Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I want to protect my front fairing, exhaust cans, water pump cover, etc. from damage during regular "street use" type drops. I do not race. I'm far more likely to drop the bike at low speeds or while it's parked than at high speed. I've been reading about "frame sliders" "crash bobbins" etc. and I'm not even sure they are what I need. (Ideally I'd like some sturdy crash bars front and rear--but I don't have the skills or tools to fab anything like that.)

What I'm wondering is, what's the best place to put frame sliders to protect the front fairing and other vulnerable parts on an ex500 for street use? I would imagine I need them at or near the engine mounts, but I'm not sure even longish ones placed there will protect the front turn signals and that part of the fairing. I was also thinking about putting some at the rear foot peg mounts, to protect the cans. I am also wondering if some attached to the bar ends would help with the front fairings or even the handle bars.

I have looked at some of the available options for the ex and most seem to be the shorter ones for track riders. I would like them longer. I'm thinking about making some out of plastic cylinders or skateboard wheels--maybe stacking two skateboard wheels where I need long ones.

One of my main concerns is making the situation even more dangerous if I do get into a high speed crash with these things. Ideally I'd like to have something that prevents some damage in a low speed spill but will grind off/snap off before causing a cartwheel or something at high speed.

On a side note, but closely related, has anybody found a good front turn signal that is not so damned vulnerable when the bike is dropped? I've been browsing the "flush mount" options but most of it seems to be "mini" this or that, or "carbon" something or other. I want something big, bright and highly visible that I won't impale the front fairing quite so easily.

If any of you have any tips, advice, or experience with this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts