Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the name of this suggests, when I start my bike it idles on choke for a while to warm it up a bit. When on choke if I rev it, it revs up a lot faster and just all around seems to run better o guess. Runs fine off choke, but not as much. Something I should do? I’m skeptical of doing a bunch of mods cause I don’t want to mess anything up. Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
The bike should need a little choke to start and idle smoothly. However, when the engine has warmed up it should definitely run much better without choke. If you need choke when the engine is warm, or if the bike runs better on choke when the engine is warm, then you are running a lean fuel condition. Likely that your pilot jet could be partially clogged, or your AF screw setting is not right. A good carb cleaning may be in your future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike should need a little choke to start and idle smoothly. However, when the engine has warmed up it should definitely run much better without choke. If you need choke when the engine is warm, or if the bike runs better on choke when the engine is warm, then you are running a lean fuel condition. Likely that your pilot jet could be partially clogged, or your AF screw setting is not right. A good carb cleaning may be in your future.
Is it dangerous to run lean? It doesn’t run hot at all, actually runs pretty cold based on my temp gauge. I’ve never tried to run it on choke when it’s warm. Basically I use it for cold starts and to get it warmed up, so maybe 3-5 minutes on choke before I go. I’ll get to it soon though

·
Registered
597 Posts
Is it dangerous to run lean? It doesn’t run hot at all, actually runs pretty cold based on my temp gauge. I’ve never tried to run it on choke when it’s warm. Basically I use it for cold starts and to get it warmed up, so maybe 3-5 minutes on choke before I go. I’ll get to it soon though
It's good that you are not running on choke, as it is purely designed as a cold-start aid.

Couple of questions:

1) Does it run better if you pull the choke out when fully warmed up. It shouldn't.

2) When the engine is warm and the choke is in, what do the revs do when you quickly blip the throttle from idle (bike in neutral). (a) Rise quickly and fall slowly? (b) Engine initially bogs then stabilizes? (c) Revs rise quickly and then fall quickly? (c) is what you want. (b) Bogging is rich. (a) 'hanging' revs is a lean condition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's good that you are not running on choke, as it is purely designed as a cold-start aid.

Couple of questions:

1) Does it run better if you pull the choke out when fully warmed up. It shouldn't.

2) When the engine is warm and the choke is in, what do the revs do when you quickly blip the throttle from idle (bike in neutral). (a) Rise quickly and fall slowly? (b) Engine initially bogs then stabilizes? (c) Revs rise quickly and then fall quickly? (c) is what you want. (b) Bogging is rich. (a) 'hanging' revs is a lean condition.
Ok I’m probably just dumb. I fully warmed it up and I can’t even run it on choke. Like it’ll idle but if I fully engage the choke it dies. Also the transmission has been kinda weird like I’ll need to let the clutch grab a bit to put it into neutral when it’s warm. Downshifting from second to first is a little harder as well, but it depends if I’m moving vs stoped. That’s probably normal

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
Google the phrase "Kawasaki Positive Neutral Finder"

·
Registered
597 Posts
Source of my problems?
Shifting from 2nd to 1st at a standstill will be a 2 phase operation. The Kawi Positive Neutral Finder will not let you shift all the way to 1st, it puts you in Neutral first. This is to stop new riders doing the 2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1.... gear shift dance when trying to find Neutral.

If your gears are shifting smoothly and correctly when riding on the road I would not worry about anything....

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
102 Posts
If you are running cold, it would also make sense that it would not be as responsive. Idle warming up is a lot different than running down the road and at normal operating temp. Just to throw a few cents into the conversation :)

Edit: if you are riding it down the road and it is still cold, might be time for a thermostat and cooling system maintenance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shifting from 2nd to 1st at a standstill will be a 2 phase operation. The Kawi Positive Neutral Finder will not let you shift all the way to 1st, it puts you in Neutral first. This is to stop new riders doing the 2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1.... gear shift dance when trying to find Neutral.

If your gears are shifting smoothly and correctly when riding on the road I would not worry about anything....
Every gear shifts smoothly, while riding for the most part. When it warms up though it has difficulty downshifting from second to first sometimes. Normally after a long ride. When it’s cold it doesn’t seem to have any issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a vacuum leak from leaving the petcock vacuum line off and it would only start on full choke and wouldn’t stay running all that well without it idk if that helps but maybe check that both the hoses on the intake boots are connected properly or capped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts