Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I'm new to the forums. I recently bought an 06 500r with 9800 miles. The PO sat the bike for a year so I had the carbs redone completely at my local shop and it ran like new. 23 miles later I take her for a ride and after she warmed up I took the choke off and after coming to a stop I noticed I couldnt get the bike to go more than 5 miles an hour. I babied her home she jerked a bit of the way as well. I get no acceleration when I play with the throttle. the bike at a stop sounds fine and revs fine doesnt die but when put in gear and give her gas she struggles bad. any ideas?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Someone on here will soon tell you EXACTLY what's wrong! They know these bikes inside and out. (I'm still learning!)

·
Registered
806 Posts
First thing's first.

Is the throttle cable connected to the throttle plates on the carburetor? Is the cable in good condition?

Does the clutch cable work properly? Does the lever on the clutch cover return to its engaged position?

Next step when this is done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked throttle cable looks great. Clutch seems fine too. Been raining here in cali so I could only do 1 circle in my parking lot this morning but seemed to run fine circling the lot cruising in 1st giving no throttle. couldnt open it up to really see what it would do though will have a chance this weekend once things dry up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was going to take it in this morning but sure enough shops closed til at least apr 19 to this virus bs. Will check a few things and update once its figured out if I can otherwise itll be a month

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
how about offering a collective effort here, members? feel free to jump in but refrain from repetition.....

So, I'll start.....sufficient fuel in tank? Petcock set to ON....or RES (if fuel level low)?

You can further confirm carb bowls are receiving fuel by loosening each 3mm allen key drain.

Shop did R&R on carbs? Vent hose not plugged or kinked?

Battery terminals tight, not floppy loose? Spark plug caps tight, not left loose?

What else was shop enlisted to do? Any electrical stuff or limited to carb only?

So @King flippynips ....your turn...please confirm and respond to my post, checking item by item. Please don't blow any suggestions off via "assuming". Verify and confirm.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You can further confirm carb bowls are receiving fuel by loosening each 3mm allen key drain.

I'll just add to this. Before loosening the allen screws, connect a hose on the bottom nipple of the carbs. Direct the other end of the hose to something to catch the gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything checks off as perfect on the bike. Shop was only to do the carbs and told me everything on the bike was like new. I notice the problem comes and goes as I was playing with the throttle and checking various points when the problem suddenly stopped and I had full throttle. I rode the bike on my block to see if it would return and sure enough it started acting up again just a few minutes later. I'm going to pull the carbs this weekend and see if something in the system reclogged a jet

·
Registered
19,160 Posts
Are the pilot screw un covered?. if not, do so and adjust them (the pilot screws) to 2 1/2 turns out from full closed.
this is done with the carbs in place

FOG

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
After reading through your description, it sounds to me like your issue is the tank is not venting correctly, or, you have a vacuum leak. If it will run normally, and then it won't without any explanation, maybe check the tank vent for operation. If it runs fine, and all of sudden doesn't, pop the fill cap open and see if you get whoosh of air rushing in. That's a sure sign that air is not entering the tank as the fuel level drops.

It it runs, but seemingly won't idle at a normal engine speed and then dies under part throttle....classic symptom of a vacuum leak somewhere. Gotta be fairly major too, as small ones tend to just cause a hunting idle. Or, it is also possible that you have a minor vacuum leak, combined with the tank not venting.

Only things I can come up with.....sean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: finally got the time to tear the carbs apart today and found a slide diaphragm has a pinhole leak from being pinched when placed in incorrectly. Assuming I don't wait for the dealer to reopen would a repair be wise or replace?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts