Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread about the biker wave on another forum, and somewhere from some link I read about a signal to warn passing bikers of cops ahead. Supposedly the signal is a motion of patting yourself on the head, or helmet. Has anyone heard of this before? Are there signals bikers give each other to inform other bikers? It would be nice if there were signals for things like unusual traffic or accidents, severe road conditions like a landslide, or anything crazy and unexpected. (I know... expect the unexpected)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have never heard of that but maybe that's why a fellow biker was patting the top of his helmet while riding in the other direction!?!? I had no idea what his motioning was implying. ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've heard of that, but I've never actually seen it. A few times when I wave to a biker he makes a downward motion with his hand (meaning "slow down"), and whenever that happens, there is a cop nearby.

I've heard that it's illegal to signal that there are police nearby to other drivers/riders, although I don't see how this can be enforced. Trying to prove what a certian signal means is like debating slang -- the last time my riding buddy patted the top of the helmet, he was making fun of some bare-headed guys on cruisers...

-jcs

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think the MSF booklet had a page with had signals listed. I think the patting the head one was something with the headlights, I know for sure it wasn't for cops. A google search should turn up a page with the signals.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I know at least here in the part of California I'm in that is the signal for law enforcement. I've seen other riders give it to me (rarely) and i have given it to other riders. I doubt everyone around here knows it, but hopefully the people I gave it to figured it out and slowed down before getting a ticket.

The irony of the slow down hand gesture is if you are going fast enough to need to be given the signal, you prob. missed getting the signal.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah ive heard thats the signal for cops too... sorta like flashing your lights in your car.

I've heard that it's illegal to signal that there are police nearby to other drivers/riders, although I don't see how this can be enforced.
yeah ive heard that too... i think the first amendment would protect that though... its not like yelling fire in a crowded theater.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pat on the helmet or finger pointing toward the helmet is widely used in my area.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jrocket: yeah, last time someone gave me that signal the officer was following him. He's not going to bust a U turn to write us a ticket for 5 to 10 over, and if we were going fast enough that he would, the signal probablly wouldn't help.

One of these days I will have to give a cager the "hang up and drive" signal: make a phone with your thumb and pinky finker, hod it to your ear, then hang it up.

dragknee: A friend of mine got a ticket for flashing his lights at oncoming traffic (in that case, to warn someone that their brights are on, although it's also a signal that there are police nearby). Cop gave him some "safety hazard, flashing lights distracts drivers..." explanation. (he was in a car, btw)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah ohio's book of traffic laws is about 4 inches thick, im sure they could find SOMETHING to write you up for, but if you really had the money, time and resources, you could probably beat it.

there was a guy here who honked his horn at a cop, and the cop wrote him a ticket for "excessive use of horn" lol. but he took it to court and won, as one honk can hardly be called excessive.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've heard of it.. and used it a couple of times. Along with opening (fingers spread) and closing your fist to sign "check your blinker". I've never had anyone understand, so I've pretty much given up on it around here.. now I just wave and let it go at that.

oh.. and the arm out, palm down, move arm up & down for "slow down", kinda universal though, everyone gets that one. Only used when hazzard ahead.

·
Registered
216 Posts
dragknee said:
yeah ohio's book of traffic laws is about 4 inches thick, im sure they could find SOMETHING to write you up for, but if you really had the money, time and resources, you could probably beat it.

there was a guy here who honked his horn at a cop, and the cop wrote him a ticket for "excessive use of horn" lol. but he took it to court and won, as one honk can hardly be called excessive.
I would tell the judge I was just giving the signal to steal second base.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was riding the other day when I saw a bunch of Harley's traveling toward me. One of them stuck his finger in the air (can you guess which one??) and started waving it in big circles over his head. I thought he was just being *friendly* to his fellow rider (me), but then I popped over a hill and saw a cop sitting there. So, I guess waving in giant circles over your head while flicking the world off means "Bacon and Donuts Ahead!" :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
omninate said:
I was riding the other day when I saw a bunch of Harley's traveling toward me. One of them stuck his finger in the air (can you guess which one??) and started waving it in big circles over his head. I thought he was just being *friendly* to his fellow rider (me), but then I popped over a hill and saw a cop sitting there. So, I guess waving in giant circles over your head while flicking the world off means "Bacon and Donuts Ahead!" :D
Lol, I can guarantee you I would not have understood this one :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
omninate said:
;D

the most ive seen on a so cal freeway is pointing downward with the left arm at a 45 degree angle while switching lanes. seems like the equivalent of "I'm coming over to this lane." come to think of it, I don't think i've seen anyone do that going into the right lane...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah that's all I've seen here, just left signals. It was definately more eye catching than the blinkers. I've thought about doing it, but it's better here to make your lane changes as quickly and without warning as possible, too many assholes around here will block you if they sense you want to move over.

·
Registered
722 Posts
omninate said:
it's the spinning lights signal(you know like the red and blues). seen it and used it before.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts