Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hears the deal.
The tank initially was reallt dirty and rusty. That has been fixed and cleaned. Clean gas is going to the carbs.
Carbs are clean like really clean. Pilots are clean I can put a very tiny wire through the hole. Main jet is clean. Diaphram (sp) is good. Floats seem fine 17mm.
Now when I try to start it it seems to flood really quickly along with a big exhaust backfire ( bang wake up the whole area) :eek:. Take out the plugs and they are soaked.
Now when I have cranked it ( starter ) it did a couple of times seem like the starter skipped.
Now has this thrown off the timing of the engine??? Is the timing out or is that impossible.
Hmmm what else.
The petcock is there any thing I should look at ??? It seems to be functioning.
Help needed
Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I doubt that the timing has been thrown off. Since it's flooding real quick I'd check the petcock to see if the diaphrams are ok - mine rotted due to age and flooded the engine too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my bike. My tank was also REALLY dirty. Spent 2 weeks trying to diagnose the problem, clean, rebuild, and retune everything and I finally decided to sell it yesterday. I only get 2 days out of the whole week to do anything with the bike, and I'm spending that time wrenching.

Sounds like your floats are still allowing too much fuel into the bowls till they overflow.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
The only way the gas needed to "flood " the engine can get there, is thorough the fuel line from the tank, and the flow of that fuel is regulated by a valve, controlled by a float, when there is sufficient fuel in the bowl the float rises and stops the flow.
If your flooding, figure it out.

FOG

·
Registered
64 Posts
FOG said:
The only way the gas needed to "flood " the engine can get there, is thorough the fuel line from the tank, and the flow of that fuel is regulated by a valve, controlled by a float, when there is sufficient fuel in the bowl the float rises and stops the flow.
If your flooding, figure it out.

FOG
Exactly. Pull the carb out. Attach a fuel line to it and feed that fuel line while holding the floats up. Make sure it doesn't allow any fuel through.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem. It was in the petcock, I mistakenly put the vacuum diapham on wrong Facing backwards instead of forward facing.
Engine ran rough for a while then started to smooth out and it runs very well.
Also with the extra effort to clean the tank Im now getting good clean gas when I drain the float bowls to monitor.
Thanks everyone and you to fog ( Mr direct and blunt ) ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Glad to see your bike is back in good shape :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Friend of mine took the bike out and he said it ran really nice.
A little more detailing and time for me to get my licence and away we go.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
it looks in pretty good shape. that's how my project was looking like before I started 'working' on it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
that bike looks gorgeous!!! its what my '90 started life looking like. unfortunately it looks nothing like that now. any chance you could email me some more pictures? i'd really appreciate it!

Mike
ERAU944 at Hotmail dot com

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts