Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone's looking for a destination weekend playground, I strongly encourage a look at "The Windy 9" in Athens, Ohio. It's essentially nine well known motorcycle roads that radiate outward from Athens, a quaint college town with biker friendly hotels and great food. Road #9 is the infamous Triple-Nickel itself (Route 555). These roads are Ohio's best kept secret. I've done the Tail of the Dragon and, sorry, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 555. I'm glad to have checked it off my list, but I've been back to the 555 close to twenty times but won't be back to the Dragon any time soon...318 identical 3rd gear turns in 11 miles versus every kind of curve imaginable, too many to memorize, in 82 miles.

https://www.windy9.com/

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
In defense of The Dragon

It is not so much the road it's self that makes The Dragon one of the top MC destinations. It is the atmosphere of not only The Dragon, but the entire area as a whole.

But if you don't "get" that, then that is fine. :wink2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is not so much the road it's self that makes The Dragon one of the top MC destinations. It is the atmosphere of not only The Dragon, but the entire area as a whole.

But if you don't "get" that, then that is fine. :wink2:
Which aspect of the atmosphere are you referring to, the 35mph speed limit? The strong police presence? Killboy charging $75 for photos of me on my MeanStreak in those same corners? The thrilling nightlife in nearby Maryville? The whole road being rideable up and back down again in under an hour? The horrific traffic on the Tail if you arrive unaware that it's the weekend of the annual Honda S2000 meet?

Tennessee is beautiful, and the Tail is worth checking off your bucket list. But it's one short road, heavily visited, monitored and commercialized. For now anyway, the Windy 9 area, located in the Appalacian region of SE Ohio and very similar in topography to West Virginia or the area of the Tail, is a low traffic, high-speed biker Mecca worth planning a whole week to properly experience. If you'd prefer to go somewhere crowded because you like being around people, well...you got me there...

>:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
If anyone's looking for a destination weekend playground, I strongly encourage a look at "The Windy 9" in Athens, Ohio. It's essentially nine well known motorcycle roads that radiate outward from Athens, a quaint college town with biker friendly hotels and great food. Road #9 is the infamous Triple-Nickel itself (Route 555). These roads are Ohio's best kept secret. I've done the Tail of the Dragon and, sorry, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 555. I'm glad to have checked it off my list, but I've been back to the 555 close to twenty times but won't be back to the Dragon any time soon...318 identical 3rd gear turns in 11 miles versus every kind of curve imaginable, too many to memorize, in 82 miles.

https://www.windy9.com/
Ohio is doing their very best to not keep these secret. They advertise in ever issue of RoadRunner magazine (my new favorite moto rag). I even sent off for (and received) their travel map of all the roads in that area. On my bucket list of places to ride.

BTW @z00t3ch.... whereabouts in the Midwest are you located?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohio is doing their very best to not keep these secret. They advertise in ever issue of RoadRunner magazine (my new favorite moto rag). I even sent off for (and received) their travel map of all the roads in that area. On my bucket list of places to ride.
From what I've seen, the ads aren't working, which is good really...popularity is a two-edged sword.

BTW, not only can you download maps, you can also download files to install in your GPS of all nine routes.

BTW, z00t3ch.... whereabouts in the Midwest are you located?
Crappy NW Ohio, what I lovingly refer to as "Indiana's Leftovers"...

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Killboy charging $75 for photos
They only charged me $6, they must have seen my Georgia plates :grin2: . No police presence when I was there. Probably just got lucky on that one though. :wink2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They only charged me $6
$6?!?!? WTF??? What year did you go? I wanna say my trip was 2006 or 2007... picture packs were on their website, the $75 I spent wasn't even their most expensive, just the a la carte pics I really wanted.

I can't speak for any other roads in the area, I know plenty of folks who have said the Tail wasn't their favorite, that title belongs to the Cherohala Skyway. Dad and I were on a time crunch, the Tail was all we could do, but I'd like to check out the Skyway some time soon.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I was just there this past Labor Day weekend. Just so we're on the same page, that was $6 per pic. There was probably a dozen more of me that I passed on. There were 2 vendors taking pictures and I figured I would get the best picture from both of them. The bottom one was from Killboy. Didn't think his pics were as good, but for an extra buck he had the logo option. With the other vendor 129 Photos (or something like that), had the pic with my best lean (at least caught on film so to speak) along with a cool shot of a stretch of road. But also had a pic of me with my Joe Cool shades, so you can see my dilemma, had to just get them both. :grin2:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was just there this past Labor Day weekend. Just so we're on the same page, that was $6 per pic. There was probably a dozen more of me that I passed on. There were 2 vendors taking pictures and I figured I would get the best picture from both of them. The bottom one was from Killboy. Didn't think his pics were as good, but for an extra buck he had the logo option. With the other vendor 129 Photos (or something like that), had the pic with my best lean (at least caught on film so to speak) along with a cool shot of a stretch of road. But also had a pic of me with my Joe Cool shades, so you can see my dilemma, had to just get them both. :grin2:
Killboy's picture has photographic evidence of you breaking the law (in IL at least). :grin2:

I've done that plenty of times myself, and usually get reminded not to when I get a fly in they eyeball....

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Killboy's picture has photographic evidence of you breaking the law (in IL at least). :grin2:

I've done that plenty of times myself, and usually get reminded not to when I get a fly in they eyeball....
I actually got pulled over in Phoenix on my XT for doing just that. This cop told me to put my visor down, so I'm like WTF there isn't even a helmet law here. He says I know, but eye protection is required. :surprise:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts