Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,489 Posts
Have you tried starting it both with and without using the choke?
Is the kill switch in the run position?

Time of purchase questions:
he had the bike started already
It was literally already idling when you first saw it, and you never saw it cranked up even from a warmed-up state?

he went though all the different gears and they sounded good
How did he go through the gears?
(He was riding the bike?, The bike was on the center stand with the rear wheel spinning?)

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I'm afraid this is a classic case of "buyer beware" you go to buy a bike the owner has it already running WHY, probably because it's difficult to start and he doesn't want you to know it is.
you have no idea what he had to do to get it running push it round the block 4 times, tow it off behind a car, use starter fluid, or jump leads of something with a bigger battery.

or, the alternative is you are not using the correct starting procedure as @bpe suggests, try using the choke or buy a can of starter fluid see if it starts with squirt of that. if no joy and your not capable of finding out why it won't start you need a good mechanic perhaps a Canadian member could help.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I will comment. Kitchener On.
Very first thing is, have you contacted the seller? You have paid tax, transfered ownership and have insurance. How did you find this? Kijiji? Negative feedback won't start the bike but the seller should come clean first. How did you pay and how long ago? My guess is the money is gone?
Several questions by @bpe need answering, did you ride this is one?
If it was running and you rode it, it is more likely a electrical problem.
The original owner knows what is involved in starting, he owes you that info.
This is the wrong time of year to look for a mechanic. Your bike could be sitting for a month, with insurance and plates , not a rosey outlook.
The only reputable dealer I know is in Delhi - McKee sports.
Post more info and please ask your seller, provided he is talking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried starting it both with and without using the choke?
Is the kill switch in the run position?

Time of purchase questions:

It was literally already idling when you first saw it, and you never saw it cranked up even from a warmed-up state?

How did he go through the gears?
(He was riding the bike?, The bike was on the center stand with the rear wheel spinning?)
I tried with the chock at different positions. It cranks but never starts.
Kill switch is on the run position. I tried switching between different peacock position too. A neighbor who's been riding for many decades tried to start the bike too with no luck, and he even tried to use a starter fluid, but wasn't sure if he was able to get to the air box.

The bike was on the center stand when he went though the different gears.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I tried with the chock at different positions. It cranks but never starts.
Kill switch is on the run position. I tried switching between different peacock position too. A neighbor who's been riding for many decades tried to start the bike too with no luck, and he even tried to use a starter fluid, but wasn't sure if he was able to get to the air box.

The bike was on the center stand when he went though the different gears.
I gather you saw my post?
I am a retired master electrician that has helped hundreds world wide. Mainly the Versys 650 , which is far more complicated. Fuel, spark and cranking = run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will comment. Kitchener On.
Very first thing is, have you contacted the seller? You have paid tax, transfered ownership and have insurance. How did you find this? Kijiji? Negative feedback won't start the bike but the seller should come clean first. How did you pay and how long ago? My guess is the money is gone?
Several questions by @bpe need answering, did you ride this is one?
If it was running and you rode it, it is more likely a electrical problem.
The original owner knows what is involved in starting, he owes you that info.
This is the wrong time of year to look for a mechanic. Your bike could be sitting for a month, with insurance and plates , not a rosey outlook.
The only reputable dealer I know is in Delhi - McKee sports.
Post more info and please ask your seller, provided he is talking.
I contracted the seller, he said to try different chock positions. I have not yet transferred ownership, getting my M2 in 2 weeks, Service Ontario told me to wait after I get my M2. I got the bike 3 weeks ago, paid in cash. I have never been able to ride it, it never started for me. The seller is in Guelph (100km away from Toronto). We went one weekend to check out the bike, and came back the next weekend to transport it back. Both times he had the bike running. I am super new to bikes, so it didn't cross my mind that was a red flag.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,489 Posts
Just to start with some easy stuff, you should check to see if the air filter is clean and unclogged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts