Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy an exhaust system for my bike and cant decide if I want to buy two slip on cans or do a full system, to turn it 2-1. Does the material the exhaust is made out actually affect the sound or just the weight loss? I'd like carbon fiber pipes but I know those can run up the bill. I'm looking to spend under 400 dollars if possible. I was looking at hindle for 2-1 and delkevic for the slip ons. I know that there is no horse power really to be gained from doing anything to this bike so I'm mostly looking to get the best sound. I read that you had to take off the center stand in order to do a 2-1 though, which I'd like to avoid doing, but if I have to, its not a problem. Is there a benefit aside from being able to reach your helmet locks by doing a 2-1 system? I like the racier sounding exhausts of 600's and 650's but I know that the ninja 500 probably wont quite reach that tone regardless of what I get. Anyone have any suggestions for exhausts?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
it will never reach that tone... it's not a 4 cylinder engine. but it will sound like a 650 though, just a bit raspier.

My suggestion? Sarachu. pricy, but nice. otherwise, Delkavic makes a great sounding exhaust for little coin. but they are big.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly i'd like the one thats the least pain in the ass to install,i keep reading about certain ones not fitting right or causing problems with the rear brake, or center stand or the headers not fitting right for full systems.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
too many variables to say anything certain. a mounting point could be bent, a joint could be rusted, previous modifications, etc...

they're close, that's what matters. that said, slip-ons are far easier to install than full systems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, I just don't know what to do, i have the money kickin aroun to do it but I don't want to buy an exhaust if its not really worth it, I don't want to lose power or mess up the fuel mixture. I keep reading mixed reviews on doing up exhaust on an ex500, if slip ons are easiest, I may just roll with those for noise and do a full system on the next bike I buy. Where can I actually buy a sarachu set online, I have been looking around and so far can't find a place in english to order them. If i buy slip ons do I need to rejet the bike after or will it run just fine?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seems to me you should just keep your stock exhaust :p

You are trying:
1. not to spend a lot of money.
2. to make it as easy as possible.
3. not to mess up the bike or lose power.

Buying a new exhaust will not:
1. make you cooler.
2. improve performance. (according to most people on this forum)

So when it comes down to it you're looking at paying $200 to $600+ for... a cool noise? I'm proud of my EX500 sounding like a rabid sewing machine; I have an economy sportbike that gets the job done and still has a bit of style.

Take that extra money and save it for something better!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
loud exhausts dont really bother my ears too much,i think what I really dont wanna deal with as far as installation goes is tuning the carbs cause that is an area to which I am not familiar with. I do want a hindle exhaust if I was gonna buy a full system, I saw one on hindles website for like 350 for the ex500, but it didn't seem to show an actually muffler in the picture nor did it give me an option of what size muffler to buy, it just said recommended 16-18 inch can, which to me says, "I don't come with a muffler, buy your own"

·
Registered
553 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother. The only reason wife's has Two Bros is because it needed mufflers and the price was about the same as stock (not once I got ripped off for the connecting pipes).

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
stsdude2 said:
ya, I just don't know what to do, i have the money kickin aroun to do it but I don't want to buy an exhaust if its not really worth it, I don't want to lose power or mess up the fuel mixture. I keep reading mixed reviews on doing up exhaust on an ex500, if slip ons are easiest, I may just roll with those for noise and do a full system on the next bike I buy. Where can I actually buy a sarachu set online, I have been looking around and so far can't find a place in english to order them. If i buy slip ons do I need to rejet the bike after or will it run just fine?
Edward at speedbikecafe can probably still import them. you'll be spending more that $400 for them though.

you will never need to rejet this motorcycle, unless you bore it out. you will however need to tune the pilot jets and reset your fuel mixture. if you care. i didn't bother to do anything when i repiped my 500R.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Best exhaust for the money - stock. It's already one exhaust per 250cc cyl, can't get much freer flowing than that - aftermarket do not really offer much reduction in back pressure due to this, just some weight saving.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
it is cheaper... for certain. and the least bothersome to deal with... but, it's not loud, which goes against his wants. he wants to burn money let him.

i burn money every time i race. I have never gotten paid for my races... we all have our wants and they seldom make sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So apparently the hindle full exhaust system does not include a muffler so scratch that I can't afford that much. Any other full system exhausts that dont give too much trouble to install that I could spend around 400 on?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just followed some previous posts and gutted my stock pipes and did it neatly so it still looks stock and sounds great. People notice me a lot more for sure, won't give me a headache ever! I love it, I do about 300 miles to work every week. I took video through most of the process before and after sound bites. Haven't had time to edit, been a couple of weeks now, will post this week end. Only down side is idling in a odd hours thru my gated community, got a few looks at first but no I think they're used to it. ;D

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ex500 500R
17 Posts
I just followed some previous posts and gutted my stock pipes and did it neatly so it still looks stock and sounds great. People notice me a lot more for sure, won't give me a headache ever! I love it, I do about 300 miles to work every week. I took video through most of the process before and after sound bites. Haven't had time to edit, been a couple of weeks now, will post this week end. Only down side is idling in a odd hours thru my gated community, got a few looks at first but no I think they're used to it. ;D
What do you mean by "gutted" what is this process? I was thinking of changing out my exhaust not only to get a quieter sounding bike but for looks as well. The bike sounds good when I have the throttle stretched out but other than that it sounds like a go cart. But that's just what om hearing from driving the bike, I've never heard the way it sounds from someone else riding it and me just being in the area as the bike passes by . Does gutting them make them louder?

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Answer is yes, louder is the result

This thread has been dead for 10 years. I doubt any of the posters in it are still around to respond.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
There is zero being lowkey w an exhaust.

I have a delkevic 2-1 , probably lost HP, pain in the ass to change the oil. My girlfriends neighborhood loves it when I come and go late at night.

Sometimes I get tempted to post in old threads too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts