Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, don't ask how, but I managed to lose the bolt that secures the connector to the battery's negative post (actually I lost both the positive and negative). I bought a couple from a hardware store, but only the one for the positive post was a good fit. Now, it is possible I have stripped the negative post and am causing the bolt to slip out, but it really seems like the negative post requires a different size than the positive. This is the stock battery that came in my 06 EX. Any idea what size bolt I should be using? I couldn't find it in any diagrams anywhere. (In addition to not being very mechanically inclined)

I tried riding up and back the street while the battery was hooked up with the lose bolt on the negative and when I hit 5000 rpm in gear, the engine would basically die, but in neutral it can go up past 5000 ok. I hadn't ridden in a few days prior to this - so do you think the lose of power past 5000 has to do with the battery problem - or something else? (hopefully not something else!).

The weather here in Mass is getting pretty damn great, so I'd like to get this figured out as soon as I can!!

Thanks!!

Chris

-2006 EX500

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not sure what size bolt (10mm head) but both are he same size . the cutting out part sounds to be a fuel problem . maybe a pinched or clogged hose or a clogged/stuck carb .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help guys! Problem has been solved. I thought it was an issue with the size of the hardware I was using, when of course it was a a case of being an idiot. The left post was missing the nut - so there really wasn't anything for the bolt to lock into! Ha.... So, in my great and obvious brilliance - I bought a couple nuts. Test ride was great - no more problem at 5k rpm.

It'd be great if every problem cost less than a buck to fix!

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts