Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Bad Regulator/Rectifier Module and other stuff

793 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  heinzrx 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I tried to start my EX500 yesterday and all I got was some rapid clicking. I wire-brushed the battery leads and charged the battery overnight and still get the same thing. Checked all my fuses which looked fine. The next easiest thing to get at was the regulator/rectifier module. I pulled that and measured resistance between various pins as directed in my Haynes shop manual and it looks like the module might be bad.

Is this a likely suspect? Have any others out there ever had to replace the regulator/rectifier module? And were the symptoms (rapid clicking - no starter turnover) the same?

Also, looking through some previous posts in the "Troubleshooting" section I see mention of the solenoid. My Haynes manual has absolutely no mention of a starter solenoid but it does mention the starter relay which I haven't seen discussed in any other postings.

Does the EX500 have a starter solenoid? Does it have a starter relay? Could they be one and the same thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Heinz

See less See more
#3 ·
FOG said:
Charge/replace the battery.
Well, I charged it up overnight already. I suppose it could've gone bad or maybe the water is low. When I get home from work I'll connect the battery from one of the other bikes and see what happens.

I'm still bothered by the fact that the DMM measurements of the rectifier/regulator pins don't jibe with what my manual says.

Heinz

#5 ·
heinzrx said:
FOG said:
Charge/replace the battery.
Well, I charged it up overnight already. I suppose it could've gone bad or maybe the water is low. When I get home from work I'll connect the battery from one of the other bikes and see what happens.

I'm still bothered by the fact that the DMM measurements of the rectifier/regulator pins don't jibe with what my manual says.

Heinz
what was the variance?

#6 ·
Knightslugger said:
what was the variance?
For example between two of the pins the Haynes manual indicated 200 - 600 ohms and I was reading approximately 32.5 MegOhms.

And I'm still confused when people are talking the solenoid, since my manual does not even contain the word "solenoid" anywhere in it. That's why I'm wondering if the solenoid is considered one and the same as the "starter relay" which nobody seems to mention in any starter-related posts.

Heinz

#8 ·
Battery it is....

Borrowed the battery from the SV and she started right up.

I took the old ninja battery out and charged again overnight but still no go.

I still can't explain why my rectifier/regulator resistance readings didn't seem to match what was shown in my manual but at this point I don't really care.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Heinz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.