641 - 660 of 690 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #641

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Hey, hey HEY!! You don't have to call ol' Homme a mountain goat!! :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

He could still come back....you know.....I'm sure there are others who might have a BMW ...you know....to start up and EX BMW segment of the forum. :grin2: .....sean
Haha. He knows he's a mountain goat. You should see some of the places that he's ridden that machine. It's been on its side as much as as it has been up right. He has gotten his money's worth when it comes to dual sport riding. He's a lot like me now too as well. Commuting plays a big part of our riding life. And the mileage on his motorcycle? It's up there. LOL. I've told him he could come back and start a substrate for BMW owners. He does miss the Forum, he's just busy quite a bit. But I'll send him your regards.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,971 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,971 Posts

·
Administrator
3,608 Posts
Thanks a lot. Now I'll be hearing that sound in my sleep tonight, except I won't sleep because I'll be thinking of changing and setting five sets of points every 3000 miles. LOL!

Seriously, that's quite a piece of work, and that's one of the best motorcycle exhaust notes I've ever heard. Five cylinder engines sound cool to begin with, but a five cylinder two stroke takes it to the next level. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
OK, one more from mad genius Allen Millyard

Take a 50cc Honda and add another 50cc. Meanest sounding 100cc on the planet!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #649 (Edited)
A "Brand new" 999 Monoposto up on SF Craig's List. Seems a little pricy at 8.4K, but with 153 miles...
. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/danville-2005-ducati-999-monoposto-new/6908060288.html
Yeah, it is a bit on the spendy side. It's been up for some time now too. At least year....maybe more. I know it's been up since I've been looking for a Guzzi Sport 1100i. That's been at least a couple of years. It'll be up for a while and then go away and come back with a slightly lower price. IIRC it was around $10K the first time I saw it.

999/749 are not really all that sought after though. Otherwise it would have gone a long time ago. Even at $10K, it is a very low mileage example....just not collectable....yet. I'm sure they will be one day, like the 851 and 888 are now, and the 916/996 are starting down that path too.

Get in now if you want one, the prices will go crazy in another 10 years. You can get a run of the mill 999 for around $5K these days. Collectors haven't artificially inflated the prices into the "stupid money" stratosphere yet. 999Rs and FILA replicas are already there. It's only a matter of time before the more pedestrian versions follow.

I'll even cite a good example for you. A guy in the South Bay area advertised a 749 with "custom paint" for some stupid price. Well past the $10K mark. He had it painted Lamborghini gray. No one wants a gray Ducati. Not a primer gray anyway, and that's what it looks like. It disappeared and reappeared several times. Last time I saw it, the price was down to $6K and as far as I know, no one has bitten on that one. It might go at $3500 which is probably what the seller paid to have it painted that exclusive color......sean

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #650
Bike of the Day 20 June 2019

This one is going for just $4100. That's not a typo.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/san-jose-2004-ducati-749s/6905258103.html

It's an 04 and has 18K on it. Worth the asking price if you ask me. Custom paint on a Ducati to me means a bike that's been dropped and damaged. Obviously, the same can be true of the stock colors but on a bike like these originality counts for more than custom paint does.....sean

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #652

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
He is either an idiot or he doesn't really want to sell that bike.
If someone was to be in the market for a late model TZ, and willing to pay that kind of coin, for a bike with no spares, they would want to know what electronics package came with the bike, and what upgrades/modifications have been done; like the aftermarket wheels, and aftermarket shock and forks, the pipes, the airbox? All not TZ parts.

He seems to be proud that his 1998 TZ goes 150mph.
I have a 1972 TR3, Yamaha aircooled twin racer before the TZ, that was clocked at 154mph.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #657
2K starting bid, with 3.5K BIN. F.I. needs a re-flash, as it has driveability issues. At 44K miles, it might have had the top end done, but maybe not.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Moto-Guzzi-1100-Sport/113846492380?hash=item1a81c79cdc:g:1FsAAOSw94JdStwr&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500
Up in my neighborhood, kinda.
Too bad that it's already gone. I'd think it needed a bit more work than the seller thinks. Aside from a proper chip I mean. Likely need a valve adjustment too, as well as the airbox and associated vacuum lines and sensors sorted out. 1997 is the exact year I'm after too. Nice find man........sean

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #658

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Pulled the trigger

Submitted for your consideration: One 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Ballabio. Two prior old guy owners. 4500 miles. Marzocchi USDs, 320 floating rotors w/Brembo 4 piston calipers, fully adjustable Sachs rear shock, an Odyssey battery, fresh Michelins, 1k worth of Staintune slipons, 1K worth of Hepco and Becker hard bags w/rack mount, an MRA wind deflector, a Laminar wind deflector, adjustable lowered foot controls, a Roper-style windage tray, seat cowl, service manual, owner's manual, warranty book, sump and valve cover gaskets, all service records, original pegs/shifter/brake, OEM La Franconi mufflers, Db killers for the Staintunes, and probably forgetting something. Owner would not come down from $4950, but it does have all the stuff. Life is short, so I (finally) went for it.

If you subtract all the bling, I got the bike for $2,500, so I don't think I did too badly. It would have been a three hour drone along I-5, so we trailered it home.

Attachments

641 - 660 of 690 Posts