Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my journey will begine around 6:00 tomorrow from fayetteville NC ending at walter reed hospital on the north side of Washington. After my appt. ill retrace my steps home. it should be right around 700 miles. i just hope i get out of D.C. before rush hour. it should be a high in the mid 60's in D.C. and mid 70's in NC so it whould be a good ride. im gonna ride with a camelback to stay hydrated on the ride. im guessing about 4-5 gas stops along the way. wish me luck as this will be my longest ride ever.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
That's a good bit of riding.
Don't eat any sugary goo. Protein & veggies works good for staving off hunger but keeping the blood fuel in order. Take a quick walk every stop too & get the blood flowing to the pressure points again.

Taking any pictures?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not enered in the mileage contest but i think i should now. i didnt think it would be very photogenic since its 95 the whole way up there but we'll see.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Get off the bike every 100 miles minimum or as you feel the need. They don't have to be long stops, just a minute or so makes a big difference. Every two hundred (I think these go that far on a tank, cruising) make a gas stop and go to the men's room, wash down your face, hands, and arms, and get a drink. It makes a world of difference on how you feel especially as the ride grinds on. Your first few stops you may not feel the need but once you get stiff and feeling crappy, it's too late. You won't be OK until you've had a full rest off the bike.

Don't sit in one position too long. Droning the highway invites it. Constantly move about on the seat changing the loads on body parts. It doesn't have to be dramatic. Load your legs and unload your arms, shift a little to one side then the other. Back a little, forward a little. Hook your heels on the pegs for a bit then back up to the balls of your feet. Don't wait until you're already stiff but make a conscious effort to move a bit right from the start and throughout the ride. It works.

I almost don't want to think about why you might be going to that destination. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like a fun dry run for what i'll be attempting in may. i'm gonna try and go to LA from austin in two days. the short way is ~1400 miles and the long way is ~1510 miles. don't know where to stop yet. torn between albuquerque and flagstaff. any ideas? i apologize for the thread jacking and will start my own when i get more details ironed out.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yeah I hope you don't get caught in Washington on the Interstate Parkway at rush hour . Other than that it'll be a fairly nice ride . Fayetteville must be near Greensboro (within 50 mils ). Would that be a good guess ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Move around on the seat all the time. If you wait until your butt starts hurting, its already too late - it will continue to hurt, no matter what you do. Keep changing your position as often as you think of it. I got that tip from a buddy of mine that did 10,800+ miles in 13 days on a relatively stock Bandit 1200S.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Good luck and enjoy your ride :)

The Camelback is defenately a good call, been using it all summer last season and it makes a good difference.

·
Registered
308 Posts
oh, and from what ive read, biker shorts and baby powder are your friend. i havent made any long trips yet, but when i do...i hear their life (butt) savers from chaffing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it started out cold enough to see my breath. i stopped between 40-60 miles on the way up and 60-80 miles on the way back since it was warmer. it ended up being 760 miles. how would i go about getting the iron butt award. i know i need 1000 miles but thats not much farther.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts