Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 EX500 and I pulled my bike out of storage the other day. It was stored with gas stabilizer and removed the battery for the winter. Poured some new gas in the tank attached the battery and it started right up. I was driving it around and it sounded great. I turned off the bike and a few hours later I went to start it again and it sounded like it was going to start until I heard a pretty loud knock. It was on the center stand (not sure if that matters). Now it won't start. It has plenty of battery life. It won't even turnover, just clicks. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
just a guess exploding magnets. take the side case off and have a look. also if you left the petcock on while it was stood check for fuel in the oil. and remove the plugs in case the engine is hydro locked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would start with turning the engine over manually (through the access hole, and turning the crank clockwise) to see if it is truly mechanically locked. Take out the plugs and see what is going on in the cylinders, then if you need to, remove the alternator/starter side cover. It does sound like a serious mechanical failure.

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
883 Posts
What they say ^^

Take out the spark plugs, and the flywheel access cover (the big slotted plug at the flywheel cover), insert a 14mm die and turn it clockwise only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! I finally got out to looking at this and there is definitely gas in the oil. The site window was completely full (couldn't see the top of the oil level). I drained the oil but I'm wondering if some seals need to be replaced and if so which ones. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,638 Posts
Clasic petcock to float valve path leakage,
you must fix: Petcock to not leak when off.
Carb float valve to be sure the shut off gas flow
Or it will happen again

FOG

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issues ! The key was lost for my 05 ninja 500r , so now you can start it with a screwdriver. The ignition switch shorted out on some metal .so I changed the ignition switch harness and 2 fuses one of them was in fuse box and the other one by the starter solenoid. Wouldn't start. Took it to my shop .dad takes bike off truck with tow straps one in front and one in back . Lifts it up and the front one slips off and the bike dangles there for a minute. It never hit the ground . Then I took out the plugs and drained all fluids let sit over night with plugs out and exhaust un screwed .fill the oil and primary (I think the primary fill is on clutch handle side? With about half quart , oil light is now on and.wont start ...even pulled it with a truck and u barely starts i give it gas and nothing but bogging down ...i pull my clutch handle and engine stops . Bought new coils and still cant get it started .why ?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm having the same issues ! The key was lost for my 05 ninja 500r , so now you can start it with a screwdriver. The ignition switch shorted out on some metal .so I changed the ignition switch harness and 2 fuses one of them was in fuse box and the other one by the starter solenoid. Wouldn't start. Took it to my shop .dad takes bike off truck with tow straps one in front and one in back . Lifts it up and the front one slips off and the bike dangles there for a minute. It never hit the ground . Then I took out the plugs and drained all fluids let sit over night with plugs out and exhaust un screwed .fill the oil and primary (I think the primary fill is on clutch handle side? With about half quart , oil light is now on and.wont start ...even pulled it with a truck and u barely starts i give it gas and nothing but bogging down ...i pull my clutch handle and engine stops . Bought new coils and still cant get it started .why ?
Bought new coils and still cant get it started .why ?.
why!! because to put it blunt. you seem to have no idea WTF your doing. suggest you buy and read the manual before going further and completely trashing the bike. most of the above post is a list of unrelated issues. that seem to be unresolved in some way or other and the cause and effect of doing non required work is making the effort harder. if the initial issue was the ignition switch why drain all the fluids and undo the exhaust.
why buy new coils unless you are sure they were faulty. when the issue is probably somewhere else.
what the heck is primary what are you describing oil fill or coolant fill did you follow the procedures for filling the oil and coolant.
bikes wont start or run due to two main issues. lack of sparks or fuel. or a combination of the two.
you need to go through all the bike systems one by one to check and eliminate every part of the bike. for this you need a manual. start at the battery and work through all the electrics. then start on the fuel from the petcock to the carbs and out of the exhaust.
unless you do this quite honestly your just pi$$ing in the wind. there are very few occasions when there is a quick easy answer for a non running bike. diagnosis and repair is the only way to do it. one job at a time.
keyboard diagnostics are almost impossible without full detailed accounts of what is been done with a clear information basis. made up words to describe something means only you know what you are talking about. to everyone else it's just a guess. you need proper information and descriptions . photos also help a lot .

I apologise if this reply seems harsh or condescending. but the truth of it is getting a non running bike to a state of working well with reliability takes time and a great deal of effort . any help offered must have the understanding everyone is on the same page out of the same book. or efforts to sort it will be doomed.

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
trolling us perhaps?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
trolling us perhaps?
possibly ? but more likely just someone without any idea of the complex nature of a motorcycle or how it works.
someone who gets one not working and thinks by taking it apart and then putting it back together will magically make it work we all know this is impossible without finding the causes and fixing them.

such people often just join a dedicated forum for information only don't bother to make an introduction, interact or explain the circumstances of them joining. just dive right in with a series of questions or just one hoping for a magic answer instantly that costs nothing and saves them the bother of doing any research. most of these jump ship after one question and are never heard from again.
it would be simpler just to ignore these posts as fake. but that would let genuine people who really want to know but don't know how to. slip through the cracks. some really good members started this way yet turned into regular contributors.

if the OP is one of these he will take the hit and come back to explain exactly what he means or is trying to do. if not no loss just 20 mins writing a reply. in any event the second purchase after buying the bike should be a manual for it.
that is the best advice anyone can give. most the answers are in it somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
@Ninja500rjrock
If you want you can PM me, and I can direct you to a friendly website with some knowledgeable members that will be willing to help you with this.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
don't hold your breath....the subject troll hasn't logged on since his 1 and only playful post. I knew his ramblings couldn't be written by a serious human being.

·
Registered
883 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts