Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

661 - 680 of 690 Posts

·
Administrator
3,606 Posts
Submitted for your consideration: One 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Ballabio. Two prior old guy owners. 4500 miles. Marzocchi USDs, 320 floating rotors w/Brembo 4 piston calipers, fully adjustable Sachs rear shock, an Odyssey battery, fresh Michelins, 1k worth of Staintune slipons, 1K worth of Hepco and Becker hard bags w/rack mount, an MRA wind deflector, a Laminar wind deflector, adjustable lowered foot controls, a Roper-style windage tray, seat cowl, service manual, owner's manual, warranty book, sump and valve cover gaskets, all service records, original pegs/shifter/brake, OEM La Franconi mufflers, Db killers for the Staintunes, and probably forgetting something. Owner would not come down from $4950, but it does have all the stuff. Life is short, so I (finally) went for it.

If you subtract all the bling, I got the bike for $2,500, so I don't think I did too badly. It would have been a three hour drone along I-5, so we trailered it home.
Well, it's about time! LOL!
It's good to see you found what you were looking for. Looks like you got a good one. I've always figured I'd own a Guzzi myself one day. Entering old age flat broke looks to be altering that plan, but I'm glad you were able to do it. Congrats!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #662
Life is short, so I (finally) went for it.
Indeed. That is no joke. Do it while you can folks. The day will come when you can't ......and it may be when you least expect it, from something you least expect and you suddenly don't have tomorrow to put it off to.

Life is short. Ride hard, take chances on things you wish to do. Live life, don't simply exist.......sean

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Congrats! Great find and I hope you get a lot of miles out of her!
Four words:
1. Torque.
2. Monster.
3. Sounds.
4. Sweet.

Oh, and that über cool Ducati-esque dry clutch rattle. MmmmMmmm. Shockingly, the tranny really snick snicks - thank you Aprilia Cash! Now, to put the stock pegs (higher and farther back) back on, and some lower bars. Thing's got dirt bike bars on it. And the bag mounts go into storage. The Staintunes will stay. :wink2:

·
Registered
621 Posts
My Bike of the Day today is the 2014 KTM Freeride 350.

A buddy bought one of these machines lately, with under 70 hours from new on the clock.

It had a few issues from sitting all that time:

1: A wire was separated from the in tank fuel pump
2: A puppy had chewed through the stator wires about an inch outside the cases.

I fixed these issues for him and, as he really doesn't ride much at all, when I declined payment he gave me use of it whenever I wanted.

I've been riding it for around a week now, as the roads are too bad for my road bike and my car this wet season and it really does it for me.

Decent power, excellent suspension, fuel injected through a 41mm throttlebody, maxxis rims, billet hubs and triple clamps, stainless steel frame with forged aluminum sub-frame bracket and a composite tail.

It weighs 99kg dry, allegedly, but I can lean one leg into the side of it and lift both wheels off the ground with one hand.

Top speed seems to be around 90mph with it's current gearing, can loft the front off throttle only in first three gears.

Excellent fuel economy, trail tech gauge as standard and extremely slender profile make this thing a dream on sand, gravel, dirt or in the woods.

All of these combine to make this my B.O.D, and also make me really want to buy it too. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #665
Bike of the Day, 6 October 2019

In keeping with my current trend of finding an interesting bike on my local Craigslist and making it my bike of the day, today I found this:

A 1993 so the ad says. Available for the princely sum of $1400.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/union-city-ex-500-kawasaki-ninja-1993/6994200295.html

Looks quite original really.....the paint definitely screams 1990s to me. Anyway, as soon as I saw it, it just jumped off the page at me so it is, my Bike of the Day......sean

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Browsing motorcycles on craigslist is probably bad for my health but here we go :)

Today I found 2 KTM 360 EXC's that somehow became plated and street legal https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/cincinnati-two-ktm-stroke-street-legal/6993826171.html

45 hp on a 400 lb bike (including me) sounds like a blast. I've wanted an enduro for a while, and the 2 stroke appeals. Wish I wasn't without a job at the moment, would totally snag one of them to ride around town and on my family/friend's land. The 360 is allegedly reliable. I did a quick search and pistons and gasket kits are readily available. Not sure about the rest of the parts, but that's a start.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #667
Bike of the Day, 9 October 2019

Today's BOD is somewhat of a cult bike. Mostly because no one really knows anything about them, there weren't many brought into the US and fewer of them sold.

It is a 1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon. Basically the same bike as a Ducati Elefant. 900SS derived engine, in an off road capable (sort of) chassis with suspension to suit.

Cagiva is a pantonym I think it's called. It is a conglomeration of the founders name and the town where he founded the company. Ca is for Castiglione. gi is for Giovanni. va is for Varese. Written out, it is Castiglione, Giovanni de Varese.

Cagiva rescued Ducati from government control back in the 80s sometime. I think in Europe it's called receivership when the government takes over due to bankruptcy or something along those lines.

Anyway, Cagiva ownership produced the first major milestone super bikes as we now know them. The 851, then later, the 888 and then the 916/996/998. Also, the Monster and the slab sided 900 Supersport and Superlight. Easy to identify which ones were produced during the Cagiva era...everything has an elephant on it. That came from Cagiva.

I apologize for the ramble, anyway here is the link:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/ross-1999-cagiva-gran-canyon-ducati/6978246121.html

The seller has several and is parting with 2 for the princely sum of $3K. Apparently, he was known for building them into serious competition bikes...and knew Jimmy Adamo. Look him up kids........sean

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #669
2000 V11 Sport "Greenie" Can be had for $3500. No excuses.
No excuses? Man I got plenty of excuses if you're out! :grin2:

A) I don't have room as my shed isn't built yet

B) I already have a project 900 SS that takes every single moment of spare time I do have

C) No can do, my wife says, I have to finish the project bike first before I spend money on another bike

D) I've spent all discretionary cash on the project bike so I no longer have a "slush fund" for another bike.

That enough excuses for ya? :grin2:

You're welcome to borrow any of them you like, I don't need them back regardless if you actually use them or not. :grin2:

That goes for anyone else on the forum too. Anyone is welcome to use any of those excuses. They're free.

:grin2:.........sean

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #670 (Edited)
Bike of the Day, 19 October 2019 (twofer)

How about this one instead?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/santa-rosa-04-motoguzzi-v11-sport/6983190167.html

Seller is asking $3K. 13K miles on it. Mistral pipes. Seller says it has a salvaged title due to odometer error...what ever that means.

Or better yet, (you get two fer one today) this glorious bike:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/greenbrae-1986-ducati-f1b/6993560405.html

1986 Ducati F1B, 8,432 miles. Yours for the bargain price of $19.5K :surprise:viewing by appointment only.

....sean

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Already have an '04 Ballabio, and 4500 certified miles is fine with me. No Mistrals, but Staintunes sound just fine. Odo error is because the speedo cable has unusually sharp bends, causing cable to break. And yes, I already have a spare. Oh, and no cigarette burns.

Ducs and valve gear/adjustments just scare me. This goes back to about 1968 and trying to get all the bevel gears on a Diana MKIII to line up. And it was not a desmo.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #673

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Sorry, this is the pretty much the only Guzzi I'm after...other than a Daytona or a Magni at any rate:
The greenie is gone. Someone bit. Good, as the owner can no longer ride it and staring at it drove him crazy. The 1100 Sport is a nice bike, with a re-flash and maybe a couple of other things. I was lucky enough to run into a 2004, and the Aprilia cash had, by that time, solved virtually all of the gripes. www.V11LeMans.com helps with all the rest.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Since we seem to stuck on Italian I submit the Laverda 750SF1

SF is short for Super Freni, which translates to "Good brakes". How can you not LOVE a bike called "good brakes".
The brakes were actually probably the best on offer in it's day... well OK there was the Fontana, but this thing came stock with GOOD BRAKES!
It also had the BEST components available; Cerianni forks, Borrani wheels, Bosch electrics (even had a starter THAT WORKED. A real rarity in 1972), Lucas Switch gear, Denso gauges, styling stolen directly from Honda, IIRC it has 5 main bearings.
It's OK that you've never heard of Laverda, they didn't sell very well. They were sold as the Cadillac of motorcycles, and they were, problem was they were priced like a Cadillac CAR.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

styling stolen directly from Honda,
Stolen styling? I don't know what you're talking about... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #677

A real rarity in 1972), Lucas Switch gear, Denso gauges, styling stolen directly from Honda, IIRC it has 5 main bearings.
IIRC as well, it wasn't just the styling, but the entire engine architecture....CB77 based.

I read somewhere that some parts were actually interchangeable between the Laverda andCB77 so closely did Laverda copy the Honda.

I don't know if that's true or not. I just remember reading it somewhere.

I know Laverda used roller bearings in it's engines, same as MV. It's more likely a myth that Honda parts would bold directly on. ....sean

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #678

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #679 (Edited)
Bike of the day, 11 February 2020

Cagiva Gran Canyon. Likely very few here will even know what this is. Powered by the same air cooled, 90 degree L-twin Ducati used in the 900SS, it is an "adventure bike" from before there were adventure bikes.

Cagiva gained some renown with the Gran Canyon competing in the Paris-Dakar. When it was actually run from Paris to Dakar.

In typical Italian method, the brand name of Cagiva is actually an acronym made using the first letters of the company founder's name, and the town where he was from. CA is for Castiglione, Gi is for his first name, Giovanni and the Va is for Varese.

Anyway, the Gran Canyon was manufactured during the time that Cagiva owned Ducati. Having rescued Ducati from bankruptcy Cagiva really got Ducati through the really tough times and enabled the production of some of their legendary motorcycles.

The 851, 888, 916, Monster and the 1990s 900SS were all made during Cagiva ownership. To date, the Monster is the best selling Ducati ever made. The 851 and 888 are highly sought after by collectors now. The 900SS is rapidly becoming the same. The 916......that needs no intro nor superlatives.

The Gran Canyon was also sold by Ducati as the Elefant 900. Mostly they're the same bike though. This example is a 1999 model, and is for sale on Bay Area CL for $2000. Yep. Just a measly $2K.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/berkeley-1999-cagiva-gran-canyon-900/7072596401.html

Bike is located in Berkeley, CA.......sean

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #680 (Edited)
Bike of the Day, 17 February 2020

1969 Yamaha AS2C 125cc. Yamaha Scrambler (Only made one year) Rare Bike!
California Orange

#4 Off Assembly Line
Original Title
Original Black plates
Pink Slip in Hand
Stock Motor
Has 2 Keys and On Planned Non Operation
8,600 miles
Has modifications Externally
Needs few parts

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/bodega-bay-1969-as2c-125/7077304759.html
Found on Bay Area CL for just $1750. Bike is located in Santa Rosa, CA