681 - 690 of 690 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
Bike of the day, 21 February 2020

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/pacifica-1995-bimota-sb6/7074240490.html

1995 Bimota SB6

I've covered this bike before in "THE Bimota thread" so I'll not go into details here. This one is for sale right here in my back yard. Pacifica, CA. I have cousins there. It is for sale at an unbelievably reasonable $4500.

I've ogled and lusted after this bike since it was first released in 1994. I saw one at the London Bike Show at Alexandra Palace that year. Been a fan ever since.

For all that Bimota once stood for, it is my BOD.......sean

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #682 (Edited)
Bike of the Day, 28 February 2020

Anyone care to guess what it is?

1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD.

When I was first in the Air Force, these were being sold at fire sale prices at dealerships near where I was in school. It was 1987 and the hold overs were being unloaded to make room for new stock.

I think the closest dealer was Clinton Cycles in Clinton, Maryland. I still remember the commercials on DC 101 back then. "The Greaseman" used to do this insane commercial for them describing the experience as "bleedy blaahdy, bleedy blaahdy" rumble, with your pecs jiggling in the wind" LoL.....I used to laugh every time I heard it. 33 years later, I remember it like it was yesterday.

The reason for making this my BOD? I saw one on the highway tonight on our way to dinner. I hadn't seen one in years. The one in this CL Ad, is no where near as clean, nor as original as the one I saw this evening.

Anyway, it bought back memories of that commercial...and that it's engine is where the EX500's originated from. Fitting I thought then, to make it my BOD. Ad link below:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/san-jose-1986-kawasaki-454-ltd-en450/7076649127.html

Yours for just $1400....30K on the clocks.........sean

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Ouch! Let's see... replace the flywheel and cam chain tensioner, tighten the starter clutch screws, leaking carbs, flat battery, old tires..and...and...

Hey! We're talking a read deal here!

To its credit, if it did not exist, EX-500.com would not exist.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
Bike of the day, 29 February 2020

2003 Ducati 800SS. In silver. Kinda what caught my eye. Not seen many in silver. Red and yellow, even black are common. Silver, not so much.

This particular one is for sale at $5K by the second owner. Price is a tad on the high side, but not out of the ball park of realism.

It does have 15K miles which is also ball park for the age of the bike.

Here's the ad:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/rohnert-park-2003-ducati-800-super-sport/7084845217.html

Bike is located in Rohnert Park which is over in Saabnut's neck of the woods.

I made this my BOD, because at some point in the future, I plan on getting a Terblanche era Supersport for a project. There are more possibilities now for a more 'custom' approach to a later SS project. I'll leave it at that. Also, because this a once every 4 year day, I figured I should have a BOD for today for no other reason than that.......sean

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
Bike of the Day, 14 March 2020

1980, GPZ550.

When I first saw the pic on Bay Area CL, I thought, damn, someone's done a decent job of making a cafè bike. That's when I looked closer and thought, what the hell, it ought to be a BOD.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/san-jose-1980-kawasaki-kz550/7093492516.html

Ad above. Seller is asking $3K which I think is about the top of the market for such a bike. He states in the ad the engine is bone stock though, so should be as reliable as a stone axe.

There are additional pics and I had to put this one up:

I should add, that this genre is really not one of my favorites as it is way too easy to get very, very wrong. I think this one though, is tastefully done and not at all off the rails......sean

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Bike of the Day, 19 March 2020

If you're wondering what it is, it's an Aprilia. Way back, when Aprilia was still making a name for itself in the "big bike" market, they produced more than a couple quirky bikes. Quirky styling for the particular purpose anyway. This is one of them.

It's a Pegaso 650. This one also happens to be for sale on Bay Area CL for a whopping $1500-Ad below

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/danville-2000-aprilia-pegaso-650/7095901282.html

It has just 15K on the odometer too.

It's a 650, and the engine that powers it is a Rotax single made exclusively for Aprilia. In fact, when BMW wanted the engine for its own "Funduro" 650, they were sold with "Aprilia" still cast in the cases.

Aprilia used the 650 in several models....some, best left to history if I'm honest. For as stunning as their 2 stroke RS125 and RS250 were and the Mille R, there were some really heinous designs that emanated from the Aprilia design studio.

Some have since become "cult bikes" and I don't mean that in a cool sorta way either.....sean

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #689

2000 Buell X1 Lightning. I chose this as my BOD for a couple of reasons. 1st, any long time member here knows my penchant for early 2000s twins. 2nd, this X1 is very, very clean and original.

This one is for sale at an eye watering $8995
Here's the ad:

To be fair, this is a mint condition motorcycle with just 1800 miles on the odometer. Yes, you read that correctly.
Bike of the Day, 25 March, 2020
One more.....

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Bike of the Day for today, 28 March 2020:

Those of us of a certain age will well remember this one. It was not a bike that was sold to the general public in the manner of say, a VFR 750 of the time was. Nope. This was a limited edition bike, sold to the public to "homologate" it for use in World Superbikes. I give you, the 1990 Honda RC-30 customer superbike. It was sold in larger numbers than the bike that replaced it, the RC-45 but not in anywhere close to the numbers of the RC-51.

This particular one is for sale, right now on Bay Area CL. It was literally the 4th bike on the page as I scrolled through. I thought it was a no brainer choice for BOD...and I didn't even have to troll down the whole first page.

Asking price is an eye watering $38,900

That's not a typo. Nearly $40K for a 30 year old bike. It is apparently a zero mile motorcycle and one of about 3K ever made. The RC-30 was literally THE choice for privateer road racers at all levels of championship racing. While I don't expect there were many club racers on them, there were national level privateers all across the globe running RC-30s. Fred Merkel won the first 2 SBK World Championships on an RC-30. Joey Dunlop won on the Isle of Man on one.

I'm only guessing here, but I'm pretty sure they sold for less than $38K when they were new. The RC-45 was $28K new and that was several years on. Either way, if you want this one you can have it delivered to your door. Here's the ad: 1990 Honda RC30 -Finance it with Instant Credit Approval! -...

Bike is located in Las Vegas.

681 - 690 of 690 Posts