Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some bar end mirrors ( "BAR END MIRRORS FOR ALL KAWASAKI, HONDA , SUZUKI, YAMAHA MOTORCYCLES WITH 7/8 BARS OR CLIP ONS WITH HOLLOW BAR ENDS ,AND MOST OTHER BIKES WITH 7/8 INCH BARS AND HOLLOW BAR ENDS" ) on eBay and when I went to put them on... here's what I encountered: I unscrewed the bar ends from the handle bars, now it seems that the piece the bar end screws into would come out, so I grabbed my vice grips and tried to coax the piece out, but it wouldn't budge, are they just really stuck or do they just not come out? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
im not quite sure what u meaan but i boought bar ends off wbay about a month ago, they should just uncrew(tock bar end are on very tight) and there should be a threaded whole to screw the new one into.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I, too, have difficulty understanding your problem. Maybe you have a typo somewhere.

I recently have to remove the bar-end (on my 2001 EX500) to replace the stock handlebar grips. The Phillips screw was loc-tighted to the handlebar so tight that I stripped the head. I ended up drilling the screw head off and use vise-grip to remove the shaft. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I'll try to take some pictures, but until then I'll try to describe a little better. I took off the bar ends already, the bolts were very tight and I did actually mess up one of the bolt heads getting them out... Now the part the bar end screws into on the handle bar is what I'm trying to figure out. If I peel back the grip there is a lip where it looks like the end could come out of the actual handle bar itself. I'm curious if this is so or just the way the handle bar is designed... hope that's better.

·
Registered
253 Posts
go to the post about levers and mirrors.(in mod section) anyways i have barend mirrors from a ebay company. i had to modify them to work. most barend mirrors attach to bar ends that are hollow. well guess what ?ours have a threaded insert that holds the barend in place. this insert looks like its welded in too. anyways to get mine to work i sawsalled off the section that goes into the so called hollow tube of our clip-on bar. i redrilled hole to accept the long screw that holds on the barend. instead of reattaching the barend i put the mirror in its place. the mirrors work great and my field of vision is 10 times what it was. allright go to it!!! :p

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Mav... did you happen to take any pictures?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know what? That's exactly what I was thinking about doing if the "inserts" didn't come out. Those mirrors actually look like the same ones I purchased too. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to go Oberon, but I didn't want to pony up the dough... I think these look good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts