Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 EX-500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member from NE Georgia. The previous 4 or 5 Ninjas I've owned, tracked and raced were 250s. Thought I'd step it up to the 500 this time. My mechanic had a purple '01 sitting outside & sad for years. I finally rescued it - new tires, gas lines, hoses, plugs, AGM battery, etc. With only 4,000 miles on it, I had to give it a new life. She's ugly, but mechanically great. Currently sharing a garage with my '12 Honda NC700x commuter. No, that's not me in the pictures, my wife says she wants to ride the Ninja and maybe my oldest son will throw a leg over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Welcome from the Land of Evil Spirits! We have seen far, far worse examples. And, yours came with a few mods. does it run well? As long as it has the stock airbox, the carb tuning should be OK. Should be. No telling what others have done to it.

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts

·
Registered
2001 EX-500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I'm not sure about airbox mods, but my mechanic got the jetting right when he rebuilt the carb. Runs great with just a little popping from the Muzzy at roll-off. It's nice to have a bike that revs again, the NC700 runs out of RPMs at under 6000! It's worth it for the 60+ mpg though.

I'm thinking some paint on the windscreen instead of a new one, unless I find a screaming deal.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, I'm not sure about airbox mods, but my mechanic got the jetting right when he rebuilt the carb. Runs great with just a little popping from the Muzzy at roll-off. It's nice to have a bike that revs again, the NC700 runs out of RPMs at under 6000! It's worth it for the 60+ mpg though.

I'm thinking some paint on the windscreen instead of a new one, unless I find a screaming deal.
Search eBay, Craig's List and OfferUp. Be patient if you don't find a deal right away. There are hundreds of them out there. If it has a big black lastic airbox behind the carbs and under the seat, then it is the original - the only one that was engineered to work with the carbs and motor. Its internal capacity is 7 liters for a reason. If the carbs just have cheapie pod filters, it will never run completely right.
As to mileage, I think most EXs get in the 50s, but I have a best of 64mpg,freeway/Interstate riding. They like to cruise at 6-7K or about 80mph. The motor is in a sweet spot there.

Reactions: Dalewman
1 - 6 of 6 Posts