Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new Arai helmet for only 3 days and the visor release mechanism is broken. :mad: I've done some googling and this seems to be a surprisingly common issue. Anyone here have any problems with their Arai helmet?

My warranty issues seem to be made worse by they fact I bought the helmet off of Ebay from a non authorized Arai retailer in the US but live in Canada. Arai does not have an office in Canada, they outsource distribution(wholesale) and warranty work to Full Bore Marketing, who won't touch my helmet since I did not buy it in Canada (meaning they did not wholesale it to a dealership here).

·
Registered
814 Posts
There was a similar post on the Honda CB forum, only the guy had an issue with his Shoei helmet. He wrote to them and they said that you're not supposed to tamper with the visor (this guy apparently unscrewed a part of the mechanism because he was having issues with it).
Anyway, according to his feedback the company said that these visors are set/molded upon assembly and, once you remove the visor it can "unmold" itself.
Now, this may not be your problem but who knows if you bought it from eBay.

That said, if you have a Cycle Gear or a quality dealership near you I'd suggest to bring it to them and see if they can't help you. I know Cycle Gear sells more helmets than anyone and they often have a good grasp on easy fixes to helmets.

If not, email the company.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i had a contact with Arai, let me see if I can get my hands on it. Contact: Rob or Cathy 610-366-7220
Let us know how you make out. I used to get grief from an employer for wearing noisy Air-eeez. They fit my head at the time and I had alot of them, tested em too. I wear a Shoei now and would not go back to Arai, but its what ever fits your mellon yah know, my maid ***** is the shield system on the Arai, it is typical Japanese think of not being to own up to a mistake and just re-engineer your chit to a better design, Heaven forbid you'll lose face though! Shoei is a snap to change shields, not that I do other than just clean my clear one. Anyway, not here to do a brain bucket comparison, I got all my old lids on the mantle and I gota say, Arai does a better job on paint and finish than Shoei did, at least the old ones I have. PeaCe

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I've had my Arai for 3 years without issue and have loved it the whole time. The only piece which has broken off was one of the little vents on the windscreen itself which can open and close, though that's not due to a design flaw or bad manufacturing. I routinely put my helmet in the back of a van with a bunch of other people's stuff and it gets knocked around a lot, plus I ride often an everywhere, my gear leads a hard life.

Far as fixing the problem, I'd say to just buy a replacement visor release. It sucks that the one on your brand new helmet already broke, but if the ebay site you got it from won't help you, you're **** out of luck. Best to move on to the next step of buying the replacement part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts