19,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just that

Oh yeah and the giant pictures in the sig line that take 1/2 page

FOG

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agreed! I'm on a crap dialup account here and those things take up alot of bandwidth. You could turn off play animations in internet options too.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
you can also go to your profile under 'Look and Layout Preferences' and check the box that says 'Don't show users' avatars'. additionally, you can also check the box directly under that that says 'Don't show users' signatures'. this will produce a forum that is devoid of all user's avatar and signature pictures (such as mine) so your dial-up connection is responsive.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Knightslugger said:
you can also go to your profile under 'Look and Layout Preferences' and check the box that says 'Don't show users' avatars'. additionally, you can also check the box directly under that that says 'Don't show users' signatures'. this will produce a forum that is devoid of all user's avatar and signature pictures (such as mine) so your dial-up connection is responsive.
indeed, i do that on some forums, but haven't done it here, haven't been too bothered.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good that worked, all them blinkety blink thingys were driveing me crazy

FOG

·
Registered
530 Posts
meh.. they're usually the last ones to show up.. I just read the thread, and move on before they load. On some boards that it's truly out of hand, I turn them off in my profile, but that's not usually necessary. Although most boards do have a sig picture size restriction of about 150 pixels by 500.

I think it'd be nice if the text limit were higher though. :p

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
For a while, I had a Monty Python school of funny walks animated avatar.
Thought it was funny... until I tried to read some things while it was running.
YUK! Got rid of it. (Might have been on another forum... cars)

Never thought about the bandwidth problem for folks on dial-up.
Thanks for sharing that perspective.

Concerning text size...
On FireFox just click: View Text Size Increase Ctrl ++

·
Registered
530 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Concerning text size...
On FireFox just click: View Text Size Increase Ctrl ++
Didn't mean text size.. there's a limit to how many characters you can have in your signature, don't remember what it is, but text doesn't take any real time to d/l. As long as it didn't get carried away, it'd be nice to be able to have more text available.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Nice!
Thanks for the tip Slugger.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
2dogs said:
Knightslugger said:
Nice!
Thanks for the tip Slugger.
no problem. I've been around the block a few times so i know my way around SMF pretty well. just administrating is uncharted territory.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Lacessit said:
I think it'd be nice if the text limit were higher though. :p
+1 for sure. I had to work on mine for an hour one night to fit everything in my table setup. Looking back, I waste a lot of time :p .

MrSciTrek said:
Never thought about the bandwidth problem for folks on dial-up.
Thanks for sharing that perspective.
I used to get really aggravated, then I finally moved and got broadband. Now I don't think about it and don't care much ;). No offense, johndoe.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
you gotta remove the extra data from pictures before you upload them. many jpeg pictures are assigned extra meta data the moment it hits the computer such as thumbnail sizes of varying degree, camera information, lighting conditions, a full size original if the saved jpeg had been altered... it adds up. strip it before you load it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Knightslugger said:
you gotta remove the extra data from pictures before you upload them. many jpeg pictures are assigned extra meta data the moment it hits the computer such as thumbnail sizes of varying degree, camera information, lighting conditions, a full size original if the saved jpeg had been altered... it adds up. strip it before you load it.
If that's for me, for the record I'm just talking about the text part. I've got no problem handling the pics with gimp, but the link itself gets long. If there's some way to cut the link it's beyond me. To save other users from downloading a big picture every time I used a thumbnail and linked it to a full size picture off the forum. Once you put two different links in there you're pretty much done. I can't even add my new bike to the sig (in just text form, let alone a picture) because I'm completely out of space.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Knightslugger said:
How do you get rid of that data?
Where is it & how do you see it to delete it?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Knightslugger said:
How do you get rid of that data?
Where is it & how do you see it to delete it?
Find a free jpeg cleaner program online. there are tons. the data itself is laced in the code for the picture itself. you can't just open it and delete it, you gotta know where to look, what it looks like, and verify it's contents.

NICK: PM The administrator as see if he'll bump it. your alternative is to create a .jpg with an alpha channel with all your information you want and link it off site. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Find a free jpeg cleaner program online. there are tons. the data itself is laced in the code for the picture itself. you can't just open it and delete it, you gotta know where to look, what it looks like, and verify it's contents.

NICK: PM The administrator as see if he'll bump it. your alternative is to create a .jpg with an alpha channel with all your information you want and link it off site. just a thought.
I think it's come up before, and as - 1) it's not that big of a deal and 2) I don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth (free, awesome forum) - I didn't want to impose with demands and the like. Your alternative idea is probably much better anyway, I need the practice and it'd look a lot cleaner all said and done. FOG won't ever get to see it, though :p.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your right, I have already chose to delet all avitars and SIg line junk. All that stuff does is annoy me.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:
Your right, I have already chose to delet all avitars and SIg line junk. All that stuff does is annoy me.

FOG
Us young(er) ones need shiny things to distract us so we don't get too out of control :p.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts