Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to glue the tabs to the headlight that were broken off so that I can mount the headlight to the new upper fairing I got. What would be the best glue to use? I only have 1 tab from the headlight and two tabs that I can glue. Should that be good enough?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
get some of that epoxy stuff that comes in the two tubes and you mix together. they sell it at wal mart, and pretty much any hardware store too.

look for one that says its for plastic on the label, because some of them wont work on plastics.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've not had success with Epoxy, but the following has worked for me:

First glue using ABS cement.
Then reinforce with a product called "Plast-Aid."

·
Registered
47 Posts
The epoxy mentioned by dragknee is also what I used to repair my cracked fairing. Damn strong stuff. You'll know if you go the right stuff if you mix it together and damn near gag from the stench it puts off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I tried the ABS glue didn't work....tried JB weld for plastics but it didn't work either. I have a broken tab to and it rattles. so I'm going Duct tape it to cut down on vibes.
:-\

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeah, ABS alone won't do it. That's why I reinforce with the Plast-Aid after. Epoxy never seems to last a day with me, but other people say they've had luck, so you could try it...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The epoxy I've used does not like to flex, nor does it like heavy (hi amplitude) vibration.
When cured it is strong but brittle.

ABS glue, + reinforcement on the back side, seems like a good possibility...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Plastex works very well on it's own. For added reinforcement, using fiberglass cloth with plastex works very well. Depending on how much space you have to work with, window screening can be used as well. Some plastex kits come with material for forming a mold from existing tabs to create new tabs. I don't sell the stuff, but I have used it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Well, I tried locktite super glue and I thought worked well until I tried to bolt the headlight on the fairing. They snapped right off. I think I might have to buy a new headlight. ****...another $200! Can't find a used one with all tabs. Not even ebay. Same thing with upper fairing. I went through **** and back to get a used one on ebay and still paid $300. Here is the progress so far after father in law wrecked it (http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,1508.0.html) and insurance company totaled it and I bought it back. I'm thinking about painting it flat black. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Looks like it's bounced back rather quickly, it's coming along nicely.

Flat black is the direction I'm heading, maybe with some graphics laid on top of it. Done right it looks just plain mean, all about business.

For the headlight, is there not a way you can mount it differently? I think I'd improvise a way before I'd buy a new headlight.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That project is progressing fast :eek:

You seem to be doing it right ;D

Flat black is an awesome look, I like it much 8)

Keep up the great work :)

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
ABS glue is still the best , but you must understand how to use it. All the paint must be removed from the area to be glued. a overlap of 1/4" all arounf the joint needs to be coated. a second layer applied after 1 hour. and a reinforcment of solid material (abs) if possiable. Finally the cure time can be several days depending on the thickness and what the load on the repair will be.

FOG

·
Registered
261 Posts
FOG said:
ABS glue is still the best , but you must understand how to use it. All the paint must be removed from the area to be glued. a overlap of 1/4" all around the joint needs to be coated. a second layer applied after 1 hour. and a reinforcement of solid material (abs) if possible. Finally the cure time can be several days depending on the thickness and what the load on the repair will be.

FOG
+1

I have had great success working with ABS doing exactly as FOG described. Go to the hardware store and get some black ABS drainwater pipe and some coarse sandpaper while your there. Use a hacksaw to cut reinforcement pieces from the pipe. Rough up everything with the sandpaper then glue it up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Devcon plastic welder works really good. It worked on the tabs on the headlight and my front fender that is broke in half is solid. I've put over 50 lbs of pressure and didn't even move. This stuff is amazing.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=278

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I've got a tube of that stuff in the garage somewhere that I haven't got to use yet, good to know it's good stuff.

·
Registered
547 Posts
+1
This Plast-Aid is what I repaired my EX250's fairings with. It works great.
Tony

operaflute said:
I've not had success with Epoxy, but the following has worked for me:

First glue using ABS cement.
Then reinforce with a product called "Plast-Aid."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts