Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so be nice. :) I thought I had a starter problem till I read somewhere how to jump start my bike off my truck. It works great. Bike fires right up and runs great. Anyway I let it run for an hour or so just driving around the neighborhood thinking that would charge the battery up. Soon as I killed it and tried to refire it fails. I started digging some more and found out the battery needs water. I have added distilled water and jumped the bike again. I let it run just for a little bit then killed it and it won't start the bike. The battery alone reads like 11.6 and 13.6 running. Is there any way to tell if the battery is shot and I should just buy a new one? I live in Texas the bike is run year long but I only ride it maybe two - four times a month at least while it was working. If it is the battery any recommendations on a maint-free battery for our bikes. Thanks for helping out a newbie.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The experienced folks will chime in shortly I'm sure. Meanwhile...

I read somewhere that when the battery needs a fair amount of (distilled) water that the battery needs to be carefully sloshed around in order to mix the new water with the denser (heavier) acid.

Check all the wires & connectors for clean dry fittings/connections that are bolted down tight.

There are new gel batteries available that are smaller, never need water & can be mounted in any position.
But study up on them first... just search on line looking for neutral-party perspectives (not the sellers).

There are some battery topics here too.
Go to the homepage, then enter "battery" in the search box, then enjoy the exploration.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
I read somewhere that when the battery needs a fair amount of (distilled) water that the baserry needs to be carefully sloshed around in order to mix the new water with the denser (heavier) acid.

This is Not a good Idea. It will only serve to stir up the deposits that have fallen off the plates in the bottom of the battery and could cause them to partialluy plug up the working cells.

FOG

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Put it on a low amperage charge. If that doesn't do it you're going to have to get a new battery. Once the plates have sulfated, a condition associated with complete discharge there is no fixing it. :'(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Whatever turns out to be the issue with the battery, be sure to get youself a Battery Tender.....

http://www.batterytender.com/

If you're not using your bike for an extended period of time (more than a couple of days) plug the battery into the tender. They come with two sets of clips. One for direct insertion while the battery is still in the bike, and one for when it's removed and being stored seperately. Unlike alot of chargers, this one is literally plug in, and walk away. It won't overcharge and fry the battery. It has two luminated displays. One is green, which shows the battery is fully charged. One is red, which shows the battery is in the process of being charged. When left for a duration, they just fluxuate back and forth. Never harming the battery.

They're priced around the same cost of a battery itself. But will save you from buying a new one each year.

·
Registered
270 Posts
like fog said don't shake up the old battery, you can have your battery load tested anything under 10.5 charge it if it won't hold the charge replace it. If you don't really want to worry about your batter get a gel cell.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
if your battery voltage is below 12.6 volts, you have a problem. it may be shot due to some internal damage to the cells. attempt to charge it using a proper charger. 1 or 2 amps overnight should do the trick. if it wont accept a charge, replace it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mugwump said:
Put it on a low amperage charge. If that doesn't do it you're going to have to get a new battery. Once the plates have sulfated, a condition associated with complete discharge there is no fixing it. :'(
that's what I was gonna say. I had a car battery once that pushed enough volts to run the car, but no longer could produce enough amperage to engage the starter.

FWIW everyone says the stock battery sucks and should be replaced after a year. I am lazy and have winter'd my bike twice with the stock battery installed, connected, no battery tender, and it still cranks right up in spring, although this year i had to jump it initially.

i suspect next season I'll just get a new battery and not even try to get any more life outta the current stock battery.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Knightslugger said:
if your battery voltage is below 12.6 volts, you have a problem. it may be shot due to some internal damage to the cells. attempt to charge it using a proper charger. 1 or 2 amps overnight should do the trick. if it wont accept a charge, replace it.
yeah what he said.

I had a bike with a so so battery that plauged me for a season. Finaly I gave in and bought a new one, problem solved !

Batteries get old and die slow, especialy when run without water, and or long storage with no charge / discharge cycles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking for a sealed battery but went looking and got a regular one for 40 bucks. It may not last as long but hey the bike is running again. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts