Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope all you folks are doing well tonight. My 2006 Ex died (total electrical failure) as I was leaving work earlier tonight. I pushed her a couple of blocks back (all gear all the time, sweaty!) to my dealership and checked the fuses. The Ignition 10 Amp fuse was blown. I put the spare in and it blew as soon as I turned on the key. :mad:

I did a quick search here and PM'd Man_Ray who had a similar problem last month. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them! I plan on checking for frayed wires tomorrow, hopefully thats all it is...

Thanks!

Neal

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man_Ray, glad to hear your EX is back in action! Sounds like the dealer replaced a bunch of parts until it stopped blowing fuses! What a pain on the a$$.

Mine is OK now, just some wires rubbing on a bracket under the tank that wore through the insulation. Easy to find and fix because it was not intermittant, it was a hard failure.

First thing I did was disconnect the + side of the battery, then remove the fuse cover under the seat. I took my ohm meter and checked the wiring side of the Ignition fuse and found it was shorted to ground. I wiggled all the wiring in the front of the bike, disconnected the wiring to the tail lamp section, etc but still shorted. Then I removed the gas tank and sure enough, where the wire harness runs from the steering neck past the gas tank bracket a section had rubbed through. The harness is really tight right there. I removed the tank bracket and ran the harness under it and that took care of the short.

I just got home from work. When the bike cools off I'll tear her back down and cover the harness with some electrical tape to hopefully keep it from happening again any time soon.

I also noticed the harness and plug near the taillamp was rubbing against the tail lamp metal and was almost wore through. I moved it a bit.

Thanks again for the PM.

Neal

·
Registered
14 Posts
commuter said:
Thanks Man_Ray, glad to hear your EX is back in action! Sounds like the dealer replaced a bunch of parts until it stopped blowing fuses! What a pain on the a$$.

Mine is OK now, just some wires rubbing on a bracket under the tank that wore through the insulation. Easy to find and fix because it was not intermittant, it was a hard failure.

First thing I did was disconnect the + side of the battery, then remove the fuse cover under the seat. I took my ohm meter and checked the wiring side of the Ignition fuse and found it was shorted to ground. I wiggled all the wiring in the front of the bike, disconnected the wiring to the tail lamp section, etc but still shorted. Then I removed the gas tank and sure enough, where the wire harness runs from the steering neck past the gas tank bracket a section had rubbed through. The harness is really tight right there. I removed the tank bracket and ran the harness under it and that took care of the short.

I just got home from work. When the bike cools off I'll tear her back down and cover the harness with some electrical tape to hopefully keep it from happening again any time soon.

I also noticed the harness and plug near the taillamp was rubbing against the tail lamp metal and was almost wore through. I moved it a bit.

Thanks again for the PM.

Neal
Well, I'm glad you had the patience and knowledge to do it yourself. I'm going to keep your post just in case something else happens to my EX.

Peace,
Man_Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts