Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal, fellas...

A couple of weeks ago I went out with some friends to hit the best local set of twisties. Two GSXR 600s, a GSXR 750, an RC51, and an R6, and little me on my EX. What I realized was this-- taking hairpin turns at 80 mph per hour doesn't really excite me. It scares the bejeezus out of me. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with my skill level (I've only been riding for a few months), but I'm starting to think that I'm more of a take-it-nice-and-leisurely-and-enjoy-the-scenery kind of guy, instead of a real sportrider. I enjoy riding a lot, but the superfast cornering and leaning the bike waaaaaaay over just terrifies me.

I fell in love with the lines and design of the new GSXRs, but I don't know that that kind of riding will ever be my cup of tea. Thinking about switching over to a standard like the Honda 599 or the SV650 for my next bike. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've only been riding for a little over a year so I'm no expert on the subject - but I feel much more confident now than I did with a few months experience. So give it time and don't feel like you have to keep up with your buddies.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
If you push over your limits, you will become a dead rider.. which to so totally un-cool ;)

Ride at your own pace, if your riding buddies complain about that, well too bad, don't irde with them.

Oh, I've been riding for 2 years, the first half was on a 500R, then I had to sell it (wasn't able to afford it anymore..) then I came back to the sport a couple of years later, I bought an EX500 which is the greatest cheap/light/nimble combinaison I've found. And many are not able to use all it's potential even after 5 years..

Basic is : Take your time and learn at your pace. Don't harm yourself only because your 'buddies' like to risk their lives..

·
Registered
267 Posts
dwengi said:
So give it time and don't feel like you have to keep up with your buddies.
I had a friend die that way. If you're riding with guys outside of your comfort level, there's no need to keep up with them. Good riders will map out meeting points along the way so no one gets left behind.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't try to "Keep up with the Jones'.". Ride for your OWN enjoyment. Your own style of riding, and own stile of bike. It's not a competition.

At least for the "non-professionals", like us. ;)

The SV650 is a kick-a$$ bike. Especially the "sport" version. Totally underrated. I just had this discussion with my insurance agent. They won't even insure that bike in some cases, or it's big brother. "It's MONSTER fast.", he says.

F

·
0 Posts
Hey man your story sounds almost exactly like me two saturdays ago. Except my buddies were all on gsxr750's.....and I crashed. Don't push yourself, just ride your ride man.

·
Registered
348 Posts
ah i love leaning into the turns. But they still tend to scare me when I'm entering at a high speed..
500 riders seem to be more of the "oh! look thats a pretty flower!" type of rider, rather than the aggressive types (its in my nature). I wouldn't buy a super sport unless you're going to ride it hard. Stick with twins. The SV650 is a good option.

C

·
0 Posts
The beauty of sticking with the 500 is that if you feel like taking it easy, none of the 600SS fire-pissers can say anything when you don't "measure up."

BUT, on those days when you're feeling confidently frisky and feel like having a little fun with the gargantuan egos on R1's on a silly-string road, this bike has more than enough squirt and cornering clearance to schoo' some foo's.

Either that, or you can just quit hanging out with the rolling version of a prison-exercise-yard on public roads...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts