Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've read a few threads on this issue. Thought I'd start a fresh one. Bike ran great but one day I ran out if gas. Now even when it's full, it will act like it's out and die as I'm riding. Will stay idling fine but when I give it gas, it acts starved and will die. I can wait a while and it starts up again and drives me home. Just to do it again the next day.

·
Registered
19,393 Posts
If you read a few threads around here, you read about a tank vent plugged in the cap right?
fog

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi. I've read a few threads on this issue. Thought I'd start a fresh one. Bike ran great but one day I ran out if gas. Now even when it's full, it will act like it's out and die as I'm riding. Will stay idling fine but when I give it gas, it acts starved and will die. I can wait a while and it starts up again and drives me home. Just to do it again the next day.
I'm sure FOG is correct with the plugged tank vent. If you have an inline fuel filter then that will do it too. I guess another option might be a pinhole in the line that would cause vacuum problems (should see or smell that problem).

The petcock operates by a rubber diaphragm that opens when vacuum from the motor opens it to let fuel through. If the pressure in the tank or vacuum in the line isn't correct, fuel feed won't be correct and the bike will run out of gas until it has time to catch up (like letting it sit).

Check tank vent, petcock diaphragm, fuel line

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've been having this issue as well. Turns out my issue was a pinched fuel line. Definitely check that too if all the other stuff is fine.

Every once in awhile when I would get up to 80 and hold it, it would act like it's fuel starved. It would ultimately shut off once I pulled over. I'd let it sit for a second, the pop it back over. Had to keep it around 60 in order to get to where I'm going.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I've been having this issue as well. Turns out my issue was a pinched fuel line. Definitely check that too if all the other stuff is fine.

Every once in awhile when I would get up to 80 and hold it, it would act like it's fuel starved. It would ultimately shut off once I pulled over. I'd let it sit for a second, the pop it back over. Had to keep it around 60 in order to get to where I'm going.
Inline fuel filter acted the same way. Gotta make sure it's a straight shot from tank to carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts