Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a great place to park a bike. I park my car and bike in a 30 car lot outside my complex. For a long time I parked in the very end of the space perpendicular to my car, which I would park in the same spot. I actually have two spots allowed to me and permission to park in seperate spots, but I figured it would be nice to have one extra space open in case someone who couldn't walk from the street needed it (lots of elderly around here).

So then last month I got home from work in my car and found that someone actually parked their car in the same spot with my bike (like I usually do - except they are not ME). This really pissed me off because there were actually about a dozen empty spots and there usually are at least a few (plus my second spot I freely give up everyday). Who the heck thinks it is acceptable to pull there car up within inches of a parked motorcycle? Plus, when there is a vehicle in a parking spot, wouldn't that indicate that it is taken?? You would think so... Anyway last week I got home from work and decided to go out for a ride and discovered that my passenger footpeg was really loose - and on the side that would face a car pulled into the same spot as the bike. I am 90% sure it got bumped enough to screw up the bolt, but not knock the bike over - no other damage. The bolt threads were a little stripped, so I had to buy a new one.

Now I decide enough is enough - idiots are damaging my bike because I am being nice. F them. So I park my bike diagonally in it's own spot now - afterall it's MY spot. The good news is that after only 4 days of doing this, someone decided to steal my bike cover at night while it was raining. (0 possibility it blew away as it is not easy at all to take off the bike, and the lot is surrounded by trees and buildings and cars). Now I am using a crappy tarp instead of a good motorcycle cover since I can't afford to replace it at the moment. Who the hell steals a cover off a bike while it is raining anyway? It's not like I am the local a-hole and all my neighbors hate me (I actually help out my elderly buddies pretty often) - but I am pretty sure it was one of them who took it - just because.

The point: people suck - and I am dreaming of having my own garage.

Anyone else have problems parking in lots outside their apartment?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good story. Ten bucks says someone is currently bidding on your bike cover on Ebay. Seriously though, they could have vandalized or even stolen your bike but they didn't (that shows the human nature of the perpetrator.) See the positive side of it, my brotha.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i hear you on the aggrivation of people parking close to your bike. i actually park mine paralell with the outside wall and have it secured with a cable lock to a pipe that comes out and makes a turn into the ground. then i park my truck normally facing the wall close to my bike. some days when ill take my truck somewhere some twit will be parked in my spot very near to my bike. im just waiting for somenoe to not pay attention and come flying into my spot and knock my bike into the wall.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I totally hear you. Last year in the heat of summer (gets well over 100 here in sac). Someone put a note on my bike that read "Dear Mr. Motorcycle Rider, Many others and myself think it is rude you take up a spot in the shade with your motorcycle. I just thought you should know."

Like WTF, is my property some how less important or valuable becauase it doesn't have a steel cage around me when I operate it, or some how the value of a vechicle go up with the number of wheels on it. Somehow people who drive SUV's who get 10mpg and have ice cold air conditioning should get a shady parking spot and I should have to burn my rear on a hot black seat that has been sitting in the sun. How Rude of me to think I was intitled to at least a little protection from the summer heat.

Car drivers just don't get it. My bike find a nice shady spot in which I park across so nobody can share it with me every day. I will say having a real garage is one of the nicest features my house offers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
yeh having a garage is definatly the plus of not living in an apartment.

A few years ago when i lived in an apartment I did the same thing I had 1 parking spot (no assigned parking, just a free for all) that I always had a vehicle in, my bike was at the front, and I would just pull my car in next to the bike, this way i took up only 1 spot. One day on a saturday I was coming home and I parked my car just like always. My neigbor came up to me and said that it wasn't fair that I left my bike at the end of the parking spot so nobody could use it when I wasn't home. She was real nasty about it and said she would report me to the complex manager (aka my father-in-law). I said to her real politely Ok next time I won't park at the front of the parking spot. She just looked at me like she was expecting a big argument and then she stormed off. I went over to my car, pulled it into another empty spot, and put my bike diagonally in the center of the parking spot.

Later that night i got a knock on my door so I answer it, and there is a nice police officer (who I know through my father-in-law the complex manager). he says that they just recieved a claim about a "rowdy" biker causing problems over parking. I explained to him thatthe lady was angry that I took up the end of the spot with my bike while I wasn't home and she didn't like it, so i won't park at the end of the spot anymore. He laughed and walked back over to the lady and said that as long as the motorcycle is a registered motor vehicle I am allowed all the same courtesies as any car.

The next day i get a knock on my door from another police officer who said that i had my motorcycle illegally parked in a parking spot. I asked why and he told me that they had gotten a report of a "rowdy" biker who has an unregistered bike and I am taking up 2 parking spots. So i pulled out my reggistration which was good for a few more monthas and showed it to him, which he checked against the vin on the bike. then he told me that I have to get a new plate because mine was gone. I was really pissed at that point. After I was done with the cop he got in his car and started writing something, and i walk down to the other end of the parking lot to grab some stuff from my car, and I pass by the ladies car, and sitting on her passenger seat is.... wait for it.... my liscense plate 9upside down, but the letters were raised so you can still see the tag number. I run back to the cop and explain what I saw and he looks at it again, compares the plate to my registration card. he asked me if i wanted to file a complaint which I did.

To make a real long story short i filed a complaint, she tired to get a restrainign order (thrown out of court), then small claims court because my using a parking spot made her walk extra which caused medical problems, I won the case, plus reimbursment of legal fees, she also tried to have me kicked out of the apartments which didn't work, although I bought my house right after and moved anyway. In total i had the police called on me 13 times, for being a "rowdy biker", haveing wild parties (one was my daughters 3rd birthday, and so on. It was a real hasle, and in the end she wound up being punched by another neigbor who she had done the same thing to but had a real nasty temper. Last i heard she lost her job and moved away.

here is a pic of how nice I was at first:

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
I live in an apartment, and i get a huge garage (detached, but s'alight...)

fits the bike and the SUV no problem.  enough space i can wheel my bike in and ou without having t move the truck AND it's locked entry.

big peace of mind.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had the same as you, Knightslugger, when I lived in Birmingham. I'm trying, and having trouble, to find the same arrangement here in Maryland near DC... I miss having that garage - it was such a great space to wrench in compared to my current situation. :(

·
Registered
633 Posts
A few years ago (1999) I lived in an apartment in NYC and I used to roll my bike through the front door, into the elevator, down the hall, and I would park it (and work on it) on a few sheets of plywood in the bed room. Of course at the time I was single, and there were 2 other bikers that shared the 1 bedroom apartment. The bedroom was the bike storage and we all just kinda set up shop as far as living arangements in the small apartment. The biggest problem that we had was that the elevator was only rated to 1000 lbs so only one bike an rider could go up or down at once, and we would make our girlfriends or other people take the stairs up 8 flights.

The building manager had no problem with it, and he did it himself with his harley, but he kept his on the balcony, and he had to put the bike in the elevator and run up 2 flights (it was a bigger harley) to get to his place to catch the elevator. Everyonce in a while he would miss the elevator and he would be running all over the building to try and catch it. It was actually pretty comical when it happened.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
A few days ago I was visiting my son in San Diego, where he shares an apartment w/ a guy, Matt, who has a Yamaha R-1. The apts only have carports. He has an alarm on his bike, plus a cut-resistant cable w/ padlock he routes through his car's rear wheel, plus a big think cable that goes around the carport pole... the ends of it looks like handcuffs.

While I was there it was almost stolen... the perp(s) knew to cut one of the alarm wires, cut the wheel-cable no prob, & sliced right through the handcuff-cable. He had a second alarm on it or they would've gotten it.

He updated his security system to a Scorpio
http://www.scorpioalarms.com/products/motorcycle/sr-i500_trs6/

It includes adjustable proximity and touch (capacitance change) alarms that are audible, or silent alrm to the key fob, or both. If someone knocks him off the bike & attempts to ride off... the engine runs for 5 seconds or so then dies. The rider carries the key fob inside the jacket. if the bike & fob distance exceeds a certain distance (weakens the signal strength) it cuts the ignition.

We'll see if it works. Some of these thieves might just learn to spy where you keep the fob, then nab it AND the bike later.

The San Diego police said that many thieves just follow "popular bikes" home, at a distance, and watch where it parks... study the security... do a walk-by later... and nab it around 3-4 in the morning.

Crooks... geez.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow Derf.... sounds like that crazy lady really had it out for you!! The lady leaving the license plate out for anyone to see is just classic. I bet you were only surprised for a second before realizing who you were dealing with.

The funny thing is I always park in the last few spots farthest from the buildings depending on what is available.... not for the thiefs benefit of course, but for my elderly neighbor buddies. But, I guess people like us aren't supposed to really understand why idiots do what they do.

Random question - are license plates state property, and if so is stealing them a felony? I am surprised that the only thing that the lady got was a complaint filed against her.

I am really glad I haven't had the cops come to my door like you did!!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
When I was in the apartment I was only supposed to have 2 spots (one for me, one for my wife). With my work truck and the bikes (KZ and EX) I had to have a minimum of three. In an effort to keep everyone happy I parked the bikes in the back row (just two rows), and stuck them up against the dumpster wall (it had a brick surround). I rarely lost my spot because if I took the bike there was usually the other one there holding the spot :p. I was lucky that the only trouble I had were those dirty lawn guys *shakes fist*. I'm still finding balls of grass stuck in cracks and crevices on the Ninja. :p

I spent quite a few late Saturday nights out on the bike since it was closer to the city, and when I'd come home at 2 AM or so I'd give it a little throttle at the entrance to the apt complex to gain some speed, and then I'd kill it and coast the rest of the way into my lot and into the spot :p. Ah, good times.

derf said:
Every once in a while he would miss the elevator and he would be running all over the building to try and catch it. It was actually pretty comical when it happened.
That is freaking hilarious! :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
derf said:
yeh having a garage is definatly the plus of not living in an apartment.

A few years ago when i lived in an apartment I did the same thing I had 1 parking spot (no assigned parking, just a free for all) that I always had a vehicle in, my bike was at the front, and I would just pull my car in next to the bike, this way i took up only 1 spot. One day on a saturday I was coming home and I parked my car just like always. My neigbor came up to me and said that it wasn't fair that I left my bike at the end of the parking spot so nobody could use it when I wasn't home. She was real nasty about it and said she would report me to the complex manager (aka my father-in-law). I said to her real politely Ok next time I won't park at the front of the parking spot. She just looked at me like she was expecting a big argument and then she stormed off. I went over to my car, pulled it into another empty spot, and put my bike diagonally in the center of the parking spot.

Later that night i got a knock on my door so I answer it, and there is a nice police officer (who I know through my father-in-law the complex manager). he says that they just recieved a claim about a "rowdy" biker causing problems over parking. I explained to him thatthe lady was angry that I took up the end of the spot with my bike while I wasn't home and she didn't like it, so i won't park at the end of the spot anymore. He laughed and walked back over to the lady and said that as long as the motorcycle is a registered motor vehicle I am allowed all the same courtesies as any car.

The next day i get a knock on my door from another police officer who said that i had my motorcycle illegally parked in a parking spot. I asked why and he told me that they had gotten a report of a "rowdy" biker who has an unregistered bike and I am taking up 2 parking spots. So i pulled out my reggistration which was good for a few more monthas and showed it to him, which he checked against the vin on the bike. then he told me that I have to get a new plate because mine was gone. I was really pissed at that point. After I was done with the cop he got in his car and started writing something, and i walk down to the other end of the parking lot to grab some stuff from my car, and I pass by the ladies car, and sitting on her passenger seat is.... wait for it.... my liscense plate 9upside down, but the letters were raised so you can still see the tag number. I run back to the cop and explain what I saw and he looks at it again, compares the plate to my registration card. he asked me if i wanted to file a complaint which I did.

To make a real long story short i filed a complaint, she tired to get a restrainign order (thrown out of court), then small claims court because my using a parking spot made her walk extra which caused medical problems, I won the case, plus reimbursment of legal fees, she also tried to have me kicked out of the apartments which didn't work, although I bought my house right after and moved anyway. In total i had the police called on me 13 times, for being a "rowdy biker", haveing wild parties (one was my daughters 3rd birthday, and so on. It was a real hasle, and in the end she wound up being punched by another neigbor who she had done the same thing to but had a real nasty temper. Last i heard she lost her job and moved away.
what a bee-atch that lady was. i seriousily don't think i would be so nice and understanding, especially after she stole my license plate, called the cops and tried getting my fined/in trouble for that. what an idiot to leave it on her seat. glad she got hers. i don't think i could ever live in an apartment complex because you will always have neighbors like this, aswell as thieves

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm not saying I was a saint either, I did cause some headaches for my neigbors, a few late night parties and i build a car on my back porch, which involved a lot of cutting welding and grinding so I was loud at times...

it just so happened that I was completely in the right and tried to be nice as far as the parking goes. the classic was when the other guy punched her, she had done the same thing to him, and he just lost it, one of those without notice just walk up and drop her punches. i talked to the cops later that night and when the call came in they originally thought it was me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
derf said:
I'm not saying I was a saint either, I did cause some headaches for my neigbors, a few late night parties and i build a car on my back porch, which involved a lot of cutting welding and grinding so I was loud at times...

it just so happened that I was completely in the right and tried to be nice as far as the parking goes. the classic was when the other guy punched her, she had done the same thing to him, and he just lost it, one of those without notice just walk up and drop her punches. i talked to the cops later that night and when the call came in they originally thought it was me.
i would probably be very tempted to punch her in the face, if not worse, not a fan of doing that to women, but if a lady did to me what she did to you, i wouldn't let her get away with it. she has everything that ever comes to her in life

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'd never punch a woman, but I'd have been too tempted to put a Denny's worth of Sweet-n-Low in her gas tank and steal her shrader valves from all 4 tires :D .

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Sweet N Low? I know sugar isn't dissolved by gasoline. Is Sweet N Low?

I don't have any or I'd try an experiement w/ some gas from the mower jug.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Sweet N Low? I know sugar isn't dissolved by gasoline. Is Sweet N Low?

I don't have any or I'd try an experiement w/ some gas from the mower jug.
Myth busters did a show on stuff in gas - car engines, sugar was busted but apparently bleach is a engine killer

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
derf said:
Sorry to tell you this derf but I think you've got a gremlin in your ride :D

Very cute :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
all the buildings at my apt complex have about 4 parking spots for every apartment, but its first come first serve. luckily the lot is always half empty and all my neighbors are cool, no one parks closer than 3 spots from my bike. very nice neighbor hood, compared to rest of city, but i do pay higher than normal rent. definately worth it tho IMO

super seven....omfg derf u are my hero, u putting the cosworth beast in that thing? 0-60 in 3 secs baby ;) although british racing green wouldnt be my first choice...why not kawi green? lol j/k

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
in my complex, the nearest thing to someone expressing displeasure with where I park was the "property manag- err excuse me, immigrant slumlord ____ hole guy. he told me to move it once, and because of his disrespectful tone, he simply had to wait till I changed my headlight bulb and cleaned the chain.

if someone took my plate, called the cops on me, and gave me that kind of crap, I'd completely lose it, set their car on fire and call the police saying they were holding some kind of satanic mass or something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts