Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First time rider here. Just picked up my 2006 ninja 500 3 weeks ago and I'm loving it. Runs great and have put about 700 miles on it mainly on PCH / Malibu. Beautiful Beautiful machine however I'm having a serious issue.

Just yesterday I went to pull my bike out for a ride and noticed heavy of resistance (in neutral with the bike off). It was as if parts of the wheels rotation were freezing up almost as if in gear kinda. This had never happened. Even after riding hot engine oils, same issue, I cannot roll the bike backwards... I have to get off and FORCE the bike back....
I read it could be a bearing issue, or transmission issue.

FYI - I've replaced all fluids, engine oil, oil filter, brake pads and oil front and back, coolant, spark plugs, air filter, thermostat this was well over 500 miles ago and no issues then...

Any help would be great,, would hate to take to a mechanic, when I can try it myself...

Thanks, HM.

·
Border Kong
962 Posts
Did you do full caliper service when you changed the brake pads? It could be a caliper still holding the wheel.

Reactions: Hamzah812

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
check the wheel for dragging on something the trans should not do this ,unless your not in neutral is the green light on?

FOG

Reactions: Hamzah812

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do full caliper service when you changed the brake pads? It could be a caliper still holding the wheel.
I did not do any caliper maintenance other than scrubbing sludge & gunk off of it and pushing back the piston. Ps. the bike was working perfectly fine well over 2-300 miles after I did all of the maintenance, this issue just happened overnight on 4-11-2021. I've been riding daily about 50miles these last 2 weeks even today and same thing can't back it up easy. Gotta force it back which can't be good.

I know my tire pressure is low [27/29] but this issue is something else. A gear or wheel issue. If I can post video I would...
From other forums I read, I will try and remove the rear brake caliper and roll the bike backwards and see if the "resistance/stopping force" is eliminated or reduced.
Others have mentioned the gear oil when cold may cause a bit of resistance which makes sense but my issue with the bike being hard to back up is happening even with the bike on and in neutral...

Will post update soon.
I need to replace my tires too...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put the bike on the center stand and determine which wheel(s) are causing the heavy resistance.
Thanks I just thought of that this morning. And looks like I figured it out...
When I put it on the center stand and rolled the wheel back I immediately noticed the rear caliper rocking back and then clamping on the wheel.
Somehow somewhere less than a few days ago the top caliper bolt must have came out. The 2nd/ lower bolt was coming loose.
I'm going to home depot to get the 2nd hex bolt and keep an eye on these parts.

Going to be replacing my right handle bar (stock is bent) & my tires within April.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I would not use hardware store bolts. Rather, order up an HD stainless socket head of 8.8 or 10.9 grade. Two of them, actually. A drop or two of blue loctite will keep them where they should be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not use hardware store bolts. Rather, order up an HD stainless socket head of 8.8 or 10.9 grade. Two of them, actually. A drop or two of blue loctite will keep them where they should be.
Thanks I will look into those, and the loctite.
I did buy 10.9 grade fasteners for replacing all of the fairings fasteners. Stock fasteners required like 3 different tools now I just have x1 10mm head on all the bolts, much more convenient.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all,

First time rider here. Just picked up my 2006 ninja 500 3 weeks ago and I'm loving it. Runs great and have put about 700 miles on it mainly on PCH / Malibu. Beautiful Beautiful machine however I'm having a serious issue.

Just yesterday I went to pull my bike out for a ride and noticed heavy of resistance (in neutral with the bike off). It was as if parts of the wheels rotation were freezing up almost as if in gear kinda. This had never happened. Even after riding hot engine oils, same issue, I cannot roll the bike backwards... I have to get off and FORCE the bike back....
I read it could be a bearing issue, or transmission issue.

FYI - I've replaced all fluids, engine oil, oil filter, brake pads and oil front and back, coolant, spark plugs, air filter, thermostat this was well over 500 miles ago and no issues then...

Any help would be great,, would hate to take to a mechanic, when I can try it myself...

Thanks, HM.
You may have filled the master cylinder reservoir too high. As the fluid expands with the heat of braking, it can put pressure on the pads if there is no room in the reservoir. Take the cover off the reservoir and dip a CLEAN paper towel into the fluid to remove some of the brake fluid. You may find the wheel turns easier now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may have filled the master cylinder reservoir too high. As the fluid expands with the heat of braking, it can put pressure on the pads if there is no room in the reservoir. Take the cover off the reservoir and dip a CLEAN paper towel into the fluid to remove some of the brake fluid. You may find the wheel turns easier now.
Thanks for the info, that def makes logical sense... too much brake fluid only one way to go... ----> caliper piston.
However, I figured it out after placing the bike on its centerstand and rolling the wheel back, the caliper was missing the top bolt (I attached a pic earlier) and so spinning the wheel back caused the caliper to somehow rub and catch the rotor...

I rode to home depot removed the 1 bolt and found the replacement... stainless steel bolt, it's a size m8 x 1.25mm x 16mm with 6mm Allen head. problem solved.

also just replaced my handlebar... top tip, make sure you install the handlebar right side up bc there are 2 holes in it... I had it upside down so the throttle assembly nub wouldn't fit in place... after like an hour I had this genius idea of flipping the handle bar lol.

The bike is in tip top mechanical condition now... only thing I need is the rear right fender in green and mint condition which is damn near impossible to locate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.