Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am brand new to this forum and just bought a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500r. I am so frustrated with it at the moment. When I took it out to ride last night it basically wouldn’t start. The starter would just buzz every time I would try to start it. I looked online and it looked like a dead battery so I went and got a new one. When I was connecting it, I forgot that I had the kill switch on and the right terminal sparked a bit before I connected it. As of now, none of my lights will turn on. I’m so stuck on what to do. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does it sound like I might have blown a fuse man? I’m not too experienced with working on motorcycles, this is my first time doing maintenance on a bike. I saw online that the fuse box sometimes has an extra fuse in it? Could I use that one to fix it if one of them is burned out?

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,610 Posts
Could I use that one to fix it if one of them is burned out?
You can, assuming that one is not blown. It shouldn't be blown, but stranger things have happened. All the fuses in the fuse box are 10 amp.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hi just re-read your first post. something is not right.
I forgot that I had the kill switch on and the right terminal sparked a bit before I connected it.
the kill switch has nothing to do with it. it has no bearing on the terminal sparking (no power goes through it providing the ignition switch is off) the ignition switch was turned off right.
if not then you could have blown the main 30amp fuse (it's on top of the solenoid) or got a short somewhere or you tried connecting the battery leads the wrong way round.
anything is possible if you know very little about bikes. but check the main fuse first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi just re-read your first post. something is not right.

the kill switch has nothing to do with it. it has no bearing on the terminal sparking (no power goes through it providing the ignition switch is off) the ignition switch was turned off right.
if not then you could have blown the main 30amp fuse (it's on top of the solenoid) or got a short somewhere or you tried connecting the battery leads the wrong way round.
anything is possible if you know very little about bikes. but check the main fuse first.
Yeah dude I just checked the 30 fuse on the side of the bike, and replaced it and still nothing. I can post pictures in a bit if I can figure out how to on the forum.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
is the battery on the right way round. there is no indication on the terminals (of yours) which is which depending on make of battery the terminals could be reversed the red capped wire goes to the + side.

edit. I say this because the gel battery on my gen 1 has the positive + terminal on the right side.
but the Mopar Lion battery on the gen 2 is on the left side I had to switch leads so it suited the battery as the fused box covers the back part of the battery. and you cannot fit them on the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts