Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1990 EX500 that won't start. Battery seems fine, put a new start in but that didn't seem to be the problem. The starter is trying to move the shaft/flywheel but it won't budge. Tried popping clutch, doesn't work. I was reading about exploding magnets on this site so I took the stator cover off and took pictures. There is the orangish material that seem like it was on the magnets at one point; there were some fragments of that in the cover and on the magnets. Can someone take a look at the pictures and see if I need to replace the magnets and/or flywheel? Also, if that is not why the shaft won't move can you help me to figure out why it won't? Really appreciate your help. Looking forward to driving this summer!

Attachments

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,489 Posts
Put a wrench on the center flywheel bolt and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. Turn it over in a clockwise direction.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,175 Posts
just a guess here.....starter clutch jammed up. I'd get a flywheel puller and remove it to inspect further. Could be "loose bolt syndrome".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long you had the bike and when was the last time you had/saw it running.
I haven't ran the bike since last May but that is why I didn't ride it. It was running fine, I parked on the center stand let it sit for a few hours and started it while it was still on the center stand and I heard a pretty good 'knock'. After that it wouldn't turn.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Pull the plugs and rotate the engine by hand. Could be hydro-lock, in which a cylinder is partially filled with non-compressible gasoline. Even with fresh carbs, a bit of grunge in the gas will block a needle open and flood the cylinder. Thus, inline filter - if it does not already have one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I tried turning the flywheel bolt clockwise and it just loosened the bolt. Pulled the plugs and tried moving the flywheel by hand but it isn't budging even slightly. The starter chain has some slack so that is not stopping it. Tried to move the flywheel with a screwdriver and still not moving even a little. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
If you turned the bolt with sufficient force to loosen it, and the plugs were out, hmmm. It's in neutral, right? Have you tried to turn the engine counter-clockwise? It is also possible that the cam chain tensioner failed, allowing valves to hit pistons - fairly common. If you remove the flywheel/starter clutch and it still won't move, it's tear down time.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
yeah I agree. if you heard a clunk and now it's seized. sounds like something has broken.
if was me I would drop the oil and coolant and check for bits of metal in the fluids, then remove all the inspection covers.
flywheel case, clutch case, and cam cover. see if there is any visible damage, remove the CCT and flywheel and inspect those if there is nothing visible and you cannot get the engine to turn over by hand. it's seems the only logical step after that is engine out and a complete tear down to look for internal failure.
I have heard of this sort of thing happening it's not that rare, where the bolts on the starter clutch back out (locking the flywheel) or the CCT (on gen 1's) collapses allowing the cam chain to jump some teeth (slamming the valves into the top of the piston) or even a rocker nut coming unscrewed then bouncing around a bit before going down the cam chain hole and jamming the chain, only way to find those is by a tear down. if it's not something peripheral you can see or discover a tear down may be your only option. (or look for a replacement engine) if you need it on the road,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it was definitely in neutral when i tried. Also tried it counterclockwise, won't move at all. I will try pulling off the flywheel and starter clutch and try again. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I pulled off the flywheel completely; no visible damage. Tried turning the shaft and was not happening at all, either direction. Was there something else before I start tearing the engine apart? Thanks!

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,175 Posts
the next move through the top end....pull the valve cover, give a look see

1 - 12 of 12 Posts