Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the general discussion about how some jackasses pushed my bike out of my parking spot at school and tipped it over in some mud. Parking is tight at my school, but I didn't think it was that tight.

Anyway, my bike was tipped on its right side for no fewer than 6 hours, possibly 36. It's only firing on one cylinder, and white smoke comes out of the exhaust. The general discussion thread mentioned oil in the cylinder. Might it have been a two way trade, with both oil in the cylinder, and gas in the oil? What about oil in the carbs?

I don't have my Clymers manual here at school with me. All I have experience doing to this point is oil changes (which blows, because my oil and filter are less than 200 miles old at this point). Would an oil change be enough to fix this until I can get back home in 3 weeks, or does a bike face bigger problems after being tipped over for hours on end?

·
Registered
169 Posts
first off, my bike and I feel for you, people are always leaving sh*t on her at the uni, no damn respect for a well maintained machine :mad:

Anyway, you're problem can conceivably come from two fluid reservoirs, since it sounds like she had a soft landing and the mechanical bits escaped damage. You've got the fuel sitting in the float bowls, and the oil sitting in the crankcase. I agree with the others that some good info could be gained from the spark plugs. It is possible that gas and oil changed places, but I do not think oil could get to the carbs.

If fluids did change places, an oil change will be necessary. It's $30 for some peace of mind. The bike will run with gas-flavored oil, but I've done it, and don't recommend it; if gas belonged in engine oil, they'd do it that way. Any fluids in between the piston and the head should have gotten taken care of rather quickly.

this is my advice until the forum juggernauts pitch in

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and started it up today to check on it. The RPMs and sound are more normal now. It seems to be firing on both cylinders again. Its raining, and I dont have anywhere dry to take it here at school, so the oil change and spark check will have to wait until tomorrow.

It still makes some white smoke, but it doesnt smell like gas. I don't know what it smells like compared to normal exhaust, because I don't spend a lot of time getting high on exhaust when the bike works fine. If it's just oil burning off, should I just let it do so, then check the plugs, or open her up and get the oil out somehow?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Do the oil change yourself for $12 including the filter.

Get the Shell Rotella T 15W40 (gallon jug) & ST7317 oil filter... at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty, I'm about to walk over to walmart for oil and a filter, but I have a question

I think I once read FOG say that a cold oil change is a waste of an oil change. If it's bad/dangerous to start my engine with gas in the oil, do I just have to do a cold oil change and live with it, or can I start her up and let her run to warm her up for a few minutes without breaking anything?

I'll check back here when I get back from walmart.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I never said that, but I'd rather it be hot. If you have gas in the oil, it's much better to change it cold than to run it with gas in the oil.

FOG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, must have been some other experienced, wise person on another forum I frequent.

I just changed the oil cold, put too much in, but that's a topic for another thread...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I always run my engines for a while to get them hot. It mixes up all the impurities so when you drain it most of the bad stuff comes out. or so my shop teacher told me 4 years ago.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Well somthing like that, mostly the thinner oil comes out more completly and quicker.

FOG

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I feel bad about your bike's abuse! As FOG said, it is better to change oil cold than to run it with gas in the oil!

I worked at Temple U. for about fifteen years and observed that the student's bikes were getting pushed over (mostly by young kids on the way home from school.) When I rode my bike to Philly, I parked it next to the police station, where it could be seen by the cops, twenty-four-seven. I also noticed that the students started chaining their bikes real tight to a tree or bikestand, so they couldn't be tipped over.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
that sucks about the bike being dumped over like that , I think I would sugest a cable lock , or disk brake lock , and eve consider a bike alarm , or find a better place to park it.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I never said it but after a bike has been laid down one of the best things to do first is Nothing. Just stand it back up and let all the fluids return to there normal locations before a attempt to start it. at leas 10 min , better several hours.

FOG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts