Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just want to start out by saying I have done everything I can think of and everything suggested by this site. I have cleaned all jets pilot, main I have set floats new plugs fuel line filter in fuel line redone the tank, set pilot screws. The bike runs great Idles great plugs are clean it runs great until you get past 6500 rpm then it cuts out completely. if you hold it wide open it will not die but drop down to 2000 and just sputter. It isn't running rich and is not dumping fuel.I don't think it is a fuel problem. Oh yes petcock works fine too. So am I off my rocker thinking it is an ICC box? I just don't know it runs great starts right up with no problems just can't give it any gas past 6500? By the way very usefull stuff great site for 500's.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Try cleaning the insides of the plug boots. and check to be sure the slides are rising as the engine speeds up.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Sounds like there's not enough fuel coming to the engine or something like this..

If you try to restart it right after it died, does it restart like a charm ? Or it takes a little resting ?

Could it be the fuel filter restricts the gas flow ?

Check the above too ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Cap vent is fine I cleaned the boots, slides are working fine. Spark is good. The engine will never die out completely if start it and open it up all the way it will act like I hit the kill switch and drop to 2000 and just sputter like it is running out of fuel. But if i let it go back to idle it goes right back to running perfect top 6500. After I posted my first message I went back checked float height and jets one last time perfect nothing there. I am going to try to squirt some extra fuel in the carbs at full throttle to night just to see if I can get it to rev.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Is you carb vent tube open, If you even have a vent tube on there remove it. The float bowls must be open to atmospheric pressure.

FOG

·
Registered
78 Posts
The answer to this question.......since it was never posted.........is to put your airbox back in..........it took me 2 hours to figure out why it was running lean and not reving up to high....too much air

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
to me it sounds like a problem with your ignition or coil pack ,have you gone though the wires to make sure they are good ,nick or slight break ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah dude, its somethin with your carbs. does it smell like you are runnin rich or lean when you are idling?

·
Registered
15 Posts
N00b here...having the same problem except my bike seems to die after 7000rpms. Any suggestions? It has a Muzzy exhaust and K&N filter.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Can you tighten the cam chain tensioner enough on the EX to kill the top end? On some older bikes (actually this one is kind of old too) it could happen but I've never tried this on the EX. Probably a long shot since it's behaving like a carb problem (dropping back to a lower RPM and sputtering) but if you've tried everything else then look at the tensioner if it just won't go past 7000 and everything else is working OK.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I haven't read that you confirmed the carb vent was open.

FOG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts