Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i was getting the quote for an ex500 under my dads name the price was around $140ish. i got my bike 2 days ago and tried to insure it under same company(progressive) but when i did that it they were asking more than $400 for the same coverage i got the quote for. does progressive rely on the size of the bike (cc's) or is it because i am doing all of this online. im sure i can get a lower rate somwhere else though, but my dad and me both have clean records. i dont understand.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Prices for your dad and you will be LOTS different. Middle age men are a safer risk for insurance companies, because statistically they don't crash as much. That sucks for you if you're an especially responsible and careful younger man, but that's just how it is. When you have several safe years under your belt and hit 25 yrs old (assuming you're not yet), prices will drop.

Minimum coverage for me (39 yrs old, never had a bike but have a spotless auto record) was like $70/yr - but I'm also in a rural area.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Mine was a little high also , I ended up getting insurance through my mothers policy and saving ALOT of money , even at 38 yrs. old. So you may want to talk with your Dad.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Yes, the age is the big deal. If you had a zx9 you would be paying in the thousands!

I am over 50 and I pay $75 with Progressive, full coverage FULL TORT comprehensive, uninsured motorist and roadside protection plan.

See, there is SOME advantage to geezerhood....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the quotes are for my dads policy and they are increasing it so much because what the lady said on the phone is "its a sports bike, doesnt matter the size" which i dont understand. do you know which insurance companies determine coverage from size of the engine rather than the name of the bike(ninja 500R, sounds sporty right). i got a clean record, took the safety course, i've never even litered, and having a smaller engine should be taken into account by someone, right. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
bummer man. i pay 120 a year w/ progressive (liability only tho).

the year of the bike has alot to do with it. my buddy just picked up an 07 500, and he is paying over 500 a year (same coverage) with progressive. weird..

·
Registered
146 Posts
$500 a year for liability only? I can't believe the year of the bike would have that much bearing on liability.

I only pay $83 a year for the liability coverage on all of my bikes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Try Dairyland insurance, I don't use them but I know a few people who do. Lowest prices on insurance I have heard.

I hate to say it but getting older does have a few advantages :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
I pay $125 a year on my bike for full coverage, but I get a multi car discount of $150 a year (USAA), so basically the bike saves me $25 a year. This is down from my first bike almost 10 years ago, an '80 cb750, and I was quoted almost $800 for it for liability.

My brother on the other hand pays $460 a year for basic on his '81 kz440, big difference in price, the big differenc is I'm 10 years older, married been ridsing for 10 years and own a house.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
mhess19 said:
Try Dairyland insurance, I don't use them but I know a few people who do. Lowest prices on insurance I have heard.

I hate to say it but getting older does have a few advantages :D
be careful if you go dairyland. If you upgrade to a supersport, you'll get raped. i was lucky enough to get my bike insured before the policy changes went into effect.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Yes, State Farm is cheap, they are usually pretty good.
Also, Great American is decent, Erie has good rates.
It doesn't hurt to talk to an agent, in person, however.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Stay away from American Family, they rate the Ninja 500R as a "super sport".

American Family quoted me $1,422 a year for full coverage.
State Farm quoted me $168 a year for full coverage.

Apparently American Family doesn't know the difference between a Hayabusa and an EX-500.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys im gonna call around for quotes, dont really trust this online quote thing. there has to be someone with a more reasonable price under my dads name. its kinda wierd how all of us got same bike, same coverage, but completely different prices. they should be more practical, like: $.25 per cc, $50 per ticket/violation, (-)$10 per year of experience, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here is a hint. Don't ever say the name Ninja over the phone when talking insurance on this bike. Go with Kawasaki EX500. Your rates will be lower.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have insurance with progressive on mine. For $47 a month full coverage. I gave my VIN #, it's a more accurate identification. I think porgressive does use engine size as its main factor.

·
Registered
347 Posts
bhd1223 said:
Here is a hint. Don't ever say the name Ninja over the phone when talking insurance on this bike. Go with Kawasaki EX500. Your rates will be lower.
Agreed! In my experience for insurance shopping this has helped. I say, "It's a 2007 EX-500." The response is something like, "Lets see... EX-500D7, is that what you have?" At no point is it necessary to call it a Ninja.

I'm not sure what the "D" is, but I believe the 7 is for the 2007 model. A 2006 would be EX-500D6. It might be the designation for the non-California model, or might be for Gen 2 bikes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Gen 1 models are Ax; A1 is 87 or 88 model whicheve rthey count as first
Gen 2 models are Dx; D1 is 94, D6 is the 1999 model for which I have EX-500D6 on my insurance policy.

Which is bad if you got written a policy for a D7 since you are riding a more expensive model.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this what happened when i tried that:
her: "what is the bike"
me: "its an '06 ex500"
her: "i am guessing the kawasaki is yours"
me: "ya"
her: "thought so being a sports bike and all"

in my head i was thinking aw crap.

the quote ended up being $1200 for basic liability and comprehensive. progressive still seems to be cheaper, ima try state farm tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts