Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

Registered
Thanks for clarifying that, my earlier deduction matches yours. While you are on, I stumbled across a thread @fog. About flywheel replacement available on different models . Are we talking the stator rotor?

Registered
yes. commonly referred to as the flywheel, however I have pointed out in the passed the list is inconsistent with all models.
for example the ER500 (same engine) uses a RO5 (wider) rotor same as the KLE500, not the RO3 rotor like the EX500 and some flywheel/rotors on the list are gen 1 (exposed magnets) only and not suitable for the gen 2 motor.
although I do concede the list was compiled for gen 1's many years ago to solve the exploding magnet syndrome and it's unlikely anyone would need a new one for a gen 2 (except if crash damaged)

Moderating: Fair & Just
Just to clarify.
There is a headlight relay in the junction box of the North American modals.

Registered
Just to clarify.
of course there is that wasn't in doubt. the point was not all EX's do, it's just sometimes forgotten that the forum a North American site but has members worldwide so differences have to be accounted for.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
yeah quite simple there is no headlight relay in the junction box (only the starter relay) and no wire from the alternator is fitted. the light switch is duel fed from both a permanent live feed (for the side lights) and an ignition feed (for the headlight), side light can be on when ignition is off (depending on switch position) headlight on when ignition is on whether the engine is running or not. (depending on switch position) because it is not a legal requirement to have the headlight on while riding,
you will find if you look there is not just one diagram for the EX but about 6 covering different regions and generations.

from the conversation above I deducted the OP's bike has a faulty headlight relay that is fused on possibly could have happened at the same time his solenoid fused shut by wrongly connected wires, as long as his headlight works when the engine is running and is off when the ignition is off I can't see any immediate issues, it isn't like he is likely to leave the bike with the ignition on and engine stood. long enough to drain the battery. we manage quite well with that system.
I am smart enough to take the key out and if the headlight is working normally I do not intend to fix the faulty relay

Just to clarify.
of course there is that wasn't in doubt. the point was not all EX's do, it's just sometimes forgotten that the forum a North American site but has members worldwide so differences have to be accounted for.
My post was directed to @Skingolo . (no quotes or mentions to @yorkie )
of course there is that wasn't in doubt.
Could have very well have placed doubt for @Skingolo (Hence my reason to clarify)
members worldwide so differences have to be accounted for.
Differences don't need to be accounted for in this thread.

I'm just trying to keep @Skingolo focused.

@Skingolo
If I'm understanding this correctly. Your headlight is coming on just by turning the key on. I understand you don't see this as an issue with this as long as you can have a headlight on while the bike is running, and have the ability to turn it off when the bike is not running. But since this is not the way the electrics are supposed to function, something is still wrong. Possibly that would lead to other electrical issues. You did have another electrical issue a couple of weeks ago, that was supposedly resolved (may have just been a bandaid fix). Possibly figuring out why the headlight isn't working properly may help in preventing other electrical issues down the line.

But, your bike, your call.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
@Skingolo
If I'm understanding this correctly. Your headlight is coming on just by turning the key on. I understand you don't see this as an issue with this as long as you can have a headlight on while the bike is running, and have the ability to turn it off when the bike is not running. But since this is not the way the electrics are supposed to function, something is still wrong. Possibly that would lead to other electrical issues. You did have another electrical issue a couple of weeks ago, that was supposedly resolved (may have just been a bandaid fix). Possibly figuring out why the headlight isn't working properly may help in preventing other electrical issues down the line.

But, your bike, your call.
I do appreciate all the help and that relay is definitely something I will keep an eye on

Registered
Thanks for clarifying that, my earlier deduction matches yours. While you are on, I stumbled across a thread @fog. About flywheel replacement available on different models . Are we talking the
yes. commonly referred to as the flywheel, however I have pointed out in the passed the list is inconsistent with all models.
for example the ER500 (same engine) uses a RO5 (wider) rotor same as the KLE500, not the RO3 rotor like the EX500 and some flywheel/rotors on the list are gen 1 (exposed magnets) only and not suitable for the gen 2 motor.
although I do concede the list was compiled for gen 1's many years ago to solve the exploding magnet syndrome and it's unlikely anyone would need a new one for a gen 2 (except if crash damaged)
Thanks, the Vstrom has this problem as well, exploding magnets. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts