Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, $50 dollars later, my bike is down right good looking. Still needs new tires, and a new gas cap, but for now it's looking good. Got my new muffler too. Got it on eBay for 36 dollars including shipping. Got shipped out of New York on Monday, arrived at my door on Wednesday.

Still needs too have the wheels painted black, but that will have to wait until I take them off the bike too change the tires, which will probably be in the next couple of weeks. It's really coming together now.

Now, I need to find a good used seat, and order my mirrors. Good times.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Shoot, once you get a little cleaning-up done, oil that chain, get the seat recovered, and get those mirrors on... you're in business!

If you have any tire-shine use it on the hoses, but NOT anywhere on the tire treds. Is the coolant in good shape, brake fluids topped off, etc?

Making progress! ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That coolant was left over from a car we had bought a year ago. There's fresh coolant in the bike. Fluids are all good. Still need to re-oil the chain.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Great work, keep the pictures coming and the progress ongoing ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best part was replacing the right muffler. Now it's quite enough I can ride it. I just spent the last twenty minutes just riding back and forth in my neighborhood. God, I need a new set of tires so I can start taking it up to better speeds. I haven't taken it above 25-30mph or so.

Here's a before shot for comparison.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're doing a great job estrada42.

·
Registered
348 Posts
How did you have those plastics painted?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey Est, I noticed u said about changing your seat. I see that your bike is gen 1. I don't know if the seats are interchangable or not. But I am waiting on my corbin seat to get here (very impatient) I know that I need the hardware off the bottom but the top doesn't seem like it will be doing me much good just laying around if you might be interested in it.. It will be off a 2006 in excellent condition

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking into finding a seat right now. If I can't find one locally. I'll let you know.

I've also decided to paint the wheels gold instead of black. I'm a die-hard Subaru Rally fan, and gold wheels have always looked good for them. I think gold would be sweet on the black bike.

Not to go too off topic, but how much stuff on the back wheel can be painted? I know it has a drum brake, but is there anything back there, or on the front wheel for that matter that shouldn't be painted?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
estrada42 said:
Not to go too off topic, but how much stuff on the back wheel can be painted? I know it has a drum brake, but is there anything back there, or on the front wheel for that matter that shouldn't be painted?
Obviously, don't paint the brake pads or discs/drum. I'd cover the axle holes with tape and maybe cover any bolt holes or fill them with a bolt or something. Outside of that I'd think you're good. If you paint the sprocket it'll probably wear back off and just flake away really quick.

I thought you meant you got the bike for $50, I was amazed :p. Looks awesome, though. Had you considered just recovering your seat? You could shape the foam however you want and even custom cover it if you wanted. The easiest way would be to just pull the staples, take off the old cover, and cut a new piece of vinyl to put back on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually I got the bike for free.

I thought about recovering it, but I've never done that before, so I'm not sure where to start. I'll start looking into it though.

The $50 dollar thing was because the muffler was 36 and the paint was maybe 15.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Damn u got it for free.. I wish my luck was that good. I mean yea it needs some TLC put isn't that what makes a great relationship

1 - 15 of 15 Posts