Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 05 with 500 miles on it. When the temp is warm enough to maintain adequate heat the bike runs great. But on real cool days it not only takes forever to warm up but it runs poorly until hot. The symptoms are bogging and hesitation between 4 and 5 grand. Is this normal for these cold blooded beast?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Mine does the same.. when running in low 40*F (less than 10*C)

On cold days, it will heat up properly but as soon as it goes too fast, the temp goes back down.

I've used thick paper to cover 3/4 of the radiator (between the radiator and it's protector) and kept it in place with 2 paper clips. It runs great since :)

I've seen a couple peoples doing it here ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Yep, it's normal. Mine runs like crap unless I cover it up.

I just use a cereal box and jammed it in there. You can decide which flavour of cereal to use, or if you prefer to have pancakes in the morning, stuff that cardboard package in there. Just change it once and awhile, cause it gets dirty and hard to take back out. If you can't tell, I'm a fan of breakfast :)

I'd advice against bacon packages though, as the plastic will melt :(

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Royson said:
I'd advice against bacon packages though, as the plastic will melt :(
.. or it will make every dog chase you ;D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the same issue. The mechanics at my work tell me they're all the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 05 with 4400 miles, and it does the same also. ;D She's cranky until she warms up! My older 500's have done the same thing, so I wasn't too worried about it.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Mine was the same until I did the 2.5 turns air mixture adjustment - search around a bit, you'll find plenty on it. I used to need full choke for at least 10 minutes, even in the hottest of weather, until I did this...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Administrator said:
Mine was the same until I did the 2.5 turns air mixture adjustment - search around a bit, you'll find plenty on it. I used to need full choke for at least 10 minutes, even in the hottest of weather, until I did this...
The answer to the ? was stated right here. The bikes are set to run a little lean in the lower rpm's so they can pass emissions without a problem. They are set from the factory like this. Search under the word pilot jets and you will find instructions on how to remove the carbs and adjust the pilots to cure this problem. Hope this helps ya out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My '06,1300 miles starts w/out choke and runs great.
Do have a problem with low temp though. Until I placed a strip of 3" cardboard (duct tape covered) between radiator/grille. Slides in nicely from the left side-leave about 1" extra to pull out if ever necessary.
Warmer engine w/no stumbling.
See my previous post "Engine Temperature" and associated replies.
Alan

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I had the same problem last year. I opened up the pilots to 2.5 but then chickened out and only opened them up an extra quarter turn, it did the trick. I also found out the they weren't open the same amount. Gonna check the weather and may start riding to work again this week. That Nor'easter was quite depressing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts