Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

701 - 720 of 745 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #701

Quite possibly the ugliest Ducati built in the modern era. A buddy of mine owned one, and got a personalized plate for it that read UGLYDUC.

He loved it though for all around riding. He did say though, that he felt it was utilitarian rather than a keeper. And he has a garage full of Ducatis at any given time.

This particular one is low mileage for the year, with only 12K on it. Has the full Öhlins suspension of an "S" model and some carbon fiber goodies that did no come stock on the bike. That it is selling for a mere $4950 is indicative of its relative popularity.

Owners who have them, actually love them for what they do, rather than for how they look. While I can appreciate that, I don't actually care for them other than as a prospective "re-engineering" project. And I wouldn't tear apart a pristine one for that.....sean

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #702

1976 Honda CB400Supersport
Currently for sale in the SF Bay Area, this is a one owner 20K mile bike. Yes, one owner. How awesome is that? Not something one sees much these days.

Anyway, seller is not far from where I live and is selling at a whopping $2500. Yep. Just $2500. A 1967 CB160 just sold on Bring a Trailer for a ghastly $8400. Link below if you want to see the ad for yourself:

Bike of the Day right there....and on the first page of CL ads no less.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Best, most balanced, overall performing and fun Honda ever made. One could argue the CB-1, but that's another era and another tech.

·
Registered
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 500r
93 Posts
I always wanted one of those. I had a '74 550-Four. Loved being able to kick start that four. I think I used the starter twice.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #705

1986 Yamaha SRX600. 600cc single. Real cult bike around here. I know a guy in The City who has like 5 of them. They're not super common, but not exactly rare. Though they rarely come up for sale. Given the cosmetic condition of this one, it's well worth the $1600 asking price. It does need some engine work though. Really, it's just an interesting bike.
Ad link:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Here's a stock version. Also, the SRX250 that was offered. Hard to imagine how Yammie makes it selling a seemingly endless successions of cult bikes. The 600 much better styled IMO. As to 250s, after the Diana Mk III, no 250 has ever satisfied.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Speaking of which, a good friend in HS had a 1965 Diana Mk III. Would pull the front wheel shifting to second. In HS metal shop, my bro made a hand-rolled copy of Duc's racing megaphone for him. I don't recall now, but I'm sure the neighbors dreaded each of his visits. Stock was a Brevetti "Silentium" so-called muffler. More like a loudener, but the afterfires on over-run were really cool. The needle of the Veglia tach had a mind of its own. See that little toggle switch on the tailight bracket? No one has ever figured out exactly what those did.

p.s. Bore and stroke were 74X57.8. The EX is 74X58. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Scrolling through Bay Area CL tonight, I stumbled on what is possibly the greatest ever CL offering I've ever seen. Greatest in asking price at any rate. Ladies and Gents of EX-500.com, I give you, a 1992 Honda NR 750:

Asking price for this oval piston gem of motorcycling history? $98,995

Delivered to your doorstep. That is not a misprint. The seller is really asking just shy of $100K

I'd not seen one of these change hands in a number of years so I've nothing recent to base any opinion on. Here is the link:

Now.......anyone know where I can casually pick up $100K? Go fund me maybe?

Nah. I can think of half a dozen bikes I'd rather have in my garage. All of them together woul cost less than half of the ask for this thing........sean

·
Registered
399 Posts
See that little toggle switch on the tailight bracket? No one has ever figured out exactly what those did.

View attachment 52323
I owned one of those Dianas once upon a time. The brake light circuit ran off the ground side of the primary ignition coil which was down in the flywheel magneto. The ignition coil was grounded by the brake light switch during normal operation. When you applied the rear brake, the switch opened and the ignition coil ground then had to go through the filament, lighting up the bulb. If the bulb burnt out, every time you hit the rear brake, the engine would quit so they put the switch there to act as an emergency ground. Clever or stupid? Take your pick.

I've got a '63 Bultaco Metralla that's wired the same way. Those primitive 6V AC lighting systems offered very little improvement over no lights at all!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #710

2007 Ducati Monster S4R. What does that mean exactly? It means a liquid cooled 4 valve 998cc engine, that's what that means. Also, 2007....last year of the old school frame. Pretty much the last real Monster in my eyes.

The new ones with the bigger tube but shorter frame just don't feel the same when you sit on them. The newest 1200 I sat on last year felt all hunched up to me. Tank didn't feel right......bars too close.....no thanks. I'd like an older one thanks. Preferrably a Tricolor S4RS.

I'd still take an S4R for the right deal. This one is for sale currently on Bay Area CL for a reasonable $4350. That's a lot of bike for not a lot of money.

Here's the ad:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
It was probably 2007 when I went crazy and placed a bid on eBay for an S4R with 450 miles on it, in Texas. Story was a rich guy bought it for his wife (did he love her or???) and it scared her. I was high bidder, but got sniped at the last moment. Had no idea how I was going to get it home. Ride, I suppose. Anyway, some other dude got it. Was essentially new and I think it went for about 10K(?)

Since then, the Monsters' styling has been monstrous. Proportions all wrong.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #712

This is the very year of 900SS as my project supersport. It has about half the mileage mine does....actually less. However, the fact is, it is a 1993 900SS and the asking price is $5800.

Too high in my opinion but if the seller gets what he's asking that kinda speaks to me. In my pea brain, it means I got mine at the right time and values are on the rise. I mean, they've been going up slowly but not like a leap up.

Member @Saabnut got his for much less than that, and his is a pristine example of a 1993. However, that's been 3 years ago now. I've seen cheaper examples for sale recently.

However, those were still more than what I paid for the project supersport and need as much work from what the buyers have stated.

Never thought I'd see the trend reverse from downward on these bikes at least, not in this decade. They are getting more and more difficult to find though so for those of us with them...yay us.

I'll never sell mine so market value is a moot point to me. It is nice to see that they're worth more every year though. In this case, $4K more than what I paid for mine.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I picked up mine for $3,500 with 11,000 miles in mid-2017 and with all the right, useful mods/upgrades any normal person would want and none of the BS mods. Here's a photo I took the day I purchased it, I hadn't even owned the thing for a half an hour at this point. Unlike how most things are in photos, this was actually CLEANER than it looks, and it looks almost showroom worthy in that picture.

I have a feeling in the next 10 years, the amount I paid for mine will be unheard of, basket case cheap.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Re: NR 750 above...sold!
Whoa. Didn't think it would sell that fast. As an object of motolust, I'd rank it right at the top with Ducati's Desmosedici and the Mondial Piega. Of the three, the Desmosedici is the most numerous. There weren't many NRs built and fewer brought to the US. Still more were made and sold than Piegas.

When it comes to insane engineering of a motorcycle, at least in the engine department, the NR has no equal.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #716

I'm breaking with my trend of posting Craigslist bikes that anyone can buy with this. However, it was available to the buying public, even if in a limited manner. Possibly one of the rarest production motorcycles you'll ever find. Only 35 were ever built. This one sold at auction last year at $20,000 :oops:

Insanely cheap for what it is and what it represents. So the story goes, when Soichiro Honda was getting his company ready to race on the world championship level, he toured all the major European manufacturers to develop ideas for how to best approach this endeavor. While touring the FB Mondial factory, he remarked to Count Boselli that the race carburetors being used on their Grands Prix machines might be a good start for his program.

Mr. Honda offered to buy a set from Count Boselli but the Count would have none of that. He offered to send Mr. Honda a set for free as a gentleman. As it turned out, FB Mondial was pulling out of Grands Prix after that year. When Mr. Honda arrived back in Japan after his tour of Europe, a crate arrived that contained the promised carburetors but they were still attached to one of the Grands Prix winning Mondial racers.

That racer sits in the Honda Museum to this day. At the very beginning to signify its importance to the Honda story. Thus, when Mondial proposed to restart production of a road going motorcycle, Honda repayed them for their help in the beginning by offering to supply them with engines for their new venture.

Thus the Mondial Piega is powered by an RC-51 engine. This is a rare thing indeed. Not just for the miniscule numbers built, but Honda does not typically supply engines to their competition. I can think of maybe one other......Kenny Roberts' Proton KR5 equipped with an RC211V 5 cylinder.

There was one other.....some guy in SoCal attempted to restart a motorcycle company using RC-51 engines too.....but that never got farther than a concept as far as I recall. That company went bankrupt before producing a single road bike.

Thus, the Mondial Piega is a very rare object of motolust. So few were made and with their connection to Honda it is possibly the rarest of rare. I don't think there are many others out there with fewer examples available. Possibly the MotoGuzzi MGS01. Maybe. Even Fritz Egli and Arturo Magni built more examples of their specials than Mondial built Piegas before going bankrupt.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Italian chassis and brakes, with RC-51 power. What's not to like?

Oh, as to the NR-750, I would not be surprised if Jay Leno, Keanu Reeves or Lyle Lovett ended up with it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
I imagine some well off collector bought it as well. Which really is too bad. For the rest of us I mean. It is an amazing bit of motorcycle history and one does not see them on the road.

It isn’t like old Indians or mythical Norton Manx that you might see being ridden. For the average person, they’ll likely never see one being ridden. If they did, they’d likely just pass it off as a VFR because so few recognize it for what it is.

I’ve been fortunate enough to see one outside of a museum. One that was ridden to WSBK.weekend in Monterey.
I’ve also been lucky enough to see a couple in museums.

All that stated up front, I do know a collector personally. When I state that, I mean we exchange texts every so often. His focus is relatively similar to mine except his are all Ducatis with his one exception being a Suzuki TL 1000R.

I only bring him up because like Leno, all his bikes are registered and ridden. If he’s the one that bought it then it certainly went to the right home. I’m sure he’d ride it, even if only once in a while. At least then others might get a chance to see it out in public rather than displayed in a museum. I’m sure Mr. Honda would grin proudly at the reaction it would generate among those initiated few who understand its significance

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #719

1983 Interceptor 500. Needs a resto-rescue but it appears to be all there....and the seller is asking just $900. Bike of the day just because it was the first interesting bike I happened across on CL this evening.

Reactions: Devilsfan
701 - 720 of 745 Posts