the seller more closley it does appear that he's selling generic fork clamps (in our case 37mm) with a set of handles. now are you saying youd have to chop if you stuck them UNDER the tree? or over?

·
Registered
633 Posts
definatly under, but looking at a pic that wolf posted I am inclined (not 100% but pretty **** sure) to say that over also.

Wolf, please chime in on your experience

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yeah mine required trimming either way, just more for being under.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wolf how much did your clipons run and where'd you snag 'em? I wouldnt mind lowering my grips a bit and give the bike a more aggressive feel (plus im a bit tall for the bike at 6'2" before boots).

Also, as far as using the zzr600 risers, anybody know what years will match up with an 06 500 (assuming it makes a difference)?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
CerialPhreak said:
Wolf how much did your clipons run and where'd you snag 'em? I wouldnt mind lowering my grips a bit and give the bike a more aggressive feel (plus im a bit tall for the bike at 6'2" before boots).
Came on the GSXR front end i have on there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
just my 2 cents on the subject, i run the woodcrafts on mine and i love them they drop you down about 2 inches, they are well worth there weight in gold. from what it sounds like to me you aren't racing or anything so i would suggest the woodcrafts. you don't have to chop the fairing and they will clear the tank.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm, yeah, i might just go with the woodcrafts. i just like the look of the ones i found, but im not choppin up my fenders just to run them. i dont race, id just like my bars to set down a bit lower.

and wolf's did catch my attention, but it took me 2 seconds to realize that he had an aftermarket front end. our trees dont look like that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts