Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an ex500 center stand, and then when i go to attach it i find one side of the hinge on the bike bent pretty far. what's the best way to straighten it? all i could think of was a blow torch to heat it up first maybe...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
275 Posts
maybe you could give it a quick shot with a torch before driving a wedge inbetween to make things a little easier

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
The frame parts are completely soft and maleable. you can bend it cold or you can heat it red hot if you wish. you can hammer it or grab it with any sort of tool you may have. There is very little danger of damageing it either way. Generally speaking weldments are almost always so. At least on steel Motorcycles.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
knarlydood said:
what's the best way to straighten it?
Muscle and elbow grease. Take a bit of stress out.. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried prying it apart with an adjustable wrench cold but man that sucker wouldn't budge, and having almost no space to work with doesn't help matters

think i'll get a blow torch...

if only there were a dremel attachment that could solve this :p

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Swing by a body shop and ask if they could use one of their hook slide hammers on it. Mechanics might have one too but they're less likely to have the big ole' hook type. It should only take them a minute or so if they can access it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
applied a generous amount of blowtorch, used a slide hammer as a lever (nothing else I have that can fit there gives me any leverage), and broke the slide hammer. think i may have to employ a professional :-\

G

·
Will removing the rear wheel give you more room? What size adjustable did you try? It's only mild steel so it should bend without much problem as long as you can get an adjustable large enough and can get a good grip on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the task is done :)

final solution:
1. apply blowtorch
2. use claw end of hammer to force it out as much as possible
3. apply blowtorch
4. use wrench to force it out the remainder of the distance
5. centerstand fits great

thanks to all feedback :D