Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks the the KLE 500 uses the same motor as my 05 EX 500. At around 4:30 in this youtube video, the guy writes the 05-07 KLE 500 uses a double head gasket.

My 05 EX500 needs a new head gasket and I plan to lap the head and cylinders, but was wondering if anyone has used the KLE head gasket instead, and can confirm it its thicker. I know the compression ration will slightly be lower, but if it allows for a less than perfectly flat surface to seal, I think it may be the way to go.

My EX500 and the all KLE 500 up to 2004 use the head gasket with part number 11004-1159.

The 05-07 KLE 500 indeed has a different head gasket with part number 11004-0031.

Can anyone confirm the gasket it thicker? And has anyone tried this? Results?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
short answer is no. the EX gasket is re-useable. and by the way that guy in the vid is a moron (excuse my English) the bike has a 180 degree crank so it fires both cylinders in 180 degrees one after the other then has to turn 540 degrees before the next compression stage just like in the vid he stripped it for nothing they all do that because for that 540degrees there are valves open so no compression. just saying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply yorkie.

I agree about the unnecessary head removal by the youtuber. Is it known if that gasket is actually thicker?

I know this engine commonly blows its head gasket, so I was wondering if in the last years of the KLE, Kawasaki found a way to help minimize the problem.

Ive read about reusing the old gasket. Do you just need to spray it with a layer of any spray paint on both sides? Would that copper spray stuff be a better option?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I used aerosol spray enamel. no idea why the gasket is different but then there are a few differences between the two so not surprised. whether it is thicker or not no idea I have not had the KLE one in my hand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The cylinder head on the ex500 and the KLE has the exact same part number of 11008-1405, the same goes for the pistons (13001-1251) and the liners (11007-1096)

But the cylinder is 11005-0044 on the KLE vs 11005-1517 on the ex....Curious as to what the difference is. It'd be interesting to see if this multi layer head gasket and leaving off the cylinder base gasket would work with keeping the same compression ratio given the base gasket thickness is near the additional thickness of the KLE head gasket. Everything I looked at was for a 2006 on both

Yorkie - Do you know why it doesn't fit the EX?

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
the point of is? cylinder bore is only one of many dimensions any one of which can be different requiring a different P/N
The EX engine won't be fixed by a compressible gasket if it is warped . Many at the Track have tied and failed
The only fix is Lapping as I described

FOG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts