Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 months ago I bought a Battery Tender Jr.. It has worked out fine and made starting with my 4 year old battery a sure thing. However, I have noticed that if I hook up the BT right after I ride it, the red LED will stay on for a long time...like 4+ hours. If I wait overnight and hook it up the next morning, then it will start the green blinking mode after a short period, then go to steady green, indicating all is well. What's with it staying in full charge mode right after a ride for extended time? Does it have something to do with the battery being warm? ninjamon

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then why doesn't it quickly go into the fully charged mode(steady green) when I hook it up right after a ride?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
ninjamon said:
Then why doesn't it quickly go into the fully charged mode(steady green) when I hook it up right after a ride?
donno... perhaps it's detecting a high voltage and performing some kind of maintenance on the battery's charge...? you shouldn't have to keep hooking it up after every ride though, that's overkill.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
When's the last time you topped off the battery w/ distilled water?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Battery Tender Question
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:24:47 pm » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When's the last time you topped off the battery w/ distilled water?

About a month ago. I'm pretty certain that's not the issue. It seems that right after a ride( when you would expect the battery to be fine )if you hook it up to the BT the brain of the BT can't deal with a fully charged battery, and keeps it on full charge mode rather than going directly into maintenance mode. Well, this is an easily solved issue, as I'll just wait a day or two before hooking up in the future. Thanks for the input. :)

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
The engine only generates enough charging current to overcome the load when it's reved above 3-4000 rpm. Most of the short time running at the end of a ride is below this threshold, therfore draining the battery slightlly. The battery tender only charges at 1 amp or less and will take several hours to replace the used voltage. all perfectlly normal.

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FOG said:
The engine only generates enough charging current to overcome the load when it's reved above 3-4000 rpm. Most of the short time running at the end of a ride is below this threshold, therfore draining the battery slightlly. The battery tender only charges at 1 amp or less and will take several hours to replace the used voltage. all perfectlly normal.

FOG
You've got the Operational Draw of the bike figured out? Last i knew, no one knew what it was...

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Knightslugger said:
FOG said:
The engine only generates enough charging current to overcome the load when it's reved above 3-4000 rpm. Most of the short time running at the end of a ride is below this threshold, therefore draining the battery slightly. The battery tender only charges at 1 amp or less and will take several hours to replace the used voltage. all perfectly normal.

FOG
You've got the Operational Draw of the bike figured out? Last i knew, no one knew what it was...
No, just a common sense statement. The other possibility for his Battery Tender not showing a full charge is, the Battery Tender's own circuitry. I have no idea what that might be. I know I'm going to hate myself in the morning for even offering a guess on this vague post.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
FOG said:
I know I'm going to hate myself in the morning for even offering a guess on this vague post.

FOG
You're too hard on yourself, I think :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got another question about batteries and tenders...what is the longest you would expect your Battery Tender Jr( .75 amps ) to stay in the red with a battery that has been functioning OK? I just added distilled water to my 4 year old battery(the level was not below the low level line), have had it on the charger for about 8 hours, and it is still in the red. Is this an indication that it's not taking a charge very well? ninjamon

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
i've never used a BT in my LIFE, nor do i have need to think that i ever will... however the battery on my CBR is SMALL. about half the size of the EX500 Battery and a normal charge is 900mA @ 10 hours. to me, 750mA sounds ridiculously low, even for a maintainer charge.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Another math question. Charger puts out .75 amp
Fully charges Barttery hold 150 amp hrs(guess) if you 1/2 discharged the battery it will take 100 hrs to recharge fully or

75 lost amps /.75 recharging amps = 100

Note don't hold me to these numbers they are just for an example.

Also why battery tenders are a joke.

FOG

·
Registered
146 Posts
FOG said:
Another math question. Charger puts out .75 amp
Fully charges Barttery hold 150 amp hrs(guess) if you 1/2 discharged the battery it will take 100 hrs to recharge fully or

75 lost amps /.75 recharging amps = 100

Note don't hold me to these numbers they are just for an example.

Also why battery tenders are a joke.

FOG
Fully charged stock battery holds 14 Amp hours... Amp-Hours means that the batery will handle a 1 amp draw for about 14 hours. I think you are thinking Cold Cranking Amps. CCA is a measure of peak force, sort of like peak torque(how much peak torque will the engine put out?), AH is a measure of capacity,(how long will the engine run on a tank of gas while putting out a certain amount of torque?). Throw an amp at a dead 14 AH battery and it will be fully charged in about 14 hours. Battery Tenders and other float chargers are certainly not a joke.

My float charger shuts off when the RPMs are around 4k,(I was not paying attention to the exact RPM, but it was around there) so 4k is about where the alternator is producing enough voltage to charge the battery.

To answer the original question, it does sound like the charger is designed for use with a cool battery. I know that the temperature of the battery does effect it's resistance, which is what the charger is looking at.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I would think about getting one of the gel batteries to replace your four year old one. The old style batteries tend to "sulfate" and not hold a charge, especially after four years.

You won't be sorry that you don't have to worry about topping up the level and you won't have to worry about acid spilling if your bike is tipped.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point exer...I think the battery will last thru this Summer, but I doubt that it'll make it when the weather starts getting cold. ninjamon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts