Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if that is the correct name but I have oil coming through the blow-by recovery (rubber hose from bottom front of air box) and onto my air filter. Than the oil is sucked into the engine and the engine flooded. Right now I have the head pulled off and the oil pan pulled off, what could be causing this problem?

Thank you for reading
Please reply

Krayzie!

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
It's not a problem, It's doing what it's supposed to do. The oil is coming from your crancase because: it's over full, you have water in the crancase, you have fuel in the crancase, you have a stuck piston ring causing blow by.

FOG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would this make it hard to shift (If I had too much oil), when I was riding and the oil was overflowing it was almost impossible to shift gears and I had to shift to neutral with my hand

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
You should drain everything and refill with the right amount of oil.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
When looking at the level of oil. Have the bike levelled. not on the side stand ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious but why in the world would they make something stupid like this...if you have too much oil it shoots it into your air filter...wtf, cant you make a catch can or something

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious but why in the world would they make something stupid like this...if you have too much oil it shoots it into your air filter...wtf, cant you make a catch can or something

·
Registered
267 Posts
krayzielilsmoki said:
No... it's a crankcase recirculation system... it's used for emissions, not as a catch-can for excess oil. When overfilled, the engine dumps out excess through the crankcase re-breather--that's one of the myriad of reasons why you're not supposed to overfill the engine with oil. It's designed to take your crankcase air and recirculate it, not the actual oil itself. It's purpose is to lower emissions by not actually letting your crankcase vent to the atmosphere (like my 360 or my MGB), instead, it goes back through the air box to go through another combustion cycle to burn up excess petroleum in the crankcase air.

·
Registered
267 Posts
krayzielilsmoki said:
so its like the exhaust gas return valve on cars (egr valve)
That is what I've been led to believe as far as purpose is concerned. I guess technically it's not exhaust gases. The system makes sense too if you look how it's plumbed.

And to clarify, my crankcase on that 73 MGB should actually be tied back to the manifold and recirculated as well, but, as you can imagine, coming from the engine, it warms the air hence lowering your power (remember thermodynamics?) so it, the charcoal canister, the airpump, and the rest of the emissions equipment long went bye-bye on that MG.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well I guess Ill put it all back together and see if too much oil was the problem. I replaced the piston rings and the main and head gasket now where could I find information on how to put the chain back on the cams right, I work on cars and all this is not hard to do I just dont want to get the timing wrong

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
I can help you right here. I hope you lapped you head and cylinders flat before you assemble the engine.

OK turn the crank till the #1 cyl is at TDC the right side piston is up. and the C mark on the flywheel lines up with the notch in the inspection port. (thats the small plug in the flywheel cover)

FIt the intake cam first with the chain pulled tight align the IN mark with the cam cover surface facing to the rear. The fit the exhaust cam with the Ex mark also aligned with the cam cover surface then count 24 pins between the marks on the cam chain wheels.

Put a few of the cam bearing caps on and rotate the crank clockwise and recheck

FOG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok let me get this right: turn the crank until the right piston is up as much as possible, there should be a "C" on the flywheel that I need to line up with a notch in the inspection port (flywheel is on the left side of the engine with the starter going to it) than I put on the intake cam and match up the marks and put the chain over it, than do the same with the exhaust cam, when done count the links and spin crank to recheck....am I right?

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
CLose enough, Except you can't put the chain over the cam when they are in place. you hafta roll the cam under the chain untill it seats in the bearings. Then check the marks.

FOG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was working on the bike today and when I tried to spin the crank it wouldn't budge, When I turn the bolt clockwise it would loosen it but when I turn it counterclockwise which is supposed to spin the crank it just feels like it wont move and if I try harder I feel that the bolt would snap right off. Is there a different way to do this or should I snap away

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
it shouldn't take that much effort to turn the motor over. DON'T FORCE IT.
Can you turn the crankshaft backward? Are you sure you have the cam timing correct? Do the lines on BOTH cams line up?

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
The engine rotates clockwise. it will not turn counterclockwise because the cam chain tensioner puts a kink in the cam chain and impedes the rotation. If it won't turn clockwise you have set the valves incorrectlly and a piston is hitting a valve . Force it and you will bend a valve.

FOG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
right now I am trying to spin the crank to get the flywheel mark to line up, once I have that I will do the cams... the oil pan is still off so there is no oil in there (that might be making it harder) and Im pretty sure the chain is not stuck on anything so what else could it be. You also said the engine spins the flywheel clockwise if that is correct than I will have to spin it by holding on to the flywheel because the middle bolt is reverse thread and comes off if turned clockwise

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
You never said the condition of the engine so I assumed it was assembled complete.
If you don't have the cams in the cam chain could be bunched up at the crank.
But I'm still no sure what level the engine is in except the oil pan is off.
There is no point in guessing from here.

FOG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
right now I have everything on except the oil pan and the cam gears. I will be putting the oil pan on after breakfast and than if I can line up the crankshaft I will put the cam gears in. so right now whats off is the valve cover, cam gears, and oil pan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts