Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Battery wiring issue...

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  yorkie 
#1 ·

Hey y’all, first timer here. Relatively new into bikes as well. I picked up an 03 ninja 500r as a project. The guy I got it from said it was a dead battery, but the battery isn’t the issue. As you can see in the picture, there’s this wire that goes to whatever. Not too sure what it is. I’ve been through two batteries now, and they both have gotten super hot (especially the positive terminals). It’s gotten hot before even when these two wires were wrapped together

anyone know what exactly the issue might be?

See less See more
#2 ·
those wires are supposed to be joined together by a bullet connector (it is the main negative wire for the bike)
as for the wires getting hot you have a major short circuit somewhere. check and clean all the connectors on the bike check for melting. over heating. or wires shorting out in the loom or rubbing on the frame or brackets. one place that can short is on the wire clip that holds the harness in place under the tank on the front bracket. or the multi connector for the RR behind the left side panel under the seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.