Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made this post about difficulty starting my 05 ex 500

and was told the pilot circuit in my carb was probably the issue.

I've since taken it apart twice and cleaned it using carb cleaner and my air compressor.

I think my pilot circuit is totally clear. When shooting air into each carbs on the intake side into the entry to the pilot circuit) I can feel air coming out pilot jet and tiny hole on the exit side of the carb that is visible under the mixture screw. I took the carbs completely apart and can see light traveling through all the circuits. I feel it should be clean enough to work properly.

The bike will still not start using the starter(when cold). It back fires occasionally, but wont start. I then try to push start it and it works first try and runs great and idles fine. If I let it idle for a few minutes and try to start it with the starter immediately after shutting it off and it wont start again. If I ride hard for it for 20 minutes or longer, then it will start with the starter while its still very warm.

The bike does have a exhaust leaks in each muffler and when I recently changed the head gasket I did not replace the header gaskets, but don't think its leaking there. I was also concerned that I may have the timing off by a tooth, but it sounds and runs like I recall before the head gasket job and I turned the motor over multiple times and the timing marks all seemed correct. I was also having this starting issues before doing the head gasket.

Any ideas why it would be behaving this way?

·
Registered
687 Posts
hi. to me it seems like a spark issue. how is your battery have you done a drop test on it. could also be a lazy starter.
from what you have wrote and without going too deep. these bikes can have a issue on cold starting. it takes a fair amount of power to wake them up. if the battery is low or the starter uses more power to turn it the voltage drops too low to fire the CDI into producing a spark. this happens around the 11v mark.
so if the battery is low it wont start cold after running when it's hot it is easier for the starter to spin the engine so uses less power and it goes. dont worry too much about the backfire they all do that the bike uses a lost spark system that is it fires everytime the piston is at the top of the stroke. unburned fuel in the cylinder ignites on the exhaust stroke and flames down the pipe. try the battery power first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Yorkie.

I will get the battery fully charged today and also hook it up with jumper cables to the car battery for an extra kick and see if that does it.

I know im getting spark while it cranks. I've taken the old plugs and left the new ones in so it has compression and can see good spark generated from both plugs while cranking.

Battery isnt too old, but is a cheaper walmart battery. Brand new it would only charge full to 13.7v and now gets to ~13.3v.

I'll post results this evening.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The battery voltage when cranking is critical. You shouldn't drop below 10v whilst cranking.

The car battery will definitely test if cranking power is an issue from a cold start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My bike would not start with duff battery and jump leads from car.
As soon as I fitted a brand new battery it started up.

I'm not 100% sure this is your issue but you need to rule out the battery before doing anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate everyones help and suggestions.

I went to start it cold (cold engine, roughly 75 F outside) as soon as I removed the trickle charger. Voltage was at 13.3v.

I as I hit the starter, it immediately dropped to about 11.2v. Then after about 15 secs of cranking, the voltage was down to 10.8 v. Voltage quickly came back up to 12.6v after I stopped cranking.

I was gonna get the jumper cables out and use the car, but just wanted to get out and ride so I push started it and cruised around for about 2 hours. I got home and checked voltage while running, it was 14.2v. I turned off bike and it quickly went to 12.6v. I hit the started and it fired right up, dropping down immediately to 11.1v as it was cranking.

It seems to be like it is cranking as it should and not getting weaker, unless its like the 20th time I have tried to crank for 15 secs. I'll test it out with the car and jumper cables tomorrow when its cold again.

I don't really wanna buy a new battery if this one is still good, I suppose an auto store might be able to test it and let me know how its doing, I know they do it for car batteries.

Do my voltages seem in spec to you guys?

If it is not the battery, it there anything else you think it could be?

·
Registered
687 Posts
stab in the dark what sort of battery is it !! lead acid. fillable or sealed for life. have you checked the electrolyte levels could have a dry cell. I had similar issue the battery was sealed for life but i took the lid off anyway 2 cells were low one almost dry once filled with de-ionised water and a good charge it it was a good as new. just a thought the battery voltages seem a bit low while cranking but it recovers pretty well and doesn't die after a few attempts but if the voltage is low while cranking it will not start.
got a vid somewhere of mine once the battery was sorted I'll post it if I can find it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the Walmart Everstart power sport ES14LA2. It's the type that comes this the acid in a separate container and you charge it after filling. It had the same battery twice before and they each lasted atleast 2 years. It's only a few months old and has only been drained low once which was a few days ago at a gas station when I thought it would start and I tried to start it for a long time, then discovered it push starts easily.

I had the battery removed last week and saw all the cells were at the upper level of the fluid mark, but I can check again since it has dripped out some acid after working hard to get to start the bike.

I'll try starting it with jumper cables from the car too today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOLVED!

When hooked up with jumper cables to the car battery, it starts up within 3 cranks. I take it off the car battery and try to start it and it just keeps cranking without starting. Hook the car battery up again and it fires right up.

I guess my battery is just barely not strong enough to start a cold engine. Bummer cause its only a few months old and I have treated it very well... Time to do some research and find a better battery.

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run a duralast AGM ("gold" I think) because that's what was in there when I got the bike, starts great every time and I've never had an issue (except the time I accidentally left the key in and drained it overnight in my garage... 😶). Pretty sure they can be had for under $100 at your local autozone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts