Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my bike to start and I am having trouble. This bike has been sitting for a long time and I am trying to get it back up and running. So far I have flushed the coolant, changed to oil, installed a refurbished carb, Cleaned the Gas tank and installed new petcock and battery. Now I am trying to get the bike to start and I isn't working. I checked the spark plugs and they are working just fine. The gas is flowing out of the tank but it is leaking a little bit from the hoses because the hoses are slightly to big for the new petcock. When I spray starter fluid it sputters a bit like it's going to start but it doesn't start. I think it's a gas issue but I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose and fix it. Is there anything I'm missing? What should I try next?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can you take a picture of the new petcock or give a link of what you bought? I bought an aftermarket petcock when I got my bike since the OEM was trashed and it was wrong on many levels, ended up buying a new OEM one to solve the issues. One problem with my aftermarket was the hoses on the bike were larger than the barbs on the petcock.

Also what year is the bike? And did you refurbish the carb yourself or buy it already refurbished from someone like customcarbservices?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you take a picture of the new petcock or give a link of what you bought? I bought an aftermarket petcock when I got my bike since the OEM was trashed and it was wrong on many levels, ended up buying a new OEM one to solve the issues. One problem with my aftermarket was the hoses on the bike were larger than the barbs on the petcock.

Also what year is the bike? And did you refurbish the carb yourself or buy it already refurbished from someone like customcarbservices?
This is the petcock I bought. I couldn't find one that looked closer to the one I took off the bike and the kawasaki dealership near me wanted $100 and a week for shipping. I purchased new vacum and fuel line in a similar size as the old ones but like you said the new petcock seems to be a bit smaller. I got the carb from customcarbservice. The bike is a 2002.

is that big red switch on the right hand bar turned to ON.
Yes. I made sure the petcock is on, turned the key, made sure it's in neutral turn on the switch and I have tried with and without the choke.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thats the exact petcock I bought the first time, do yourself a favor and buy an OEM one. I got mine brand new for like $90 if you look around. Or buy a cheap used OEM one and a rebuild kit. That petcock you bought will not work. You can't even turn the petcock all the way off while the tank is bolted to the bike with that one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check ebay item #164398714442 and ebay item #333621852418 and you have yourself a used OEM petcock with a new rebuild kit for about $50. Or amazon has a brand new OEM one for $90, search part #51023-1389

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check ebay item #164398714442 and ebay item #333621852418 and you have yourself a used OEM petcock with a new rebuild kit for about $50. Or amazon has a brand new OEM one for $90, search part #51023-1389
Thanks for the pointers. I'll get an oem petcock instead but do you think the petcock would prevent the bike from starting if there's still fuel flowing?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the vacuum line that connects to the petcock has a vacuum leak from fitting loosely, it won't pull the right amount of fuel from the tank, as well as make the bike leaner. So yes it is possible the wrong petcock could prevent it from starting. I would also make sure the carb boots are on tight and the clamps are good, mine had a vacuum leak from the boots and 2 new screw clamps fixed my issue.

·
Registered
959 Posts
to eliminate the petcock as possible problem. remove the tank. set up a remote fuel source. and blank off the vacuum port of the left carb by bending the vac pipe in two and putting a tie band on it (I assume the right one is blocked already with the stock rubber cap). anything will do just to get fuel into the carbs a small funnel shoved into feed pipe will do or a large capacity syringe with the end pulled out. pour some fuel in until the carbs are full and try it. it should run if it is going to for a about 3 or 4 mins until it runs out of fuel. at least then you know it starts and runs and the petcock is the issue. if it still doesn't start then it could still be the petcock. but you have have other issues as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the vacuum line that connects to the petcock has a vacuum leak from fitting loosely, it won't pull the right amount of fuel from the tank, as well as make the bike leaner. So yes it is possible the wrong petcock could prevent it from starting. I would also make sure the carb boots are on tight and the clamps are good, mine had a vacuum leak from the boots and 2 new screw clamps fixed my issue.
to eliminate the petcock as possible problem. remove the tank. set up a remote fuel source. and blank off the vacuum port of the left carb by bending the vac pipe in two and putting a tie band on it (I assume the right one is blocked already with the stock rubber cap). anything will do just to get fuel into the carbs a small funnel shoved into feed pipe will do or a large capacity syringe with the end pulled out. pour some fuel in until the carbs are full and try it. it should run if it is going to for a about 3 or 4 mins until it runs out of fuel. at least then you know it starts and runs and the petcock is the issue. if it still doesn't start then it could still be the petcock. but you have have other issues as well.
I installed the new petcock today and it definitely fits the hoses fuel and vacuum line a lot better. Now if I spray some starter fluid It actually starts and will rev up a little bit but it doesn't stay running. How tight is the vacum line supposed to be? The new line is comfortable but it will also come off if I move the tank around too much. I think either that's the problem or something to do with the carb. Does the bike starting/revving mean that it has compression?

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
If there is any question as to loose fit, simply replace the vac hose with new....take the old petcock for a test fit at an auto parts store, get a foot of vac hose that fits snug and tight.
Then try start/run sequence again... now that any vac leak issue is resolved a carb problem would be the next possibility to eliminate.

You posted bike "sitting a long time". Define "long time" into approximate years/months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there is any question as to loose fit, simply replace the vac hose with new....take the old petcock for a test fit at an auto parts store, get a foot of vac hose that fits snug and tight.
Then try start/run sequence again... now that any vac leak issue is resolved a carb problem would be the next possibility to eliminate.

You posted bike "sitting a long time". Define "long time" into approximate years/months.
I went ahead and tried another hose and removed the fuel line and it seems to be flowing a good amount. I don't know how long the previous owner left it without starting but I would say it was sitting for 1-2 years.

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
suffice to say, carbs will need attention if starting is not accomplished. Undeniable that ethanol fuels breakdown, create varnish in dormant conditions with the inevitable starting/running consequences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
suffice to say, carbs will need attention if starting is not accomplished. Undeniable that ethanol fuels breakdown, create varnish in dormant conditions with the inevitable starting/running consequences.
I bought one of your refurbished carbs and installed it. If I'm not mistaken the fuel goes to the lower middle line on the carb and the top is a vent. Then the vacuum line on the left is for the tank and the right is for the pair system.

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
correct as written, leave the vent open, use choke, give a couple of short start attempts allowing bowls to fill while avoiding killing the battery.

Which number you buy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
correct as written, leave the vent open, use choke, give a couple of short start attempts allowing bowls to fill while avoiding killing the battery.

Which number you buy?
I got #80. Before I the petcock figured out when I tried to start it it would just crank now it sometimes sounds like it wants to start and now if I use starter fluid it will start and rev but won't stay on.

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
how many miles on it? Has it run under your ownership at all? 100% fresh fuel? The all important valve clearances ever confirmed? Using full choke/ closed throttle in start attempts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how many miles on it? Has it run under your ownership at all? 100% fresh fuel? The all important valve clearances ever confirmed? Using full choke/ closed throttle in start attempts?
It has 60 something thousand. It hasn't run since I've owned it. I did have the choke on and throttle closed but I have also tried without the choke. It was neglected for a while so I doubt the valve clearances have been checked.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would try using a remote tank with fresh clean fuel directly to the carb if at all possible, that would at least determine if the issue was on one side of the carb or the other (or possibly both). If it starts and runs with the remote tank then you can start looking at the tank, petcock, etc.

If it still doesn't run then make sure the filter in the fuel rail is clear, check the valve clearances, and report back.

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
It has 60 something thousand. It hasn't run since I've owned it. I did have the choke on and throttle closed but I have also tried without the choke. It was neglected for a while so I doubt the valve clearances have been checked.
60 thou certainly getting up there. How many miles SINCE the last valve clearance check, any way to know for sure? If neglected long term, exhaust valves are known to reduce clearance right down to 0. Hard starting a well known, obvious byproduct. MUST check the valves!
The cleanest carbs in the world can not compensate for insufficient valve clearances or other engine tuning deficiencies. On #80 refurb nothing preventing anything less fine running, once other issues are sorted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts