Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought and installed a aux power supply on the 500 last night, complete waterproof version. I have pics and can do a write up on it. I know that there is a write up on here and thanks for the info

12v waterproof powersupply
inline fuse
external power switch

I have it wired to a switch so that there isn't permanent power going to the socket. Figured that is a good idea to not have continuous power just incase of a short and then drain the battery

Mainly this is going to supply power for my cell phone or my GPS unit I am getting for my b-day

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Jkrup47 said:
Bought and installed a aux power supply on the 500 last night, complete waterproof version. I have pics and can do a write up on it. I know that there is a write up on here and thanks for the info

12v waterproof powersupply
inline fuse
external power switch

I have it wired to a switch so that there isn't permanent power going to the socket. Figured that is a good idea to not have continuous power just incase of a short and then drain the battery

Mainly this is going to supply power for my cell phone or my GPS unit I am getting for my b-day
Pictures?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i got pics.. i will post them up when i get home in a couple days.. i am currently visiting Boston

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i started with the switch and outlet

After general tear down I had a starting point

Front fairing off, gauges lose. All I was left with is the corning trim pieces. My intial thought was going to be drill a hole in the plastic surround covering the gauges. Doesn't work metal mounting tab for gauges under there :mad: now where to go. I thought about those trim pieces however they also have a simple mounting tab under them. After trying several other locations I came back to the trim pieces and decided to cut off the tab and mount the outlet to the fairing stay bracket. after several mock ups I got the exact location settled upon :)
Trimed bracket on back of outlet and fitted with small u clamp. Insulated it with electiral tar like stuff and left over heater hose (rigging but it works)
Located switch just above on gauge trim. Wired it up so that the switch controls the power to the outlet. only when switch is on.

All other wiring was straight forward. Postive terminal battery--inline fuse, then to switch and grounded

Pics aren't the best but here they are

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to the root of evil in this world Walmart

Outlet 6.00
Switch 2.50
inline fuse 1.50

misc already had at home 3.00

SO grand total 12.00 and about 2 hours or so give or take

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my bike I epoxied the 12V outlet to the left handlebar riser so it would be close to my GPS mount. I wired the outlet through the junction box (there's an existing accessory fuse there).

·
Registered
306 Posts
subscribing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts