Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just bought an 05 ninja with 2600 miles. at first it was dying after i started it and then after restart and a little gas it was fine. I was driving it tonight, and while waiting for a light that never turned green, it just shut off. started it up, fine. Got on the highway going about 65 and all of a sudden it started dying and jerking, came back, was fine. Did it again. ran fine. Then I got into the city and it started doing it in 3rd gear, going 35, it started jerking and throwing me around. It would accelerate, stop, then lurch forward then stop, so on and so forth. At that point, it was about all i could do to get it home. it started doing it immediately as i started accelerating in first, then second... I have no idea what it could be, i'm new to motorcycles and just want to get it working without worrying about dying on the side of the highway.

Also, i don't know if it's relevant but the lights dim and brighten when i rev the engine. battery problem maybe?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but have u tried flipping it to reserve lol. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic but i've had that happen to me. I swore i wasn't out of gas until i looked :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no problem, actually i filled it up completely this morning, only 18 miles on the tank. this has been going on for a couple weeks, well i've only riden it a couple days.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Tank filler cap not venting, causing fuel starvation. Worse when tank is full because of smaller air head above fuel level developes a vacume faster that a large head (empty tank) Clean the cap vent.

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
donkeyman said:
What's the best way to clean that said tank vent? And what do you clean, the cap and the area around the tank where the cap sits?
open cap, cover tank opening, fire carb cleaner into key hole, reverse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot. When it was doing it at idle, or at warm up, someone told me i need to clean my pilot. Does it sound like I still need to do that?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
dubzilla said:
thanks alot. When it was doing it at idle, or at warm up, someone told me i need to clean my pilot. Does it sound like I still need to do that?
it would be more of a hesitation when you throttle up. couldn't HURT, but it's not your problem. might as well toss a fuel filter on there while your at it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great! My friend and I are planning on changing the fuel filter this week before our trip to the beach. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I tried blowing carb cleaner through the keyhole. no such like, it just shot back out. then i tried the other side, i imagine i was supposed to spray into the two tiny holes? so i tried to spray into those, also no luck. any other ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so whether i was supposed to or not, i took my gas cap apart, sprayed through the tiny holes, they're fine, sprayed through the tiny hole behind the key where it blew out of this other hole blowing out some plastic cap. unfortunately, still can't get through the key hole, so i guess now we atleast know where the clog is. any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i'm about to jump off a cliff here. I took the entire gas cap apart, stuck wire through every hole i could find and it's still doing it within 3 minutes of riding. I don't know what to do but i'm stressing out like crazy

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Safety aside, I'd try running it with the cap cracked to see if it still dies, just to rule out a venting problem? Before the cliff, at least...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to have to do that when I come back from vacation at this point. My friend who's an auto mechanic and knows a bit about bikes rode it for 20 minutes today with no problem, i rode for 10 and it died at a stop light. then when i hit the button to restart, nothing happened at all, so i had to wait a minute to turn it on again. does that mean it could be electrical? I dunno.

What's a california bike?

G

·
CA bikes are a bit different due to strict emission laws, i think thats why he asked.

this may seem dumb, but make sure the vac line to the petcock is not partly off or bent or pinched etc etc. the other day when i put my tank back on after a tune up, the vac line got partly pinched off and did similiar things. then i took a look and was like "man imma dumbass" after several minutes of frustration and choice words.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
the reason i ask if it's a cali bike, is because the cap isn't the vent on these versions. the vent actually goes into a charcoal canister for recirculation. that connection is located in front on the tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't believe it's a cali bike. I did just take it apart again, there's the chance i may have put it back together wrong, ofcourse, these things may or may not have caused the same venting problems. However, i won't find out till i can ride it tonight. An after thought after i put the gas cap back together and on my bike, ofcourse, when i blew carb cleaner through the keyhole, it came out through the cylinder dedicated to the actual lock, is that the only place it's supposed to come out? I'm seeing holes all over the damn thing. holes to somewhere, holes to nowhere.

it's amazing how much i'm learning about a gas cap though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts